It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insidious. Finding a new way to scare people. (Spoilers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So I watched Insidious and figured it would be a regular ghost/demon movie, and was quite bored since I knew that the main character (the dad) was the missing piece of this movie in the beginning.

To my surprise it turned out to be about astral projection, and the scary people and demons (with hooves, a tail, and red face) who are awaiting for those who decide to try to get to the next level, apparently even those who A.P without fully knowing that there doing it.

Not only did they try to be to in your face about it, but tried to say that children especially are susceptible to this and can be dragged into the scary world of those that who choose to do harm, or take to cause harm in the "real" world, by saying that the father had the gift as well but was followed by a "women" as a child and was almost taken.

This to me was another form of brainwashing people into not trying to look into A.P, but that if your kid has a vivid imagination, they to can fall victim to not only the creepy guy in a van, but to a whole new dimension of scary things.

This made me think of parents that have children that tell great tales from dreams, and imagination/day dreaming, and begin to scare children away from following or enjoying their dreams. Would people actually begin to deprive their children from having beautiful dreams of wonderful places, because a movie told them that there are many dangers in a dream? I think so.

I was wondering what others got from this film.

BTW, this is my personal view/understanding of this film.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
To tell you the truth all they did was collect the things from the X board at 4chan and here, people talk about this stuff toward 11Pm to 4 am on X. I just shook my head I watched that in a state of sleep deprivation, it made more sense then

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
not a good film, not scary and came across like a poltergeist remake

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It started good and then [to me at least] just got dumb, predictable and the end was laughable. Just my opinion. I had higher hopes for it. Limitless was FAR better and I just watched the Game of Thrones season 1 and that was FANTASTIC! So, there are much better viewing opportunities out there.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Sure, wasn't too hard to figure the dad as the culprit, but still...

The movie did succeed (for me) in building up the creep factor...

In addition, they showed just enough of the red demon to keep the anticipation going...

Occasionally, if you looked close, you'd find creepy things just barely in sight, or for a quick time (like the creepy ghost kid in the utility room), etc.

There were GREAT jump scenes in this movie...and lots of them. Your date will be out of her seat and huddling for dear life many times.

I think maybe as we get older, we expect more from horror movies....because more scared us when we were younger. Some go in thinking they have to "front". That's fine...but you really lose some of the fun of these movies by doing so, and not letting yourself get sucked in.

Does the Exorcist scare me anymore? No. Did it before? Sure. etc. This was really one creepy and scary flick, if you let it be.....

(and you can't say that clowned up family wasn't creepy...because man, that was pretty damn creepy)....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

ANY clown is scary, especially if you saw the movie "It" when you were younger, the grins on their clown like faces I have to say is original, nobody has really played on that for a while, unless you include the movie "Saw".

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Insidious had an amazing build up sequence from the beginning. I was very impressed with the techniques used to cause that build up..but then the movie got right around the half-way point and it's like they gave up! Once the whole astral projection story came in to play it went downhill, quick.

I didn't even much mind the astral projection theme, but they must have ran out of money or something because it got really cheesy. Too bad, could have been a really good movie.

top topics

join