It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the soul, and why is it linear? and is time quantum time travel possible?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I am starting to view the world more deterministic than chaotic..sort of like we are just playing out a movie already recorded on something...every heartbeat, every thought, is all just some orderly natural force that is about as suprising, from a cosmic sense, as a movie you watched 400 times before...nothing will ever change, nothing is new or dynamic, it simply is a sort of hardened form.

Interesting. I think we're free to view the world which ever way we want, but it seems both are happening. There's a bit of chaos, but an underlying order, it seems. I think we have free will to an extent, and can exert chaos and change things on smaller scales, but are also bound by natural forces which supersede our free will in the long run...such as death. I don't think everything is predetermined.

With that, thats where I come up with the concept of linear sense of self...aka, soul...the needle on the record playing the specific point in time..

And...if that is how the universe works...how would one kick around that needle to different times.

I know the question is confusing, and its based off of a hypothesis of a static cosmos

I'm not sure that I follow your train of thought here. In my view, the soul is nothing more than the expression and/or feeling of innate qualities of who we are, and may become. It seems to be but the result of organic processes, guided by our DNA, and environmental circumstances.

I once bought into the sensationalist view of quantum mechanics as displayed in the cultural flick, "What the Bleep do we Know". I came to understand that these views of the world based on quantum mechanics are from a minority of eccentrics in the professional realm, and that if they aren't directly in the QM field, they're usually just conning people for some sort of gain. I don't think the quantum world should be used to describe the nature of our reality we experience. They are different levels of existence, and don't seem to be applicable from one level to the next.
edit on 16-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Thanks for the reply

ok, first...I never could understand when people say its both deterministic and chaotic...it simply can't be both..either everything is chaos, no order whatsoever, or it is 100% chaos.

Frodo doesn't occasionally toss the ring in the fire, and occasionally not.

If there is even a tiny bit of chaos in a watch, the whole thing breaks down...and the universe is ultimately a physical thing..meaning that everything is a product of a reaction with no unknowns on the grand scale..

To me, that means the clock universe is deterministic..there is simply no room for even the most minor of chaos..not that it necessarily has a point to it, but the order itself, in a physical environment, doesn't really allow for chaos..not on a grand scale...from person to person, it may appear complex and chaotic, but thats just a point of view...(the 6 ball not sure why its shooting off to the corner pocket has no perspective of the grand game).

So, thats where the question lies in...of everything is just a order, then what gives us the perception of this exact second...aka, the needle on the record...and if its possible to figure out that "source", the next step would be to control that perception

What the bleep do we know will only corrupt a person's knowledge of quantum mechanics...for a decent basic understanding, I prefer Brian Greens stuff (the hidden reality, the elegant universe).

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think you're getting mixed up somewhere between your ideals, and what really is.

There's something off to me about the notion that everything is entirely ordered.

It's as if you think you can perceive the "mind of god".

Do you believe in free will?

If not, how did life come to be?

Better yet, do you believe in an intelligent designer, "God", or do you somehow believe that everything has order, and that's that?!

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I think you're getting mixed up somewhere between your ideals, and what really is.

There's something off to me about the notion that everything is entirely ordered.

It's as if you think you can perceive the "mind of god".

Do you believe in free will?

If not, how did life come to be?

Better yet, do you believe in an intelligent designer, "God", or do you somehow believe that everything has order, and that's that?!

I tend to see the universe as a matter universe
matter follows laws of physics (quantum and otherwise)

and in such a model, there is only reactions..aka, order.

As far as intelligence in the order? that is a question far to big for me to answer. perhaps I am just dreaming all of this..perhaps it is a computer simulation, perhaps it is nothing more than particle accident..aka, I don't know. But, I do know that there is stuff here..and stuff reacts orderly...which means there is no free will, there is only a perception of free will because we cannot see the big picture
We are a pool ball thinking we chose to race towards the corner pocket our of our free will, not realizing it is just a reaction from what happened before...our limited minds cannot see the entire pattern.

It doesn't sound or feel right because it is beyond our scope of perception..like a person never seeing light before living in a cave being told about daytime..no point of reference, therefore the thought is alien to our fundamental understandings.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I actually do get you, but was curious to see your exact perspective on this.

Excuse me for not being straight forward.

If you have been around long enough to have seen my original sigs, and recall them, you would know..

Peace, bro.

Btw, I took your advice from a while back and am with an amazing woman

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join