It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know laser pointers are now considered a threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
oh no its true, go watch some videos on youtube about the brainwashing mainstream media brag about how great it would be if they would ban green laser pointers from the general public...

Now these high powered laser pointers are not conventional like your standard red laser pointer

Green light (532nm) appears 15 times brighter to the human eye so the lowest power of this light would make the laser beam visible...
and some people like to play around with 125mW green lasers (300 times brighter than red laser) and it can also burn stuff lol...

But just because a couple of idiotic children point it at helicopters or at airplanes seriously blinding their vision for a temporary moment, that means they have to ban all lasers being shipped to the U.S and else where?... hah what a bunch of idiots maybe they should add an age restriction instead

here is a picture of what the laser beam looks like just to give you an idea of how bright it actually is

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatAppleKing

Laser pointers have been considered a threat/weapon for quite some time now, fairly easy to see why when a small minority use them to blind pilots or drivers, it's like anything else; almost everything on the planet can be misused.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Guns don't kill people, people do, with guns.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
dam, im behind the times, i didnt think you could actually make a beam of light, thats wicked though, ill be sure to try and get one before theyre outlawed.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
unfortunately most of these "children" playing with lasers are in their 20's and 30's. most actual children couldn't afford over $100 for a laser. add to that that many also are increasing the power on their lasers as well through simple "booster" plans found on the internet. last time i saw someone "playing" with a laser (red diode), was a DRIVER of a DUMP TRUCK traveling on a highway at highway speeds.

an outright ban is not the answer as it's easy enough to pull the laser diodes out of DVD, CD and even play station and x box drives. the electronics to "boost" them are cheap and can be bought at any radio shack store. perhaps they should try educating people and crack down on people using them to harm others would be a better answer.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatAppleKing

My friend has one of those green lasers... Kinda trippy to use it inside, with all that crazy laser radiation you see out of the peripheral vision. Could use it in place of a lighter but a lil more risky lol

Came in a case, it was boring after 10 minutes.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Look at this beast.
The hulk 200mW green laser.
I bet they're banned already in the UK. (anything fun usually is)

edit on 26-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wicked lasers sells a 1 watt (1000 mw) blue laser that would light your bluejeans on fire from across the street, and only costs $299...

Since they have been for sale, I have never heard of one ever being used to harm anyone...

seems some people have notified the media to play up any story and hype this until they can get more legislation passed against these devices..

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stoptheinsanity2012

Uh dude? lol its 2011 the military has laser weapons that can bring down an enemy missile or aircraft before they are even a threat

although they use infrared lasers (invisible light)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I actually had to laugh at an old episode of CSI Miami I saw a few days ago, where a guy who was really annoyed by the noise of planes brought one down with a green laser pointer. They actually state on the show that it's a green laser under 5mW, yet it physically burned the corneas of the pilot who was flying thousands of feet in the air. He actually had burns on the surface of his eye.

This must have been aired during all the paranoia about lasers, but it was complete garbage! Yes, laser pointers can distract pilots, but that's it. I have a green laboratory laser that is rated at something like 175mW, and I can just about feel it burn from a few feet away.

Most ordinary pointers are 1-2mW which can only cause damage to the eye if you stare into the beam. Even though you can now buy 1-2W lasers that can cut through materials, I don't think I've heard of any assaults with lasers for years when they first became available.

It was a fad toy to the fools that used them for no good. As someone has already said, banning them won't make them go away when anyone with a little technical skill can find a video on YouTube and make one from any of the lasers you would find in the home.

I have a friend who has a pilots license and is currently training to fly commercial aircraft. Lasers were mentioned in training, but they say you would have to have one mounted on a tripod and be able to point it perfectly at one window of a plane that is flying hundreds of miles an hour. Even then, it's so far away all it would do is make the cockpit glow a pleasant green!

If they are banned in the UK, it will just follow everything else that was banned for no good reason, because they listen to the media who ALWAYS get it right!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
You can tune up even the cheapest pointer if you can remove the "guts" without tearing it apart. Most have a very small box with a slot (for eyeglass type screwdrivers) that will boost the laser enough to melt ice.
If you turn the screw too far it will fry the laser so only try it on the cheap ones.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The blue lazers previously mentioned are capable of combusting human flesh. If you ramped one of those up, you could cook a person or punch a hole right through them.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
High powered lasers ARE dangerous and SHOULD HAVE NEVER been allowed to be in the hands of the public. My friend had a normal red laser beamed into her eye by some punks at the mall and we couldn't figure out who did it. Luckily the red one did no permanent damage. If I could have found out who those kids were I'd have seriously injured them, regardless of age or consequences.

If the punks can use high-powered ones, they can blind people and can easily get away with it. Unlike other weapons, there is very little tell-tale evidence that they are being used. Should people have the right to blind you in one eye and never get caught?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

High powered lasers normally emit a very visible beam that can be seen from all angles. My green lab laser emits a beam of light that is almost solid.
Even if I did want to use it for the wrong reasons, my main concern would be that anyone who sees the beam only has to look along along it to see me aiming it. Plus, as I mentioned before, it becomes extremely hard to point accurately over long distances. The slightest wobble to the laser could move the beam more than a few feet.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Considering children (and some immature adults) also point them at Commercial jets, private planes, private / commercial helicopter pilots, Yeah, they are dangerious.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

You can easily mod these bad boys to actually be capable of heating and sometimes catching stuff on fire
, but to use these just to blind pilots..well it's just idiotic.

new topics

top topics

join