It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Drinks: The New Gateway Drug? Not My Red Bull!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What the hell is going on in society? Energy drinks are now the gateways to Meth or Heroin?

While researching this, I found myself absolutely stunned! Not once have I found myself drinking a Red Bull and then thinking "I need a Heroin Fix to wash that down!"

What has it come to when the Govt. decides things like this for us? I get the same rush from a cold glass of orange juice so might as well put that on the list.

I immediately thought this was a one-off nut case but a study in John Hopkins apparently has 97 signatures supporting this crap.

www.energyfiend.com...

According to the LA Times, Roland Griffiths from John Hopkins University, has recently published a paper outlining the dangers of energy drink consumption. He also had 97 addiction experts sign the paper and then he sent it to the US Food and Drug Administration calling for federal regulation of energy drinks.

Easy to see why this butt-wipe decided it wasn't good for anyone. If he doesn't like the taste, it's no good for anyone. What would have happened if he actually liked it? He calls it a form of liquid legal Meth. Guaranteed he is not even close to associating with Meth users.

I tru lythought that my research wouldn't bring much else to the top but I was wrong.

Are energy drinks a new gateway drug? New study links energy drink consumption to substance abuse
lifestyle.ca.msn.com...

One day I was finishing a run along the Bow River when two very attractive women in a Red Bull car pulled up and asked me if I'd like to try some of the energy drink. I'd never had it before, and I'll shamefully admit that because it was being pushed on me by young models, I relented and said, "Yes."

Well that explains it. He was forced to drink it by attractive Red Bull Pushers!

I gagged at the taste the one time I tried an energy drink, but now I've developed a serious dislike for the concept behind these things. Being a guy who gets the coffee going first thing in the morning I guess this is a bit hypocritical, but energy drinks just give me a really bad vibe. I equate them to a form of legal liquid meth, and I hate how they are readily available to kids.

Once kids get used to the idea of altering their consciousness, who knows what they'll experiment with next. It's time to ban the sale of this liquid garbage to anyone under 18.

University of Buffalo states that energy drinks are associated with binge drinking and pills among musicians...What?? I can't even begin to say how ridiculous this sounds as I am a musician. Not once have I drank a Red Bull and thought "Damn! That would go good with a fifth of vodka and some Oxycontin."

Musicians who used energy drinks reported significantly more misuse of legal substances than those who did not use energy drinks. For example, 31 percent of energy drink users misused prescription drugs (compared to 13 percent of nonusers) and 76 percent reported binge drinking (compared to 59 percent of nonusers).

I am absolutely stunned at the stupidity coming out of higher institutions of learning.
www.stonehearthnewsletters.com...
Energy drinks linked to substance abuse in University of Buffalo study

Frequent use of energy drinks is associated with binge drinking, alcohol-related social problems and misuse of prescription drugs among musicians, according to researchers at the University at Buffalo’s Research Institute on Addictions.

Are we as a society, so weak, stupid and feeble to not be in control of our common senses anymore? Can we not decide whether to go from Red Bull to Crack without the Government?

Paper: Conrad L. Woolsey, Oklahoma State University, Tulsa, OK and Weston S. Kensinger, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
aahperd.confex.com...

Marijuana has been termed as a “gateway drug” because it has been linked to the increased use of alcohol and drugs. Results of our research studies on college students (N=401, N=362) suggest energy drinks could be the next gateway drug. Our research indicates energy drink users consumed more than double the amount of alcohol and had far riskier drinking habits than those who drank alcohol only. Additionally, results of quantitative measures indicated energy drink users were significantly more likely to participate in risky behaviors such as drinking and driving and the use of amphetamines.

What do you think? Do you think energy drinks should be considered a gateway drug and restricted by the government?

edit on 12-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
First let me just say that I love this thread. This is a discussion that needs to take place.

Energy drinks are not a drug and should not be considered as such....period. Anyone dumb enough to believe that deserves the verbal smack-down that they will undoubtedly receive.

