It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murdoch-Owned Times Cartoon About Hacking Scandal Draws Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Murdoch-Owned Times Cartoon About Hacking Scandal Draws Fire

www.huffingtonpost.com

The cartoon appeared in Thursday's edition of The Times, a News Corp.-owned paper. It was drawn by the paper's resident cartoonist Peter Brookes. Under the word "Priorities," the cartoon depicts a group of starving Somalian children—a reference to the famine and humanitarian crisis currently devastating that country. One of the children says, "I've had a bellyful of phone-hacking."

An editor at the Guardian posted the cartoon on Twitter, and it immediately caused a huge outcry. "Horrendous" was just one of the terms being used to describe the drawing.

One of the more notable r
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The cartoon in question:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/887e257791d8.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the comments in the above article reads "So instead of the day after day after day of tasteless headlines and glee by the NY Post during the Anthony Weiner scandal, they should have had the crisis in Somalia on the front page?"

Spot on - The NY Post (Murdock's go-to rag for muchraking and rumor-mongering) posted ad-naseum on the Weiner scandal. A scandal that involved one congressman texting pics of himself. However, when it's a billion-dollar media empire embroiled in police bribery, bribery of the Prime Minister's office, and hacking into phone accounts of terror and murder victims - THIS is when News Corp feels we should just move on. Yessir, now can we get back to Weiner's weiner?

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
LOL smokescreen

Yea there are other important things going on in the world....but as a single human being we are powerless to do anything to help....thats what are governments are for....to give away our money to other people.

News International want to push the limelight on to something else....to cover their own arses, and in the hope that people forget....sick sick people!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious that this (deflection) is one of if not the biggest reason that those with the power and money to do something about famine don't: easy to dismiss actions that are reprehensible when there is always something far more depressing going on somewhere.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think it's quality. However I am truly twisted.

None the less, there are many more important things going on in the world today.

This is NOT even new news, the hacking scandals been going on for years; sure Murdoch has tons of money and perhaps does not use it in the ways each of us like, but it is his money?

At least he made it from making something, even if most of it's drivel.

I think the eyes should be pointing somewhere entirely different and unfortunately it is NOT Somalia, even though that is very sad.

What's next in the news to keep the sheeple looking away.

Does anyone really think Murdoch had his hand on the news of the world from his luxury yacht?
Does anyone really think the news of the world is the only phone hacker?
Does anyone really think this will make anything but money for Mr Murdoch?

Come on, he's buying his own shares back at a knock down price. Kind of makes me wonder...

All News is Good News in the news business....

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Having seen how Murdoch's empire has relayed the "news" to us over the years I am totally unsurprised by this. Let's hope people are smarter than a cartoon and can see the propaganda for what it is. He is truly a evil person and I do hope that somehow this all brings him down.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Nothing surprises me with Murdoch's papers nowadays, they are all in this up to their armpits. Now we know their apologies over the Millie Dowlar hacking was half hearted The quicker they are kicked out of the UK the better.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The depths some Murdock employees will go to deny News Corp did anything wrong;

Olbermann Mocks O'Reilly's Defense Of News Corp

O'Reilly said that the phone hacking scandal was being over-hyped by "vicious" ideological opponents of the company..., that "there's not one American employee of the News Corporation implicated in any of this."

As Olbermann pointed out, Rupert Murdoch, James Murdoch and Les Hinton--all of whom have been implicated in the scandal--are American citizens. (Moreover, News Corp. itself is an American company.)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
And Somalia is a target audience for Murdoch's Media Empire?

Which leads me to conclude that using such symbolgy is intended to appeal to the disinclination Americans feel towards recognizing these problems as they are not very flattering to the American indulgence.

Manipulative Bastages...

top topics

join