It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is A Run On Banks Being Hidden From Us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Simple question, with several similar threads. I just couldn't find one actually asking the question. If there was a run on the banks in progress, it would seem to be in the best interest (pardon the pun) of TPTB to prevent that information from becoming public. If so, this still seems to be something that we would recognize once banks start shuttering their windows, not opening for scheduled business days, etc., but are there other overt advance, current, or future signals we should be aware of? Personally, I have little to worry about since we're already broke as can be, but I know there are well educated and prepared ATSers out there with plenty to worry about. I'm pretty certain that if the government and their cohorts hadn't already taken all we have, my family would be hesitant to trust current monetary institutional conditions and situations to protect our financial future. In fact, will banks ever be the same again, or would that be a good thing---another question for another thread. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
with atms and online banking i never forsee a "bank run" ever happening.

even if it did happen the dollar would become worthless i know alot of people who buy gold and silver and save it where they have easy access.

edited to add: debit cards and checking cards have made banks irrelevant.
edit on 29-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have been telling all my friends to get their money out of the bank.Their 401's aren't safe either.

If tshtf paper money won't be worth anything anyway.

But in a mason jar or under the matress at least you'll have it

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
debit cards and checking cards have made banks irrelevant.

What do you mean? That's like saying websites have made the internet irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

I don't have any idea. Really, I don't. Just got a 2.9 percent loan for a car. And I have never been so wealthy that I could do that. It doesn't matter.........the bank is welcome to repossess this car anytime it feels it's necessary. I'll still get around..............

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by evilod

start thinking 21st century instead of the last one there are literally millions of places that accept that plastic

master card and visa the bank is where you park your money but those 2 things there you can spend that cash anywhere you want.

that is if that cash has any value.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Although there are big differences in banks (local or corporate), the value of the dollar is what you need to look at and not whether people are taking their money out of banks.

Gold and silver may seem like wise investments but you cant eat either one and no one I know will trade a roll of toilet paper for it if a crisis ever occurs. Your best bet is to invest in food, housewares and spend it on your family where you can. The entire monetary/precious metal market is over-inflated and worthless when it comes to viability and actual "value".

Let them have a run on the banks. When the actual run begins, the dollar will be worthless.

ETA: Credit and debit cards are the biggest scam I can think of that has been instituted in the last 50 years. They are fake, with no value at all. But you sure do pay fees to use them just to get back the money that was yours to begin with!
edit on 29-7-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
A run on the banks to get what?

The money is just paper/plastic - what is the point when it is worth nothing.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I generally have more cash in my possession than I did in the past when I had a much larger income than I do presently... I also have more non perishable food items, cars filled up along with gas cans and other items that I might need if there was a bank run... If there was the fat cats will bail and head out of the country and martial law would be implemented... If that occurs with the country as divided as it has been programmed to be monetarily, socially and politically.. There will be some bad stuff going down and when it is over the fat cats will return to take what is worth taking and rebuild using wet back labor, Chinese tools and equipment and mercenaries under corporate contract to wipe out any resistance efforts from survivors.... The plan is to do away with the Democratic form of government and in reality it has already been done on the national level.. The elections are just a facade just like the existence of God and heaven.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I feel like a small qualification may be in order. I agree with the sentiment that cash is "worthless" and a run on the banks may not make sense. I work around a number of folks, however, who live on cash alone and not cards including debit cards. My point is this: if banks and cash become irrelevant, a substantial portion of the population would convert whatever assets they have available including cards and cash into whatever alternative they prefer, probably beginning with "precious" metals. Of course, this isn't the route many others would take or even consider. My concern is that there could be a large enough percentage that would run on the banks and what the significance of that would be.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Whether it's an old fashioned run on the banks, or some modern day equivalent, the point is: once it reaches the point where everyone starts cashing in their dollars for something with intrinsic value, who do you think is going to care about plastic cards backed by some paper? That's when the banks become irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Guns, ammunition, hand tools of all sorts, warm clothing, hats to shade the head or keep it warm, bicycles and parts, heritage vegetable seeds canned food and stuff that is needed to sustain life... You would also do better if you have skills that others need and a good attitude about hard work.. People that unite and are resourceful will be the ones that do the best and in time they will possess the precious metals that the others traded for goods and services...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Well let's think about it...

The bank really doesn't have any money...it's all paper notes

So first of all they would stop producing these paper notes,you couldn't get your money!

The only thing you can do is already have some tangible assets on hand,so get your money out of the bank and use it now,while it does have value

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

But where can people go to convert that money/plastic into precious metals? You can't do that at the bank.

Most advertised precious metal providers actually do not offer gold-in-hand, instead it's a peice of paper stating how much gold you own.

So how are we actually supposed to get that precious metal and where is every single American going to go to get it?

There is not enough supply to meet a demand such as that, therefore rendering the gold/silver idea worthless.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
A bank run would be ridiculously easy to hide in the modern era. Since most people have debit cards or checks which have to be honored. This ease of access will stop most people from feeling like they should get their money out until its too late. IF there were a run right now, the indicator I would look at would be the number of shipments of bills from the Federal Reserve to the banks. Banks are not going to advertise they are being run on, and the Fed won't say anything either. But they can't really hide it if they have to keep ordering bills from the Treasury. Printing orders are probably available through them, but likely would take a FOIA and a visit from the FBI to get access to.

A bank run would be a psychological gut check to the economy. Everyone would be taking stock of where they are and how uncertain they feel of the future, then withdraw as much as they could just in case. So if there is one going on, of course it will be hidden. We are in a house of cards and a lot of the cards have been removed to the point people are noticing its starting to sway back and forth as it becomes more unstable.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
You should look at some small currencies to be able to answer that question. Look at the Swiss Franc and the Norwegian Krone. In Norway we had a fresh addition of international currency flowing in through the entire financial crisis. This is how we survived the crisis. If we had joined the Euro, things would have looked much worse here. The Swiss has some super-liberal laws, so they are actually facing a currency that might be too strong for their own good. There is a bank-run, but hopefully the money will come back to USA when the economy improves.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Most people NEVER even see their money, in hand. It goes from their job, to their bank, to the bill collector. Banks are nothing more than computers, with a data base of names and $$$$'s It's HARDLY the way it's portrayed on T.V. Banks don't have that much money, actually stored there. That's why...if there was a bank run...many-a-people would be FURIOUS....when the ATM ran out of money! Why do you think that you can only withdraw a certain amount from them?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
I know there are well educated and prepared ATSers out there with plenty to worry about.

If the really were "prepared' they wouldn't be worried about a run on the banks. They would have tangible assets to barter or trade if a run on the banks happened.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
with atms and online banking i never forsee a "bank run" ever happening.

It is magical thinking to think ATMs and credit cards won't be affected by a nation-wide bank run.

Do you think credit card companies will just keeping lending it out once they realize what is happening? Do you think your debit card and online accounts will still let you take out any amount you want?

I don't think you know as much about this as you think you know.

top topics

join