It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana and religion!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hello,

I read an article in BBC News that says Jesus used canabis to heal the ill people:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Is there any other Biblical use of canabis or marijuana?
what do you guys think of this?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Cannabis is one of the oldest and widely used medicines that has ever existed. The fact that a healer would have used it 2000 years ago doesn't surprise me at all.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
the use of cannabis has been used thru out religons worldwide for a very long time. the chinese used it, the hindus, the american indians, so it wouldnt suprise me that jesus may have. it wasnt untill the 1930s that it became illegal. untill then people saw it for what it was..

thank you dupount family. have you made enough money yet? can i have my freedom back yet? or should i just start drinking?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
In addition to drinking a lot of alcohol, they would also like you to get on some kind of perscription chemical medication, like prozac as soon as possible....

Sure, why wouldn't Jesus (assuming he did exist and healed people) use a part of nature (ie: God's creation if you are religious) in a positive way to help someone?

That is the difference between Cannabis and all other drugs, including alcohol. Almost all other mind altering substances have to be processed chemically in some fashion. Cannabis doesn't. Dry it out (which is a natural and inevitable process), burn it or eat it, and you're good to go. Certainly not beyond the technology available during the time period when Jesus is said to have existed.

Cannabis, mushrooms, peyote, etc... have been used by some religions primarily because they alter perceptions and opens pathways in the mind not normally accessable without considerable effort. To those of religions that seek rather than think they know, this is a valuable tool for self-knowledge. The medicinal properties of Cannabis are well known and just another added benefit of this multifunctional, practical, and useful plant.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Great news article. Cannabis is a great plant, I call it Nature's Goodness.

THC is amazing because it is so similar to Anandamide that our receptors drink it as if it were Anandamide. In fact, the receptors were discovered before Anandamide itself - that's why they are known as THC Receptors, and not Anandamide Receptors.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I like how the Guardian's article:

education.guardian.co.uk...

is found in Higher Education.

AF1

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Marijuana is my religion.
I try to appease the Pot gods at least once a day.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I mentioned this theory to my uncle, who is a minister almost 2 years ago. He thought I was a nut hehe. Anyway, I've read about this a lot. I had this article bookmarked. It goes a little more in depth about it than the news article.

www.cannabisculture.com...

"From the time of Moses until that of the later prophet Samuel, the holy anointing oil was used by the shamanic Levite priesthood to receive the "revelations of the Lord". At the dawn of the age of Kings, Samuel extended the use of the anointing oil to the Hebraic monarchs by anointing Saul (and later David) as "Messiah-king". These kings lead their people with the benefit of insights achieved through using the holy anointing oil to become "possessed with the spirit of the Lord."

"In the events after Jesus' vision and his overwhelmed recluse into the desert, there are clear parallels with the story of the prophet Samuel's initiation of Saul with the cannabis-rich holy ointment, and Saul's ensuing madness in the form of possession by the Spirit, and wandering off to make nabi (act in a frenzied ecstatic manner) (1 Samuel 10).

The tale of Saul's possession by the spirit is an example of how the ancients interpreted the effects of cannabis and other entheogens. What we perceive as being "high" or "stoned" the ancients called "possessed by the Spirit of the Lord."

So apparently they used to do this. I wonder if it fell out of custom, and maybe Jesus revived it, and that was one of the reasons he was hated?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was reading a page about BibleCodes and it basically said that the only other 'good' religion was Rustafarianism. The religion of the garden. We all know how much Rastas enjoy their hooch.

[edit on 15/8/04 by SINthetyc]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Rastafarians use marijuana as a sacrament. They have some truly odd beliefs though, such as that a dead Ethiopian emperor, Haile Selassie, is God incarnate. I think I saw a thread here on Ats about Rastafarism, try doing a search

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
*ahem*

Just a reminder to all on this thread about ATS Terms & Conditions
www.abovetopsecret.com...

16.) Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia ... etc. are strictly forbidden.

If anyone engages in illegal activities in their personal lives, ATS is not this place to discuss it.

Savvy?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Seems to be a thin line here.

First, it's discussion of a news article.

Second, it's a historical exploration of a major cult figurehead.

And third, what about talking about an illegal activity you believe should not be illegal? Is advocating a change of law forbidden? Just curious.

Nota Bene kids - Drugs are bad, m'kay.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'll second you on that one matey. Freedom of speech anyone?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
*ahem*

Just a reminder to all on this thread about ATS Terms & Conditions
www.abovetopsecret.com...

16.) Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia ... etc. are strictly forbidden.

If anyone engages in illegal activities in their personal lives, ATS is not this place to discuss it.

Savvy?

What if i'm posting from Holland?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Does anyone know what a corriander seed looks like? The old testament talks of using the plant whose seed looks most like corriander, look it up.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
All I know is my friend was given 3 months to go in December of 2003 for her 3rd bout of cancer.
She used pot to relieve her sickness and to keep her hungry and from going crazy thinking about what is going on with her body!

It is August, and she is still alive and gaining wieight!
Too bad she has to illegally save her own life!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
My mother was given THC pills when dying of cancer...it's also a good idea to understand there is a difference between using something like this as a medicine, or as a religious medium, and someone sitting around getting a buzz..big difference!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
My mother was given THC pills when dying of cancer...it's also a good idea to understand there is a difference between using something like this as a medicine, or as a religious medium, and someone sitting around getting a buzz..big difference!

I understand the medicine statement, but "religious medium" versus "just getting a buzz". So if you are of a religious persuasion its ok to get stoned, but if you don't have a religious connection, there is a big difference, what exactly is that big difference??

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Originally posted by LadyV

I understand the medicine statement, but "religious medium" versus "just getting a buzz". So if you are of a religious persuasion its ok to get stoned, but if you don't have a religious connection, there is a big difference, what exactly is that big difference??

Of course there is!! When done in terms of a ceremony it is one with a different mind set..of course, if you don't understand this concept...you won't see the difference! I don't smoke either way...but I do understand the differences from my heritage....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join