It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Cemetary Officials Still Preventing Christian Prayer at the Funerals of Military Veterans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I don't know who to believe here but if this is true, it is digusting and unaceptable.

oneoldvet.com...
edit on 27-7-2011 by Skorpiogurl because: Different link

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
link does not work

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Don't veterans get governmental endorsed funerals? That makes sense then. Although, this is an area where I wouldn't be picky about it.

Are these single funerals, or for multiple deceased veterans at a time?

If people want to be religious about their funeral, they can get a private one. The government will not, and should not ever, regulate private family matters.

~
Though it'd be easier if the link worked, it's fox news, so they're gonna be vague about why and under what situations, and instead portray it as an attack on christians. Probably.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Sorry bout that. I couldn't get the link from Fox News to work...

Try now, I changed the link, it's the 5th story down on that site... which leads you to the original story on Fox News.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yea the article is trying to make this a liberal or PC issue when its clearly not. Im pretty sure the govt offers to bury those who served. I have a couple of family members with military graves.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Reply to post by acmpnsfal

Forgot to add if the govt is paying for it than you should not be allowed to do those things.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

Explanation: Link is here...

Texas Lawmaker Calls for Congressional Probe Into Ban of Christian Prayers at Military Funerals [foxnews.com]

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

edit on 27-7-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix buggy emoticon.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

thanks for fixing. imo some opportunist populistic politician tries to make mountains out of molehills.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Omg this is disgusting.

I can never imagine this happening over here in the UK.

If it did I think there would be a rumpus over here.

Not only are they interfering in your life's now they try and dictate what you can say or do at your loved ones funerals. Shocking. I hope you lot fight back over this.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Yeah like I said, I don't know how much of the story to believe but just the fact that it's a story makes me sick.

I used to be bothered by the fact that in my brothers church stands an American flag.

What was said about mixing religion and politics?

I live near an area that was founded so that people could form a congregation with the freedom to worship as it chose without the intereference of government. So things like this hit close to home!

Yes, I am talking about Pilgrims.

It's just gross.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

So much for this separation of Church and State when if true, The Government interferes with Peoples funerals, a very despicable move on their parts.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
My after-reading post got posted.

The article was poorly written, with a lot of conjecture. To start with. (As usual from Fox News)

It's a governmental endorsed funeral, for several fallen soldiers who were, and have families of, varying faiths. Anyways, the prayers aren't banned, it said they have to be approved by the families. Which isn't oppression, it's logical.

If you don't belief in heaven, but have to listen to the man on the podium repeat that you're deceased family member is in heaven, that only harshens the reality that they're gone. If you're a muslim, and you're being told that their with the christian god now, that's blasphemy on top of disrespecting the dead.

This isn't an attack on the majority(christianity), it's trying to serve fairness for the minorities. It is not putting down a religion by not supporting it, it's trying not to promote it by taking it's hands off.

You want a religious funeral, have a private one, don't make the government pay for it and other families sit through it.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Unless youre all reading andifferent article I'm a little confused about the outrage here. In the article I just finished reading it seemed quite clear that the issue at hand is that the cemeteries policy is to ask the family prior to services if they want a religious funeral with the word god or jesus involved. Not once have they demonstrated that the cemetery officials refused to allow religious speech at funeral services. The closest it seems they came to crossing that line was not speaking
To the family prior to a particular service and the honor guard insisting on proceeding as planned because they refused to bother a grieving widow during her husbands service. At that point the article became rather vague and didn't say which way things ended up but added enough fluff conjecture and hyperbole to make you think they were banning prayer at gunpoint. Even more egregiously, the insinuation is that this is the express order of the Obama administration as opposed to a VA policy. as long as we keep playing these ridiculous partisan games we will never function as a nation because we will constantly be dividing ourselves over petty ideology.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Yeah it was a bad article. If it's a case where several funerals happen at the same time then yes the service should be in general with no specific religion involved.

Maybe I am looking to much into it but I feel like it's just one more thing to have control over.

There are towns around me where people are only allowed to use white lights at Christmas and they are not allowed to have anything religious out for public display. Really? Last I knew the town wasn't paying my mortgage, I was.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

simple but logic. the true crime is that some politicians try to make prejudices and anger out of a misinterpretation.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Public display? As in on public property, or on a home property? There's been cases in recent years about on public property, mostly resolving that they can't be fair to all beliefs doing so.

But the right to put displays on your own property, I never heard of that being taken away. I'm not religious, but any person has the right to put whatever display they want on their yard, unless it's too obscene for the local society. If that actually happened(I'd need citations to belief it), It should be challenged and the city would lose. No court would rule specifically against religious displays(maybe certain obnoxious ones, but not all in general). White Christmas lights, probably a safety concern or something, simple local decision.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

you would be free to pay for your own funeral and give thanks and praise to the giant spaghetti monster in the sky if you want. The issue is doing so with government money.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

There are towns around me where people are only allowed to use white lights at Christmas and they are not allowed to have anything religious out for public display. Really? Last I knew the town wasn't paying my mortgage, I was.

Depending on where you are referring to, that is the choice of a neighborhood association'. IT really doesnt relate to the topic here at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join