I'll step back for a minute and let some others weight in...but I'll be back.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a "gateway drug". These people are idiots. Saying the consumption of Red Bull leads somebody to using meth is like saying an adult having consensual sex with another adult leads to rape. People who abuse drugs are more likely to consume energy drinks but the correlation does not work both ways. This is retarded. I don't care to hear what these "scientists" have to say on this matter. The rest of the medical community is probably laughing at them.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I heard that water is the gate way drug to everything...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
I heard that water is the gate way drug to everything...

And popcorn will only lead to that nasty peanut!

This is so incredibly ridiculous that I can't even comprehend the idiots behind this.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Me and my wife drink alot of energy drinks and have for a few years now i know its not good by any means but i try to go after the more vitamin less caffeine like Xyience but it has never given us the urge to go do meth or heroin they probably see they are very popular and want to ad some kind of tax so they can make a dollar and create another community rip off program .

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys but I had developed a nasty red bull habit. I wasn't addicted but I had one every day in the morning on my way to work. It definitely didn't lead me to try meth or coc aine but me and my friends called red bull "legal coc aine" and that says something about the drink.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The truth is that caffiene IS a drug. The REAL debate should be about how it is against basic human freedom to regulate substances aside from under-age purchases. I don't touch energy drinks, they have caused a number of people to drop dead, but I think its your right to decide.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
The truth is that caffiene IS a drug. The REAL debate should be about how it is against basic human freedom to regulate substances aside from under-age purchases. I don't touch energy drinks, they have caused a number of people to drop dead, but I think its your right to decide.

Absolutely, caffeine is a drug so espresso should be outlawed but that would make those Columbia coffee cartels angry. Nicotine is even nastier but that's all ok because it would make the Washington Cartel angry.

It is our right to decide. 1 Red Bull or 10? Gotta think for your self.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustBreathe11
I don't know about you guys but I had developed a nasty red bull habit. I wasn't addicted but I had one every day in the morning on my way to work. It definitely didn't lead me to try meth or coc aine but me and my friends called red bull "legal coc aine" and that says something about the drink.

I had a habit of one for breakfast, lunch, afternoon and after work. Little jittery at times but never stuck anything in my arm because of it.

And then one day, I quit! Just like that. Couldn't do that with Heroin.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Energy drinks aren't good for you, that said, what right does the government have to decide what I put in my body.
If I choose to drink them that's my right.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Frequent use of energy drinks is associated with binge drinking, alcohol-related social problems and misuse of prescription drugs among musicians, according to researchers at the University at Buffalo’s Research Institute on Addictions.

Only musicians?

So instead of dropping the age-old Devil's Music propaganda they thought they would drag it along for a ride with the new Devil's Drink trend?

Nice

PTX

link   
I drink my tequila neat, with a tequila chaser.

I like my coffee-flavored coffee black and strong from a french-press.

I like my cigarettes fresh and nice from a cigar humidor.

I like a traditional gin martini with lunch.

I drink Monster Rehab in the afternoon with a cigarette and contemplate the evening's tequila selection.

Must be a gateway to somewhere... but never considered anything stronger than another tequila, and certainly not meth. [[[shudder]]]
edit on 12-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Absolutely, caffeine is a drug so espresso should be outlawed but that would make those Columbia coffee cartels angry. Nicotine is even nastier but that's all ok because it would make the Washington Cartel angry.

It is our right to decide. 1 Red Bull or 10? Gotta think for your self.

Exactly. I am of the opinion that no drugs should be illegal and neither should a prescription be necessary to purchase medications. That creates a black market and, in the case of pharmaceuticals, a professional racket.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't know why this is news exactly? The high school I went to banned energy drinks because they said they encouraged "reckless and potentially life-threatening behavior".

They try to say that the buzz will encourage some to go out on a limb and try other substances. I personally think its a loud of bull.

Its like how they described Marijuana. A "gateway" towards harder drugs like coc aine and heroine. I personally smoked in high school but never have I considered using anything harder. Not even for a second.

I guess the Governmental guns have now turned on energy drinks because they realize it is easier to control legitimate businesses than cartels and drug dealers.

