It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AFP - General Petraeus to step down in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
General Petraeus to step down in Afghanistan

Could this be more related to the assassination of Karzai's brother or the tension with Pakistan?

Was this being talked about previously?

Why release this news late Sunday night?

May just be a promotion and nothing more.

By Claire Truscott (AFP) – 1 hour ago

KABUL — General David Petraeus was to step down from his post as the top US commander in Afghanistan on Monday, after a week in which two of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's closest allies were assassinated.

Petraeus, who served as commander of the US-led international force for one year, has claimed some progress against the Taliban with NATO-led troops stabilising parts of the south as Afghan security forces prepare to take over.

The general is leaving to take charge of the CIA and a change of command ceremony is scheduled for Monday morning to hand control of the mission to Lieutenant Colonel David Rodriguez.

General Petraeus to step down in Afghanistan

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
So he's gonna run the CIA? I must of missed Leon Panetta leaving that position I guess.

I think he's leaving because that war is turning into a neverending conflict and he doesn't want to be associated with it myself.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
So he's gonna run the CIA? I must of missed Leon Panetta leaving that position I guess.

I think he's leaving because that war is turning into a neverending conflict and he doesn't want to be associated with it myself.

It wouldn't take a wise man a decade to realize that. Theres a deal behind it.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Not related at all, the announcement was prior to the assassination.

Unless of course you have more than just conjecture to go on....?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think he has been doing this for ten years and has decided it is time to step down. Simple as that.

top topics

join