I did not think I would like these to be honest. I am not a fan of fried fish or fish cakes but OMG they were delicious! The dipping sauce was a
Mblah's Spicy Fish Cakes W/ Cilantro Soy Dipping Sauce
6oz Salmon skinned
6oz white fish (I used cod since that was all they had at the store, I prefer Haddock)
1 cup small shrimp peeled and deveined
5 oz of green beans (fresh)
1 1/4 tsp lemongrass puree (I found this in the produce section in a tube)
1 1/4 tsp ginger puree (it was right next to the lemongrass puree
1 1/4 tbs fish sauce
1 rind of a lime finely shredded
1 1/4 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
2 egg whites lightly beaten (use the medium sized eggs) or you can use 1 and 1/2 eggs whites
all purpose flour to dust and to keep them from sticking to your hands (it drove me nuts so here flour is your friend)
oil for deep frying
1.Cut the fish into cubes and chop up the shrimp. Trim green beans and thinly chop
2. Next put the fish, shrimp, lemongrass puree, ginger puree and lemon rind into a food processor and coarsely ground. Dont mush it!
3. In a bowl mix fish sauce, cilantro, green beans, egg whites and fish mixture from food processor.
4. Flour your hands and shape into small balls and then flatten into round cakes about 1/2 inch thick. Chill for an hour. I chilled mine for a few
hours and they were fine.
5. After they have chilled deep fry for about 2-3 mins until golden brown. Make sure you drain them of the excess oil. I just put them on a paper
towel and blotted them with it.
Cilantro Soy Dipping Sauce
1 1/2 tbs of coriander seeds
5 tbs dark soy sauce
1 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
3/4 tsp sugar
fresh cilantro leaves
1. Toast the coriander seeds in a heavy bottomed skillet til golden. Do not add anything just the seeds. Cook on medium heat. Make sure you stir them
around so you dont burn them.
2. Now mix the seeds with the soy sauce, white wine vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves. Serve in a mini dipping bowl and sprinkle
a few fresh cilantro leaves into the sauce.
These were delicious! You can once again alter the fish according to your preference. If you dont like salmon add another or add more shrimp! Have fun
edit on 7/19/2011 by mblahnikluver because: titled my recipe wrong! forgot Mblah hehe
edit on 7/19/2011 by
mblahnikluver because: wow spell fail
Goes with Mblah's Spicy Chicken Pad Thai
edit on 7/19/2011 by mblahnikluver
because: add the other recipe