What a joke.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I drink my tequila neat, with a tequila chaser.

I like my coffee-flavored coffee black and strong from a french-press.

I like my cigarettes fresh and nice from a cigar humidor.

I like a traditional gin martini with lunch.

I drink Monster Revive in the afternoon with a cigarette and contemplate the evening's tequila selection.

Must be a gateway to somewhere... but never considered anything stronger than another tequila, and certainly not meth. [[[shudder]]]

Sounds like you don't need a gateway as you have a full circle going with no opening for more. lol

Your daily routine sounds so much like mine. Can't even think of mixing my tequila with something poisonous like coke or pepsi....so wrong on so many levels.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have been drinking one Monster Energy Drink a day for the last two years and so far i haven't done any hard drugs like heroin or meth (nor do i have the desire to do so)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There is NO such thing as a gateway drug.
This kind of (insert expletive here) makes me so angry.

gateway drug n. A habit-forming substance whose use may lead to the abuse of drugs that are more addictive or more dangerous

This could mean anything andeverything that the government, health officials and whomever wants to abuse this theory to twist to their crusade/fad at the moment. It's been proven time and time again that marijuana is NOT a gateway drug so now they need a new scapegoat. Drug use is usually based on environment. If you were in a household that used herion and only herion,made it seem fun, and it was readily available you would probably use herion and skip marijuana and meth altogether.Being human is a gateway drug. We all seek pleasure and we all do it in different ways. Drugs,sex,music,food,alcohol,shopping.gambling.... I could go on forever.Blame our nature not the sunstances.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Gah it is only a matter of time before they try do outlaw them or something .

There were serious talks here in Aus to impose a tax on them and since im a "9-5" govt tool i have a redbull to drive to work in the mornings and if you maintain a proper diet and drink plenty of water the rest of the day there really are no implications,
however i will say Energy drinks are an acquired taste
and out of all of them red bull although made from synthetic vitamins is probably the healthiest there is no atrificial guarana in it only synthetic taurine and vitamin b's.

i cannot nor will i ever understand the misconceptions and hatred towards them...

its about as bad as these anti smoking campaigns

for the love of all that is good and free if a person chooses to smoke then they should be more than welcome to!
it is the same for these drinks IMO.
when you drink these you accept the risks much like when you walk outside in a storm or hop into your car in the morning

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i love red bull. i think its the only energy drink that tastes good.

i drink it purely for the taste, i just love the flavor. an ice cold red bull is an extremely satisfying beverage. they are also packed full B vitamins, and are actually really healthy (especially the red bull colas vs. any other commercial soda). more on the vitamins later though.

however, i never feel the rush or stimulus or "energy" from the drink. i only drink them for the taste. maybe i don't notice it or maybe its just my personality but i don't start running around the room and doing things in double time. i just really love how they taste and that is the very extent of my relationship with red bull. it doesn't give me a stimulus or high that i crave or need and only in a bizarro nightmare dimension would it make me want to go out and do drugs, namely meth. seriously if i'm going to go out and do drugs i don't think i'll be doing the most physically destructive and cheapest drug in the world made by some red necks in their bathtub.

all those articles are BS. liquid meth? are you freaking kidding me? ugh. that is outrageously stupid.

i think they are coming down on energy drinks because they are huge sources of healthy b vitamins, potassium, and packed with other awesome nutrients. seriously. if it wasn't for the caffiene and sugar/aspartame and color dye, they would literally be potions. they are really good for you, read the ingredients and nutrition table sometime. i bet my last drink of red bull that's the real issue here.

what person under 18 is going to go out and buy bottles of the same vitamins? what person under 18 is even going to care about what they eat that much? they don't like their immense popularity because of how unwittingly healthy they are for the people who drink them.

alchohol is worse than any drug, but nooo, lets get those energy drinks! this is just like 4loko. yeah, the CAFFIENE is what really makes that drink bad. take the CAFFIENE out. this world is seriously so dumb and i hate people so deeply sometimes.

these articles smell like BS corporate interest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join