It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does being super rich change you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've always been curious about why the rich act differently from us. I'm not saying all of them are greedy or not hard working though. I'm sure some are. My question is: Do you think being super rich changes your basic ideals and personality? And if you suddenly became a multi-millionaire do you think you would change? Of course you might change your way of life, but does money have the power to change what a person believes when they were poorer?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Depends on the person I guess. Been around a few had some success myself at times. It is hit or miss as with any other social frame of people.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It would only change you if you let it. Of course I can easily say this because I am middle class and basically live pay check to pay check.. If you are surrounded by the right people, you would be okay I think. Meaning those that are there to knock you down a few pegs when you need it. Just my quick thoughts...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
"Jerry Lewis' remarkable success may be attributable in part to an anti-Semitic remark made by his high school principal. So offended was Lewis that he punched the perpetrator, was promptly expelled from school - and headed immediately for the vaudeville circuit.

[Trivia: Rather than having them cleaned, Jerry often gave away suits. He also rarely wore a pair of socks more than once.]" WebTrivia

the part about the socks I mean. I can't even fathom that kind of insouciant wealth.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by deevee]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
II agree it would depend on each person. Having that amount of influence and wealth would be very hard for me to handle. Despite what people say it will change you at some level. Do people like you for you or do they like you bank account?

Some people just don't care how they behave. Look the Kerry's wife. Her F You Im rich speech is one manifestation of this.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I can't speak from personal experience, but it is my opinion that a sudden windfall of wealth or riches only accentuates the person you already are and, I believe, that the same thing can be said for a sudden loss of wealth or riches.

[edit on 04/8/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I worked as a mechanic and was so fedup w/ "there is the door" comments instead of good leadership. I turned a hobby into a $500,000 a year business.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
As GradyPhilpott said, (and I've heard this elsewhere) - money is just a magnifier. What you already are - flaws, character traits, etc- simply gets multiplied with each million dollars. (where's the shrug smiley?)

There are simply fantastic people who are billionaires and I've heard of one who gives away $1 million A DAY to charity. There are also complete buttheads. Then again, I know a lot of people worth nothing who are complete...... well I can't think of a bad enough words for them
and there's some who are absolute saints. What you are, you are. Being rich may make you less reliant on other people and therefor bcome more arrogent and less respectful. But alcohol can do that too....

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The stress associated with success can turn one into a butthead. Loosing focus on what is important can be easy

new topics

top topics

join