It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just 58.2% of American Adults Are Employed!( and going downward)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

You think maybe, just maybe those pesky tax cuts Bush rammed through in 2001 may have something to do with it?

I'm paying a far higher percent of my money in the form of taxes than any millionaire is, and I have a major problem with it.

Again, where are the jobs? With the tax rates so low, as we keep hearing, there should be almost a zero unemployment rate. Where are the jobs, and why doesn't the media do it's job?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnsrings
reply to post by tkwasny

Incorrect. The republicans effectively control the senate, as they can stop any and all bills in their tracks. You may want to bone up on your politics before you venture into the deep end.

While he is boning up on politics, maybe you can bone up on economics so that you might better understand that political party affiliation has nothing at all to do with economics. Government intrusions certainly do, but since you're presumably all boned up on your politics there, I don't suppose you need it explained to you that both Democrats and Republicans favor gross government intrusion into the marketplace.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not to downplay the severity of the issue but I have one question.

How retarded do you have to be to believe that the president is responsible for the unemployment rate?

Fact of the matter is that it is an endemic philosophical disease that has put us into this position. Too many people out there for #1, that being themselves, without the understanding that we exist in a system that is, while not communistic, reliant on all parts of the system to succeed. Too many corporations pay too little tax. Too many people are dependent on income from the government, who has too little money to continue supporting them. Too many people are privatizing their money and moving it out of the country, and too few people can afford to pay their rent. It's a pretty sorry situation but to stick it on the shoulders of just one man is at best ignorant, and at worst malignant and deceptive. No one person can save us from ourselves just as no one person put us in this situation. Continuing to place all blame on one guy or expecting that he can magically pull this country up by the scruff of the neck and get it working again is probably the most idiotic thing you can do.
edit on 7-23-2011 by Loki because: grammatical edit

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by saturnsrings
reply to post by tkwasny

Incorrect. The republicans effectively control the senate, as they can stop any and all bills in their tracks. You may want to bone up on your politics before you venture into the deep end.

While he is boning up on politics, maybe you can bone up on economics so that you might better understand that political party affiliation has nothing at all to do with economics. Government intrusions certainly do, but since you're presumably all boned up on your politics there, I don't suppose you need it explained to you that both Democrats and Republicans favor gross government intrusion into the marketplace.

First off, I'm not an economist. Second, my main reason to post in this thread was to clear up a few things because Obama was being obviously bashed. He didn't create the mess, that was eight years in the making, and he certainly hasn't made things worse.

I know full well that both parties are at the beck and call of big business, and the money that goes with it. We are being scammed in every way, by those we elect. The fact that there is little we can do about it, is a different thread all together.

As previously stated, I'm a Paul supporter, but I'm also a realist. He doesn't stand a chance against the money that will be "donated" to all the other candidates.

The two worst economic messes this country has endured have come under republican Presidents, along with very low tax rates, fact. The wealthy have a very low effective tax rate. Another fact.

Thanks for the debate, it kind of feels good to chat politics with someone that isn't swearing at me, and vice versa.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

First off, I'm not an economist.

Don't sweat it. Paul Krugman is, and a Nobel winner in economics to boot, and he's an idiot.

Second, my main reason to post in this thread was to clear up a few things because Obama was being obviously bashed. He didn't create the mess, that was eight years in the making, and he certainly hasn't made things worse.

You don't need to be an economist to know that the economic crisis we face has been more than just eight years in the making. Try one hundred years, and certainly since 1972 when the dollar was taken off of the gold standard.

I know full well that both parties are at the beck and call of big business, and the money that goes with it. We are being scammed in every way, by those we elect. The fact that there is little we can do about it, is a different thread all together.

Sure, try to get agreement that this is a problem created by business, and disguise the call for agreement on that by calling it "big business". The fact of the matter is that there is far more than "little" that we can do about it. Of course, maybe I just have a mouse in my pocket and we can do far more, or maybe at some point you'll figure out that you have basic fundamental rights to earn a living and that you don't need permission from the state in order to do so. Then maybe you'll find the courage of conviction to actually earn that living regardless of what legislatures say about it. It takes courage, to be sure. It takes even temerity, but it is far more than "little".

As previously stated, I'm a Paul supporter, but I'm also a realist. He doesn't stand a chance against the money that will be "donated" to all the other candidates.

Seeking some sort of protected status by declaring yourself a political acolyte of the currently politically anointed Messiah does not disguise the fact that your misplaced faith in government, and especially your misplaced faith in the idea that the Presidency can somehow fix economic problems, is revelatory of the basic problem in this country. As long as we keep waiting for that Messiah, we will keep waiting. When we finally decide to live our lives as we deem fit, and begin making the necessary efforts to flourish and prosper, then the problems will get fixed...and shortly thereafter several politicians will take credit for it.

The two worst economic messes this country has endured have come under republican Presidents, along with very low tax rates, fact. The wealthy have a very low effective tax rate. Another fact.

Are seriously arguing that high rates of taxation are good for economies? You don't need to be an economist to understand the absurdity of that.

Thanks for the debate, it kind of feels good to chat politics with someone that isn't swearing at me, and vice versa.

It's summer time, so all the kids are out of school and bored. Be patient with them and some of them will actually learn something, as well as you and I too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join