It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are these Torii Gates still standing after Atom Bomb, Earthquake and Tsunami Disasters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Like many other people on a daily basis I get many forwards sent to me by email. Most of the daily forwards are mostly quite mundane and pointless and are just deleted within seconds, but I was totally mesmerised by the two photographs that were sent to me today.

The two photographs are both of Japan and the devastation that has occurred on two entirely different times in history. The first photo is one of the most iconic photographs of Hiroshima taken after the Atomic Bomb in 1945, and the other photo is of the natural devastation after the earthquake and tsunami earlier this year.

The heading for this forwarded email was, 'What the hell are these two Torii Gates made of ?'

Now after looking at the two photographs and the devastation that happened, the question is, 'Yeah, what the hell are those Torii Gates made of?'

imageshack.us...
edit on 12-7-2011 by davethebear because: photo error

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Maybe it's not so much what they're made of, but HOW they're constructed.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

My guess in the case of the one standing after the Earthquake is that there is something about its structure that makes the kind of motion found in Earthquakes not damaging to it. There are some pretty clear intact buildings in the background of the shot.

With Hiroshima, I don't have much of a guess. There are trees still standing in the background; maybe they all just escaped the wave of destruction.

And I hate to advance multiple explanations at once, but are you sure these pictures are genuine? It may just be because of the strangeness of the gates standing in desolation, but my mind instantly wonders if they're fake.

I hate to advance yet a third explanation, but... perhaps that the gates were erected afterwards, perhaps to act as a symbol to say "Yeah, Japan's still here."

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

My guess in the case of the one standing after the Earthquake is that there is something about its structure that makes the kind of motion found in Earthquakes not damaging to it. There are some pretty clear intact buildings in the background of the shot.

With Hiroshima, I don't have much of a guess. There are trees still standing in the background; maybe they all just escaped the wave of destruction.

And I hate to advance multiple explanations at once, but are you sure these pictures are genuine? It may just be because of the strangeness of the gates standing in desolation, but my mind instantly wonders if they're fake.

I hate to advance yet a third explanation, but... perhaps that the gates were erected afterwards, perhaps to act as a symbol to say "Yeah, Japan's still here."

I cannot say whether the photographs are faked or not, but I don't think that they are. I did a little searching and found the two photo's plus a number of others as well on the website for the newspaper, The Daily Mail, in the UK. But saying that and regarding the way things have been going around the closing down of News of the World lately and the hacking debacle, who knows..........I have left the link below......cheers

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Peace Brother, and to All:

Remember they are gates to "Sacred Places" which can not be destroyed, as you/others search for answers.

Sacred is...Sacred!

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The same thing happened during the big Tsunami in Asia - A Buddhist Temple was left un-touched while everything around it was decimated - The only explanation was the Tsunami parted on each side of the Temple.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ChungTsuU

Then how do you explain all these Sacred Urns I keep Toppling?

Seriously, sacred places are not sacred to the laws of physics and. They collapse and junk all the time.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thomas007

Links please

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Obviously not made of the same material as the twin towers. lol Ya I have seen this before not sure on the authenticity but would be nothing short of a miracle to withstand an a-bomb blast imo.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Here is a link to some other photo's from the same newspaper.......

cheers

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Stone.

One piece of uncracked stone chosen several hundred/thousand years ago and carved by guys who REALLY knew what they were doing.

Ancient artisans ROCK!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Torii Gates will always mark that which is sacred. One should see how they line up with the Ley Lines...
then again...maybe the gates are the true "star gates" (a bit of humour)...

I'll stick with what I said first...they do mark the sacred and blessed entrances to the Shinto shrines. The Buddhist temples also include at least one or more Shinto shrines...There is more to this world than many will allow themselves to believe...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Stone.

One piece of uncracked stone chosen several hundred/thousand years ago and carved by guys who REALLY knew what they were doing.

Ancient artisans ROCK!!
Since you didn't provide any source and I don't have one, I can't confirm that, but they look like stone, and stone can be pretty hard to destroy depending on the type of stone.

There isn't much cross-section to those so it's really not that amazing that they stood while other structures collapsed. To survive an atomic bomb, they had to withstand high wind and heat.

Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

The explosion generated heat estimated at 3,900 degrees Celsius (4,200 K, 7,000 °F) and winds that were estimated at 1005 km/h (624 mph).

What's more amazing is this story:

Akiko Takakura was among the closest survivors to the hypocenter of the blast. She had been in the solidly built Bank of Hiroshima only 300 meters (980 ft) from ground-zero at the time of the attack.

That a stone survived the attack isn't all that amazing. That someone in a bank 300 meters from ground zero survived is amazing. We should be asking what the bank was made of. It's a lot harder for a structure with walls to survive the blast than a stone with limited cross-section like the stone gates.

new topics

top topics

join