It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Plus-One coming to ATS on a trial basis...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

googleplussearch.chromefans.org...

I just searched abovetopsecret and there was less links than searching above top secret.

Only time will tell.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think it should require members to OP-IN if they want the option enabled.
That way no one has to go through hoops to figure out how to disable it.
If ATS doesn't make any money off it then why force it's members to jump through hoops to figure out how to make sure that feature is disabled?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The naivety of the ATS staff is starting to get funny.

+1 will have to pass your vetting the code in order for ATS to put it on their website. Google knows this, like Facebook, +1 will masquerade as non threatening. Time will pass and users on this site and others will get used to seeing the widgets, much like how we Digg and SU widgets everywhere.

Then one day Google will make a minuscule change to their ToS regarding +1. A little more time will pass and ATS will find Google is no longer acting as friendly in regards to giving out their +1 source codes. ATS might at this point start snooping around a bit and discover that the +1 widgets are transmitting every IP that views every page back to Google. Then what? Its too late at this point, ATS's millions of page views a day will have been tracked and analyzed.

Google has used private settlements to hide their privacy violations, they are very good at doing it. You think the biggest presence on the web hasn't gotten there by doing illicit things? Think again.

Google cannot be trusted. For that matter it appears ATS cannot even be trusted.

It also doesn't take a conspiracy nut to figure out its all about the Benjamin's.

ATS and its owners may very well like conspiracies and it may even be one of their hobbies, but make no mistake about it with lines in their ToS banning usage of Ad-Blocking software, the joining of ATS on Facebook (this makes it a partnership whether they admit it or not) and now the introduction of Google's +1.

ATS and its owners and operators are in business for one thing and one thing only TO MAKE MONEY. Cold hard cash. Joining Facebook was meant to increase exposure and membership base, those both INCREASE REVENUE. Now they are looking to increase it further by using the next biggest source of potential membership... Google.

But hey don't fault them, this is what business is. ATS is a business and it makes money. Of course we have two options we can either believe the ATS "royalty" when they moan, "But we only do it for the community, we make nothing, it only supports our website, blah blah blah." Or. We can look at their ACTIONS and see that they are trying to make money.

What I'm trying to say is, its not an evil plan, ITS JUST BUSINESS.

-Lightrule

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I assume that anything I put on the web can be connected to me by the security state if it wants to. In fact the security state can connect me to things I didn't put on the web if they really want to. In fact the security state can just skip to the chase and have me run over at a cross walk if it really wants to.

Consequently, I don't worry too much about it.

I'm more annoyed by the "dunning" intrusions of social networks like FaceBook. They are becoming the "Fuller Brush" men of the internet. The door to door salesmen or cold calling boiler room style telephone sales people of the internet. They are "effing" annoying.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
lol the Irony of ATS teaming up with google...like the very first reply to this...embrace ignorance...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightrule
A little more time will pass and ATS will find Google is no longer acting as friendly in regards to giving out their +1 source codes.

If that happens, it will be removed.

transmitting every IP that views every page back to Google. Then what? Its too late at this point, ATS's millions of page views a day will have been tracked and analyzed.

You do realize your ISP is doing that now, with every website and TCP/IP packet going into and out of your computer... right?

edit on 28-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm seeing this as a good trade off between Google and ATS. They will both get more traffic as a result of this. Not that Google needs it though.

My opinion is and it always will be... if you have nothing to worry about as to the postings and searches you do on the internet, you have nothing to worry about. Certain sparsely used keywords in normal everyday conversations are not going to raise flags to 3 letter organizations because the constant optimization just isn't there. This is what they rely on. If it's a constant thing and they're being used in the same types of conversations over and over again that seem to do nothing but escalate, that's a different story. I've done enough SEO work, content creation and traffic analization to know better. Besides which, if you can talk in a code that will bypass all this, it means nothing anyway. The Navajo's had that down to a science, remember?

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times....ATS is BAD ASSSSSSS!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
you have nothing to worry about

For now, at least.

My real name is associated with my Gmail account, which is associated with many things ATS-related, including my account for Google search preferences.

Over the years (three years ago much more than now), I performed searches on some incredibly subversive terms and phrases in the course of digging further into content that originated on ATS.

Nothing ever happened. No unmarked vans. No troubles at the airport (even when flying to DC). No problems getting a passport.

Which is kind of sad, as a part of me was hoping something would happen so I could write about it on ATS.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You have to be a credible threat buddy, and I don't think you qualify. I think what they do anyway is start with the people they are already keeping an eye on, and there's probably quite a few, and branching out from there. If what you or anyone else does on the internet does not touch one of those branches, they're not going to see you.

