It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

excessive comparmentalisation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
maybees its just my perception of events - but i haves noticed a ` rash ` of requests for new sub fora dedicated to a topic that the OP feels should be granted greater importance

my concern is - if such requests are granted - where will it end ?

yes - we do need sub fora - but like any division , excessive compartmentalisation can quickly occur

to avoid offending anyone i will not discuss posted threads

the entire point of sub formus - is to make it easier to find topics of an ilk

but if you subdivide too far - you create a new obstacle - a " wall " of sub fora

a recenttly created child board " japan " made sense - as it adresses a complex and intertwinned mix of natural disaster , politics , technological breakdown , global ramifications etc etc

many other proposed sub divisions - make less sense [ to me at least ] - as there are already extablished sub fora to discuss any topic that may arise

so - do we really need more divisions ?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I wouldn't worry... yet.

Any of the recent requests for new sub forums haven't been created as far as I know, definitely not the one's I've seen people requesting during the last week (there have been at least 2)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
We should probably have a separate forum for new forum requests.

Cheekiness aside, some people like more generality in a forum, some like more granularity. Topics get buried if a forum is too big, and languish if a forum is too small. And just to keep things lively, interest fluctuates over time. Today's hot forum can be tomorrow's ghost town.

From what I've seen, the admins are pretty good at deciding when a new forum is needed, and while there are plenty of new forum requests from the members and they can't all be satisfied, there are good ones that do go on to be implemented.

It's an inexact art, and feedback is always welcome, but it all seems to work out in the end.

More or less.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
We should probably have a separate forum for new forum requests.

i dare you

PS - then we would need on to request closure of redundant forums too

new topics

top topics

join