It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Peace Talks in Najaf Break Down, Fighting Renewed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
After three days of talks between Najaf militants and the new Iraqi government, no agreement of disarmament could be reached. The city of Najaf is infamous for its resistance to US forces and has been the main focus of strikes by US fighters in recent days. The Iraqi government's negotiator has ended talks in the city and is preparing to leave citing that the talks yielded "no positive conclusion".

news.bbc.co.uk
Three days of talks to disarm militants in the Shia Iraqi holy city of Najaf have broken down, the Iraqi government negotiator has announced.

Mouwaffaq al-Rubaie said he was going to leave the city where fighters loyal to radical cleric Moqtada Sadr have been resisting US-led forces.

But the truce reached on Friday seemed to be still holding as Sadr supporters rallied at the Imam Ali shrine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The situation in Najaf continues to become worse every day. The action taken by US forces only serves to make the citizens of Najaf resist US forces more, causing more attacks by US forces. It is a seemingly endless cycle of violence, reminiscent of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

news.com.au

THE Iraqi government would resume military operations against Shiite militiamen after peace talks broke down in the holy city of Najaf, national security adviser Muwafaq al-Rubaie said today.

"Yes, the military operations will start," Mr al-Rubaie told a news conference, when asked by reporters about the result of the breakdown of the talks.

[edit on 8-14-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-15-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I dont think that Moqtada Sadr and his Millitia ever intended giving up the Shrine, i think they have used the pause in hostilities to gather their strength for a final battle with US forces. Their intention i think is to leave the US with no choice but to assault the Mosque directly there by ensuing that damage is done to the building and the objects inside. They will hope that such an act will whip up even more support for their cause, and i also think that Moqtada Sadr is looking for a Martyrs(SP) death.
Its going to get worse before it gets better thats for sure.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, here comes 'Round 2'.

news.com.au
August 15, 2004

THE Iraqi government would resume military operations against Shiite militiamen after peace talks broke down in the holy city of Najaf, national security adviser Muwafaq al-Rubaie said today.

"Yes, the military operations will start," Mr al-Rubaie told a news conference, when asked by reporters about the result of the breakdown of the talks.

I don't talk there will be any 'talks' or truces now.
Sanc'.

[edit on 8-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is good news - screw the peace - send Sadr to Allah ASAP.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Exactly remove Moqtada Sadr and his influence then i think najaf will be not that much more of a problem.. Ill quote Ho Chi Mihn "the people are like little fish, they flow with the current" im not saying the iraqi people are stupid but they dont need any more bad influences. I hope the iraqi people saw the way their team was accepted into the olympics for becoming a free country. That team can only thank the USA for having the balls to go in and give them their freedom,

[edit on 15-8-2004 by Die Trying]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
I dont think that Moqtada Sadr and his Millitia ever intended giving up the Shrine, i think they have used the pause in hostilities to gather their strength for a final battle with US forces. Their intention i think is to leave the US with no choice but to assault the Mosque directly there by ensuing that damage is done to the building and the objects inside. They will hope that such an act will whip up even more support for their cause, and i also think that Moqtada Sadr is looking for a Martyrs(SP) death.
Its going to get worse before it gets better thats for sure.

I think this is a lucid appraisal.

U.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
i wasnt in najaf but it sounded like the militants were taking a pounding. Moqtada Sadr held the peace talks so he could try to get a peaceful passage out of there and leave his militants behind so they could all fight and die. some leader. The US would'nt of had any of this. The marines are there and they will destroy all the militants.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by Die Trying]

top topics

join