It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin will be visible to the naked eye by the end of August, NASA say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Find something interesting from one guy, hi make screenshot of the NASA website when they had Elenin listed on their website end they deleted that later .. lol

Is obviously they are some-kind of upset for Elenin, no reason to delete is only prediction .. lol

Here no data ..
solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Screenshot here ..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/400c2992f850.png[/atsimg]

"By some prediction recently discovered comet Elenin will be visible to the naked eye by the end of August .."

NASA Sends Warning Video to ALL Employees Today to PREPARE! June 10, 2011

www.nasa.gov...

Elenin/Levy/Honda/2005YU55/Earth/Moon
edit on 21-7-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thank goodness! Finally! I hope they are correct. That way all of the speculation, rumors, theories, etc can be over with one way or the other. Then we can move on to the next doomsday device.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Pretty sure we've already known it would become visible for approximately 40 days (once it reaches perigee) before it crosses paths with Earth and heads away, where it should be visible for another 40 days.

You have to wonder how such a wimpy comet would be visible this early on, though. Must be really bright, since it's not too big, as far as comets go.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well, if it's nothing, it's nothing. If it is something....................well. I don't know what to say to it all.
Elenin and the doomers scare the hell out of me either way,.

edit on 21-7-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Is this a classic case of SPD?

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps this condition is rife at the top levels?

edit on 21-7-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
Pretty sure we've already known it would become visible for approximately 40 days (once it reaches perigee) before it crosses paths with Earth and heads away, where it should be visible for another 40 days.

You have to wonder how such a wimpy comet would be visible this early on, though. Must be really bright, since it's not too big, as far as comets go.

Personally I've never heard or read that it would be visible fore 40 days, before or after perigee. But if true, you make a valid point about it wimpiness or lack of.

Can you post some info about this 40 days visibility?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Great catch. Was supposed to be visible in the East in August just before sunrise. Wonder where it has gone and when and why that became a non-event. Also a bit concerned about Vesta being just at the edge of naked eye visibility.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I favour the next doomsday device will be brought about by a dodgy chicken birianhi bought on a thursday night, by a couple of old folk.
Just throwing my hat in for doomsday predictions.
And just so you know having a dodgy curry is catasptrophic, and the earth rumbles with the mudslides and the gaseous expulsions are lethal.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Looks like information is only changed for this link, after some research ..
Is not on top news on this link any more ..

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

But is here now ..

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Very soon we see comet Elenin ..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
can't wait, im gonna go camping in the mountains to avoid light pollution and get the camera out.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You made exactly the same post in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

After visiting the site, it is obvious that this is a monthly calendar of astronomical events. Comet Elenin is listed in September because that is when it will be most visible. It is not listed in other months because it will probably not be visible then. Why do "Elenin Conspiracists" keep re-posting the same thing over and over? How many times will we see that YouTube video about "emergency preparedness" dragged out as some kind of evidence? I overheard the manager at a nearby supermarket asking his employees at a shift change meeting if they knew where the best place to shelter in the event of a tornado is. Does this mean that Whole Foods management has secret knowledge of an impending tornado?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
You made exactly the same post in this thread:

After visiting the site, it is obvious that this is a monthly calendar of astronomical events. Comet Elenin is listed in September because that is when it will be most visible. It is not listed in other months because it will probably not be visible then. Why do "Elenin Conspiracists" keep re-posting the same thing over and over? How many times will we see that YouTube video about "emergency preparedness" dragged out as some kind of evidence? I overheard the manager at a nearby supermarket asking his employees at a shift change meeting if they knew where the best place to shelter in the event of a tornado is. Does this mean that Whole Foods management has secret knowledge of an impending tornado?

Cool, now you can back to play with your dolls Mr. Comet Elenin will not be a "naked eye" comet. ..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Cool, now you can back to play with your dolls Mr. Comet Elenin will not be a "naked eye" comet. ..

You're even using the same childish insults on both threads!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Up your head, one post above ..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"By some predictions recently discovered comet Elenin will be visible to the naked eye by the end of August."

That's weak. By some predictions it'll rain tomorrow where I live. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, or even that it is likely.

JPL's Small Body Database still says mid-September, and even then you'd really need binoculars to see it well.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Personally I've never heard or read that it would be visible fore 40 days, before or after perigee. But if true, you make a valid point about it wimpiness or lack of.

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I may not have realized it wasn't actually common knowledge and should have posted a more detailed post.

Anyways, the exact word is perihelion, not perigee (was a bit sleepy..), and it's the point in the orbit of a planet/asteroid/comet where it is nearest to the sun.

Because of this, it will be visible once it reaches perihelion.

As mentioned by a few other members in this thread, the JPL Small-Body Database Browser states that it will reach Perihelion on September 13 of this year - which is odd, because when I first started researching this and taking notes, it shown September 11, but it's understandable if new data has altered it, especially since the orbit has changed from jagged to a smooth circle, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways, based off the new calculations, at Perihelion it will be .659 AU away from Earth, and .485 away from the Sun, where it will be visible for 34 days (to the naked eye), until it reaches it's Perigee (closest point to Earth), at .232 AU - where it will continue on for a week or so before becoming invisible to the naked eye.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I may not have realized it wasn't actually common knowledge and should have posted a more detailed post.

Anyways, the exact word is perihelion, not perigee (was a bit sleepy..), and it's the point in the orbit of a planet/asteroid/comet where it is nearest to the sun.

Because of this, it will be visible once it reaches perihelion.

As mentioned by a few other members in this thread, the JPL Small-Body Database Browser states that it will reach Perihelion on September 13 of this year - which is odd, because when I first started researching this and taking notes, it shown September 11, but it's understandable if new data has altered it, especially since the orbit has changed from jagged to a smooth circle, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways, based off the new calculations, at Perihelion it will be .659 AU away from Earth, and .485 away from the Sun, where it will be visible for 34 days (to the naked eye), until it reaches it's Perigee (closest point to Earth), at .232 AU - where it will continue on for a week or so before becoming invisible to the naked eye.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

Ok, you've gotten more specific, but can you please link where you have found that it will be visible to the naked eye after perehelion.. From what I've read, it may be visible for one night, and even then you'd have to be looking really hard. Can't remember where I read that, but that's what I recall.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07
Find something interesting from one guy, hi make screenshot of the NASA website when they had Elenin listed on their website end they deleted that later .. lol

Is obviously they are some-kind of upset for Elenin, no reason to delete is only prediction .. lol

Here no data ..
solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Screenshot here ..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/400c2992f850.png[/atsimg]

"By some prediction recently discovered comet Elenin will be visible to the naked eye by the end of August .."

NASA Sends Warning Video to ALL Employees Today to PREPARE! June 10, 2011

www.nasa.gov...

Elenin/Levy/Honda/2005YU55/Earth/Moon

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Rubbish, the comet wasn´t removed from the event list, it was moved DOWN to a different page by other events. It´s still there.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Elenin will not be visible when it is at perihelion because it will be at perihelion. As such it will be in Earth's sky in the daytime. There are not many comets which are visible in daylight and Elenin is certainly not one of them.

In October, while near perigee, Elenin will rise before the dawn and may be visible, though probably not with the naked eye.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join