People have to remember that these types of organizations only have so many people "manning the switchboards" so to speak. People are concerned that they have millions of files to go through and that our personal security has been breached. Technically maybe, but for all practical purposes how on earth can a few thousand people go through hundreds of millions of pages of online activity? Keywords. It's a shortcut that Google itself keeps perfecting which is precisely why they are the internet monster they are. If I want to find out about Denver real estate, that is precisely what I'll put in the search bar. How else am I going to find? I know that the techniques that some organizations use are a lot more high tech, but the principle is the same.

For all you people out there worrying that jack booted thugs are going to kick down your door at any time, remember that this is all about business. This is a marketing tool. That's it. I really don't think there is anything sinister going on here. Some people just need to get over themselves and quit thinking that other people are watching them all the time. There's too may of us and too few of them.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Wow. I've been gone for awhile, and to find this out... jeez.

Well, I'll throw my 2 cents out there and let it go.

I don't think it's a good idea.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Lightrule
A little more time will pass and ATS will find Google is no longer acting as friendly in regards to giving out their +1 source codes.

If that happens, it will be removed.

transmitting every IP that views every page back to Google. Then what? Its too late at this point, ATS's millions of page views a day will have been tracked and analyzed.

You do realize your ISP is doing that now, with every website and TCP/IP packet going into and out of your computer... right?

edit on 28-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

I'm glad to hear that Skeptic. I value my privacy, well, as much as I have of it online.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
How come?

Gmail logged out, Ats logged out.

Yet made an screengrab, that google+ here on ATS knows who I am??

imageshack.us...

edit on 29-7-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

And while I am logged in Google + is inactive??

imageshack.us...
edit on 29-7-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Did you clear out your cookies and check your saved user names and passwords in your browser to make sure it is not something on your computer?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
ISP are doing it right now skepticwhatlord,

now google have their users/members on a huge screen pinpointing where everyone are awesome !

not the Internet service provider but google!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Google+, Facebook, MySpace.... they are promoted as 'Social Media' but they are merely Advertisement media...

i have issues with the linking & connections made which will most assuridly contain Ads, Product Icons & Logos and Streaming content that will add to your monthlyinternet bandwidth useage...

So, having tiers of bandwidth under 2 gigs will almost be an impossibility, therefore the higher priced tier of 3 gigs will be assessed the average web user,

I feel that the promoters, the product sponsers should bear the whole cost of streaming Ads to unwary recipients instead of the guys & gals that get buttonholed / blindsided by the Facebook advertisers poising as friends-of-friends...

Now if Google+ is dedicated to more than an advertising wet dream, kindly outline it for us members.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You guys run a great website, and I have really enjoyed it the couple of years that i have been here.

I also understand that this is good business, you won't find a more ardent capitalist than me...I sell tomatoes and goats...you sell a website and traffic.

But I like being on the fringe. I am not terribly social by nature...not that i don't like people, but my public job requires me to like people even when I don't want to. The last thing I need is to start social networking.

Yes, I can opt out...but it's just one more pop up flash wizbang that annoys me now when I come here...

ATS is getting more traffic, but a lot of it is also motre juvenille...and will continue along that route as it becomes more mainstream.... same reason i tend to avoid YouTube... just full of stupid stuff.

So...I have options and it is a free country and if I don't like it.... I don't have to come here as often...point taken.

'Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
invites or it didn't happen...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
. People are concerned that they have millions of files to go through and that our personal security has been breached. Technically maybe, but for all practical purposes how on earth can a few thousand people go through hundreds of millions of pages of online activity? Keywords.

I don't think you've read other messages in this thread, or maybe you just don't care. But in case someone else is reading this: it's not about "personal security" (although it's a perfectly valid and legitimate concern). It's about the fact that based on those keywords the automatons over at Google are DEPRIVING you of information. The more Google (thinks it) "knows" about you, the less information you will be getting. Unless you are interested only in Denver real estate. Are you? I hope not.

Let me ask you: does the date December 4, 2009, mean anything to you?
If not, then read this

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, it is what it is.

I do not know if I am going to use it or not. Maybe

I do not care what people say. Google tracks certain things(words)..... People say impossible..... I say that is what the supercomputers do.

But hey, you guys gotta do what you gotta do. I do appreciate you not charging a fee.

So I cannot complain.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

Leaked Internal Microsoft Video Making Fun Of Gmail For Reading All Your Emails

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join