It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan says crippled nuclear reactors are now stable

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Japan says crippled nuclear reactors are now stable

m.ctv.ca

TOKYO — Japan says the crippled reactors at its tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant have reached stability more than four months ago after the disaster.

Trade and industry minister Banri Kaieda also says the plant operators are making steady progress to bring the reactors to a cold shutdown within six months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Is it just me or is it difficult to believe anything that we are told by TEPCO or the Japanese officials in charge? Don't get me wrong, I wish to hear some good news out of Japan as much as the next person, but we have been lied to so much since March. The article I linked to also explains the reasons hey have decided to make this announcement. I would like some of the members of ATS to input their opinion on whether or not this is believable. Regrettably I am not an expert on radioactivity and it's long and short terms on the environment. Please forgive me for linking to the mobile site but I am on my mobile. If you would like to view the full page you can switch from the bottom of the page.

m.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-7-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Would love to hear how they have stabilised reactors that have melted through into the bedrock of the landmass, they must have had either superman or Harry Potter over working in secret
You can`t stabilise the reactor, it is no longer a reactor, it is a concrete pot with a hole in the bottom with radiation spewing into the air and into the ground.
edit on 19/7/11 by On the level because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I don't believe it, besides those poor people in Fukushima are already too far gone

It's too late for them, they should've at least evacuated the people instead of keeping them there.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Japan says the crippled reactors at its tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant have reached stability more than four months ago after the disaster.
I find that impossibly hard to believe. Here we go people, now everything will be A-OK according to the latest wave of propaganda. No need to worry about all the SOS videos coming from Japan.

PROOF OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
edit on 19-7-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
My thoughts exactly... This is pure BS. Some people will buy into it though. My peer right next to me laughed at me for questioning the validity of the article. I hate the fact that a large portion of society will believe what ever they hear from the mainstream media. I should show up to class tomorrow with a tin foil hat on LOL.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's all a matter of perspective friends.

No massive explosions happened, and the corium melted to where ever it went.

The public at large isn't overly concerned, so the situation is now "stable".

For Now.....

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
www.dwd.de...

Maybe this graph is for wood smoke ..

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Situation normal, all #'d up. I guess that would be a form of stable.

I suppose the alternate translation would be: "We think things won't get any worse, so we're going to call it stable."

That weird buzzing sound you hear in the wind is Murphy winding up to hit them with his 'law' bat.

My thoughts are with the people of Japan,

M

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

This is good news. S&F and thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It certainly is great news. I just wish I could believe it. I get kind of angry when I look back at the whole situation and realize how many times they lied about it. I hope this isn't an attempt to downplay the situation and sweep it under the rug. If this story is actually true, then it is good for Japan and the rest of the world.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Stable huh?

Just in time for Typhoon Maon, is'nt that due like right now? MSM never ceases to amaze me, "nobody cares anymore, that was like..4 months ago, situation normal."

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It certainly is great news. I just wish I could believe it. I get kind of angry when I look back at the whole situation and realize how many times they lied about it. I hope this isn't an attempt to downplay the situation and sweep it under the rug. If this story is actually true, then it is good for Japan and the rest of the world.

It cannot be true at all, that would be technically impossible.

All of the facts add up, this disaster will go on and on for hundreds of years as the negative effects will take a very long time to manifest.

There are tons of radioisotopes floating around all over the place getting all over everything and many of them will take centuries to dissipate. And we really don't have any effective way to clean up something this widespread.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I feel safe to say the story is 100% bogus.

I say this with the utmost confidence and assurances, there are no reactors left. They melted and now what we have are piles of corium (nuclear lava).

If the reactors still existed in any tangible way, we wouldn't have this "melt-down" situation to begin with, now would we?

Common sense triumphs, however the truth isn't pretty.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Our key problem here is that we are not told precisely how they define 'stable.'

They could mean that the material of concern is no longer even inside the facility.... hence the reactors are stable....

Disingenuous? Well, corporate liability and insurance might dictate otherwise.

We are all aware, by now, that TEPCO, like any other major energy cartel member, is inextricably intertwined with governance; therefore it is impossible to be certain that any public announcements are only for their benefit.

