It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians: Is it moral to abstain from sex within marriage?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is a question about birth control and Christianity. I have always thought of Christian sexual morals as being like the Duggar family, a sort of unlimited fertility. This has always bothered me because I grew up in a poor household and knew that it was not possible for every family to live well when they had too many children. This problem has always stood in the way of me accepting Christianity's opposition to birth control. But, I am doubting my previous stance now, and want to see it from a different angle.

I understand that God said, "be fruitful and multiply." I understand that birth control is a direct contradiction of this commandment and that it is morally wrong. I also understand that the only acceptable method of birth control is abstinence from sex, and that it is moral to abstain from sex before marriage. What I do not understand, and hope that you can help me with, is this: what if a man and woman get married and the wife doesn't want children, so she decides to abstain from sex with her husband even after the wedding? Is this immoral?

I know there are easy jokes here (haw haw all marriage is sexless) but I think that this is a serious question and it has always stood in the way of me understanding Christian sexual morals. I hope that someone here can help me find the truth in this issue.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have always been under the impression that no birth control was a restriction of the Roman Catholic church. I have been to several denominations within Christianity and have never heard of the no birth control rule from anyone but the Catholic church.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

My friend , that is not what religion is about .
Has mankind not been fruitful and multiplied ? I think we honored that requirement . So , be strong , put a jimmy hat on and enjoy your wife knowing that you have done no wrong

link   
ya its automatic at 50

link   
1 Corinthians 7:3
New International Version (©1984)
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

New Living Translation (©2007)
The husband should fulfill his wife's sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband's needs.

need more be said?
neither mention birth control...
edit on 27-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: duh

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The only "Christians" that I am aware of making birth control a no-no is the Catholic church

. I am a Christian from a very conservative family (3 brothers are preachers) and we whole-heartedly believe in birth control.....

As for withholding sex within marriage: YES it's wrong! And just plain cruel too!

edit on 7/27/11 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

guess i should have spread it out more.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
While the Catholic view states that, I disagree. From all the teachings from Jesus, I will say birth control is a sign of self control for your actions and a sign of responsibility. Now, when it is stated to avoid promiscuous women, over indulgence of alcohol or drugs, you might want to listen.

There is nothing positive to gain from any of those uses.
the Bible also states that you should love your wife and children as you do God and yourself. The main concepts are basic and easy to understand. Enjoy life, but be responsible for your actions.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Really?

Isn't Christianity about following Christ's teachings? Don't you think we're passed the point of needing to populate the planet? Do you, like the Duggars, just want to populate the planet with people who are Christians and Republicans?

Is that all your wife is, a baby maker? Is that all sex is, baby making? Don't you think that you can grow spiritually together and NOT make a baby?

If your marriage is sexless because your wife isn't ready for children, does that mean you can masturbate? Can your wife? What does Jesus say?

What does any of this have to do with your salvation?

link   
A benevolent god would not give humans the ability to both have sex and to enjoy it if he did not want you to have sex and enjoy it.

link   
Until you know how to only shoot a single sperm at a time and only shoot when you plan on having a baby i would say yes abstain from cumming at all. Tought constitutes life, decision constitues thought, sperm choose swim left or right, cuddle or not, sleep or be awake that means they are really living thinking beings already not at five months prenant or whatever, so if you kill them you are really murdering you baby girls and boys. Just something that changed my life i want to pass on, now i will not shoot at all for i love them i even talk to them and communicaate with them.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BabiesGame69

wow dude... um, they have pills for that ya know.

i say ask your priest where in the bible dose it command that sex be only for procreation. don't let him jump into dogma, demand the verses.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BabiesGame69
Until you know how to only shoot a single sperm at a time and only shoot when you plan on having a baby i would say yes abstain from cumming at all. Tought constitutes life, decision constitues thought, sperm choose swim left or right, cuddle or not, sleep or be awake that means they are really living thinking beings already not at five months prenant or whatever, so if you kill them you are really murdering you baby girls and boys. Just something that changed my life i want to pass on, now i will not shoot at all for i love them i even talk to them and communicaate with them.

You do know holding "the boys" inside won't save them, they'll die anyway? They don't live forever inside you. As a matter of fact, the male body considers sperm an enemy and creates antibodies to kill the sperm. Nature counteracts that natural reaction by creating several "nurse sperm" per one regular sperm to protect it from the male's own imune system.

That's why men feel "the need" to ejaculate. If it doesn't come out natually, it will come out while you sleep. OH NO Lilith got you while you slept. You are cursed!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its a belief system filled with hypocrisy...every rule they make is ultimately not followed or broken- unless your super orthodox, and then, you prolly have a really boring and crappy marriage. I like when Christians are against gay sex acts, when alot of str8 Christians perform the same acts.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Umm, you're married. Didn't the lord say be fruitful and multiply ?
But the Duggars are a bit much....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BabiesGame69

Star for you, that was beautiful.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
ummm im assuming here by "sex" u mean orgasm?

so "Is it moral to abstain from orgasm within marriage?

YES! ( point of view? )

lol

awww common,,,,
,, over and over will not work!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
God walked in the garden with man in those days, I think the be fruitful and multiply was conversation not a command! think about it the earth was pretty empty at the time! We know it is over burdened with us now.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What is being discussed in this thread is actually Religion and Religious dogma. Once again we find a division between Spirituality and the teaching of Religion.

In a Sprit filled relationship you would not need to ask if you should abstain from sexual intercourse with you partner or if as a couple decide to use modern medical breakthroughs to lessen the chance of conception. Your love would become your guide, and your respect for your partner would be the deciding point.

But to answer the question colored by Religious Dogma:

Abstinence with in the vows of marriage is absolutely in direct opposition of the teachings of the Christian Church. Both Protestant and Catholic sects embrace this teaching.

In today’s world Birth Control has become a grey area with the Protestant sect of Christianity. In earlier years birth control was also forbidden by Protestants. Today only the Roman and Eastern Orthodox Catholic’s still teach birth control to be outside of the Church’s teaching.

The acceptable birth control within the teaching of the Church would be the “Rhythm Method”, and if conception occurs “it was the will of God”

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It is wrong to withhold sex in marriage. Christians should have sex all the time it is great fun and exercise for the heart, mind, and soul. I sex is one of the points that makes marriage so great. Sex is integral part of keeping a marriage whole. Without sex in marriage temptations will start to arise and resentment will likely form between the couple.

Birth control is fine.

Remember have sex and lots of it.

Raist

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join