It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway attacks: Anders Behring Breivik insane - lawyer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Norway attacks: Anders Behring Breivik insane - lawyer

www.bbc.co.uk

The lawyer defending Anders Behring Breivik, who admits carrying out Friday's mass killings in Norway, says his client is probably insane
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
no kidding - but is he really insane , or is this just a prelude to a defence strategy ?

simply killing > 90 people does not make a person insane , but claiming insanity is a very common defence tactic

norway has no capital punishment - but its been shown in many previous cases that hospital is preferable to prison

and more important - once the dust settles - and you can demonstrate sanity - its easier to gain freedom than parople from prison

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Actually, anyone willing to kill 90 people including children is insane...

Wether or not he'll be awarded that legal protection we will see.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't see how being insane should be able to get you off with a lighter sentence.Surely if he is insane then he is more of threat then someone who just killed for a reason.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've been hearing that the maximum sentence is 21 years in Norway. I did however hear on the news last night, that an additional 5 years can be added at the end of a sentence, continuously if someone is deemed a threat, in which case he could spend the rest of his life in prison. Has anyone else heard about that too. Just wondering.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just because hes not Muslim, they call him insane...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
I don't see how being insane should be able to get you off with a lighter sentence.Surely if he is insane then he is more of threat then someone who just killed for a reason.

They will hopefully lock him up in some heavily guarded asylum for rest of his life.
Even though we dont have lifetime prison sentences here, they can in some situations lock them up for life if they severely insane and dangerous.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Osama Bin Laden was...

-NOT caught in the act with the weapon in hand
-NOT proven to be the perp of 9/11
-NOT arrested peacefully
-insane

So does he get a "retrial" then? Can they go get his body out of the "ocean" where they gave him a "proper burial, in respect to his religious views"?

The # bag should be dead already, now they're tryna pin him "insane" to get him outta prison and into a mattress room.. Justice my ass.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Just to straighten out some facts:

68 people died at the youth camp. I suspect most were more 'young adults' than 'children' as they were politically active.

the paper claims a total of 76 people killed by this man's actions, which seems to indicate that 8 died as a result of the fertilizer bomb he detonated.

He has not plead insanity as a defense.

He will undergo a psychiatric evaluation, but that seems proforma for such a case.

--------------------------

I think that this is probably someone who will refuse to accept a 'not guilty' plea (much less via insanity) as his narcissism and messianic nature is apparent. In my opinion this is a sociopath we are dealing with, and life in an institution for the criminally insane seems in order. But that's just me.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I read somewhere that he already plead not guilty. Or am I mistaken?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

You may be right.... I will have to investigate further. I suppose it depends on the charge.... and since I have no clue about how the Norwegian justice system works, I should probably retract that statement.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

We do not practise death penalty in Norway and we don't believe killing a criminal solves anything. The longest jail sentence possible in Norway is 21 years (30 years, in cases of attack on humanity). However, in serious cases, one can sentence to custody up to 21 years, which can be renewed by the end of the period if the criminal is still considered a danger to the society.

When it comes to the possible "insanity"-pleed, he can be sentenced to mental treatment for the rest of his life. This will, in his case, mean that he will never be allowed to walk freely again. Insanity does not mean he is free to go
)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If he's insane, then he's functionally insane. Much like a functioning alcoholic. By all accounts, this is not a stupid man. Especially if he did this all by himself. Think about what he did and the time frame in which he did it. Again, by all accounts, he achieved exactly what he wanted to achieve, right down to being taken alive. This was an extremely well planned and executed attack that would make any Navy Seal jealous if it weren't for the fact that he killed 76 innocent civilians. You can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to be military strategists poring over what he did to see if they can implement his plan of attack into their methods of operation.

This is precisely what makes this "man" so dangerous. He lives in a fantasy world where he is the leader of a revolution that will take upwards of 60 years to come to it's fruition, yet he has the mental wherewith-all to do what he did.

Not only is he crazy, but he seems to be highly intelligent. Norway should not release this man under any circumstances.........ever.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by phlake

What I'm saying, is that Osama Bin Laden wasn't given the death penalty either. He was killed in his home.

ABB was ON an island slaughtering young adults when he was confronted. Why wasn't he killed in action? That's not a dealth penalty, that's "Oh shoot it's a bunch of dead people around here and HE has a gun."

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This insane thing is crap and we all know it. the fact hes killed 90+ people doesnt make him insane the fact hes not muslim makes him insane. trust me if this dude was muslims or even had brown skin they would say he was fully aware of what he was doing it for his "god", his book tells him to kill blah blah blah. And people are so quick to say hes not christain lol why? Because hes killing people? But yet again we label terrorist as muslims and say they are following their holy book? When infact they aren’t allowed to kill, let alone commit suicide

but because hes a Christian, right winged, white skin, blond hair, blue eyes we say hes insane because we dont want to look like the hypocrites we are. because he killed his fellow people we call him insane what about the crimes that other "terrorist" do to their own people and others? do we just call them all insane? nope we call them sane why? Is because we want someone to blame for the bad things happening.

Its funny watching and reading about the world making up excuses for him

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Ah, I misread
)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I heard he was also high on drugs at the time. what drugs I dont know. As a poster said before anyone who carries out such actions is clearly insane. No normal straight thinking individual would do such a thing. Most normal people can express some form of empathy with others, even if they detest their political beliefs.

I'm not saying let the guy off the hook, he is clearly a danger to society and I'm sure he will never be released from prison.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In the Manifesto he spoke of the crimes he was to commit as "Gruesome, but necessary.".

He knew what he was doing and that it was wrong.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by Maxmars

I read somewhere that he already plead not guilty. Or am I mistaken?

He admitted the offense but denied criminal responsibility which is why it will go to trial.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Given the following quote from his "Manifesto," it would surprise me very much if he mounted an insanity defense.

Unless of course it's a case of "do as I say not as I do" which would be par for the course for an extreme egoist/narcissist.

Source: Page 947 (I refuse to link to it because I do not want it to proliferate on the net)

Post-operational phases – propaganda and consolidation

Apprehension
If you for some reason survive the operation you will be apprehended and arrested. This is the point where most heroic Knights would call it a day. However, this is not the case for a Justiciar Knight. Your arrest will mark the initiation of the propaganda phase.... Your trial offers you a stage to the world.

Contribution to consolidation from the inside
In light of your newly acquired status as a living martyr for the cause, this newly acquired influential position will allow you to significantly contribute to further consolidation of either a national or pan-European Overseer organization or the establishment of a national prison movement (preferably political).

Alternatively:

Escape from prison and initiate your “bonus operation”
If you established a “third depot” you may use this in order to execute your bonus operation which will involve the execution of 1-5 category A and B traitors of your choice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join