Just as with the American BP Gulf spill, the most important matter to the government seemed to be the mitigation or eradication of corporate liability.

I suspect those living in Japan may have a differing viewpoint about the announcement. But then, if they rely on mass-media as much as we do, there's no telling what they could be led to believe.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Centurionx
Stable huh?

Just in time for Typhoon Maon, is'nt that due like right now? MSM never ceases to amaze me, "nobody cares anymore, that was like..4 months ago, situation normal."

I know, it'll wash everything away. Japan is fine, just fine! Ain't a damn thing wrong there! The world is perfect! Now please watch Dancing with the stars, some nobody is dancing! And eat your daily GMOs everything is a-ok!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I thank you for the replies. I trust your opinion due to some of your other threads about several recent nuclear incidents including Fukushima. I wonder if any reputable sources are going to step up in the media and call BS. I would like to think that the general public would be sick of being lied to on a daily basis about such an important topic. The media must think we are completely clueless.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I hope they are not lying for GOD sakes. How are any of the population supposed to conduct themselves in a positive manner when those incharge of taking care of the populace lie all the time. I just hope its not a lie.

Be well
edit on 7/19/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here is Kaku explaining why calling it "Stable" is pretty meaningless in the context of the situation.

This interview is dated June 21st.

Please listen closely.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am going to copy-paste a post I made in another thread since I think it should help people get a better grasp on why this is still a bad situation. Plus I will add a few additional links for further information.

Thread I wrote explaining how Ionizing Radiation damages organic tissue.

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by geraldcole
Is there any chance that this could be a great thing? Nature's way of helping clean up the mess we've made there with fukushima.

Well you can't exactly "clean" it up with our primitive technology.

We are talking about quadrillions of nano-sized unstable heavy elements distributed over millions of square miles/km by this point, the wind has kicked it around so much.

Many of these particles have excessively long half-life periods so they will exist for a very long time. On TV they always talk about Iodine 131 and in my opinion that's a major distraction because it's half-life is only 8 days.

Iodine-131 (the most common radioiodine contaminant in fallout) also decays relatively rapidly with a half-life of eight days, so that 99.95% of the original radioiodine has vanished after three months.

Iodine Isotopes Wiki

Caesium 137 appears to be much more dangerous and it is also discussed in the media sometimes.

It has a half-life of about 30.17 years, and decays by beta emission to a metastable nuclear isomer of barium-137: barium-137m (137mBa, Ba-137m). (About 95 percent of the nuclear decay leads to this isomer. The other 5.0 percent directly populates the ground state, which is stable.) Ba-137m has a half-life of about 153 seconds, and it is responsible for all of the emissions of gamma rays. One gram of caesium-137 has an activity of 3.215 terabecquerel (TBq).

However we are dealing with far more than this. There are virtually dozens of isotopes of various fission/decay products all over the place now.

Isotopes of Plutonium

Plutonium 238
H-L 87yrs
Plutonium 239
H-L 24,200 yrs.
Pu-240
H-L 6500 yrs.

Isotopes of Neptunium

Isotopes of Uranium
234, 235, 238

Strontium 90

Strontium-90 (90Sr) is a radioactive isotope of strontium, with a half-life of 28.8 years.

Americium 241

Americium-241 is the most prevalent isotope of americium in nuclear waste.

Half-life 432 years.

Isotopes of Curium

I have seen articles claiming the IAEA tested and found almost all of these radioisotopes.

Some of these can last for thousands of years. Our civilization isn't even that old...

All of this can be confirmed through the IAEA official website, IAEA.org, and this link takes you to the Japan disaster information sheet page. When I have more time I can go through and find each link supporting this, but for the time being anyone could use the search function and probably find whatever they are looking for.

I will dispute one thing Kaku says though, he claims it will take 50-100 years to clean this up. He is expecting humans and our governments and corporations to be reasonable and logical, but we are not logical or reasonable. So in reality this could take 250-500 years clean up or indefinite until the radioisotopes decay. (Some isotopes take tens of thousands of years to decay).

How do we clean all of the pollution out of the ocean? Filter every gallon of it? Not possible. We have to live with it until it's gone naturally, which sucks because that will be the year 25,000 AD.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join