It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibly One of the Most Exciting US Sporting Events Ever - And of Course, Under reported!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So, please, here me out on this...here is the goal, in the final seconds, to give to US a victory over Algeria in the last World Cup - the US had to win to advance - all was lost until...

Cantor's call...

first hand view...

As our buddy Glenn Beck Called it:

NOW: the world's reaction:

People here love soccer...it cannot be denied...

now, in the same tourney, you have the US fighting and they WERE the winners, but ultimately, were denied by the Ref. As Cesc Fabregas said at the time, the most exciting team in the tournament is the US, as they fight to the end...

ColoradoJens

edit on 11-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: rip linda dunn

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
soccer is gay,baseball is where its at!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

Please now VicDiaz89, I know you don't mean that...show me the most exciting moment in US baseball recently...

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

today at the homerun derby,robinson cano DROPPED BOMBS.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Soccer is definately not under reported.soccer is on like 5 different channels at any given time.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Really? Where do you live? Not in the US. Homerun Derby is like watching grass grow...

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I live in arizona,lol,i dont even wanna hear a soccer fan call another sport boring..Id rather count the blades of grass on the field than watch a soccer game..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Wow. What pace...

I am noiw officially asleep...also this thread is about one of the best American spoting events ever...do you like hockey? Do you deny the "Miracle on Ice"?

CJ
edit on 12-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Actually i do enjoy hockey a bit,i respect its degree of difficulty,and the fights!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Yes, you are right in it's diffculty...same as soccer...funny, I could always play baseball, football, basketball and do them well. When my buddies from those sports tried soccer, it was like they all had two left feet...maybe because of the difficulty? Also, the sports broadcasting world believes that hockey is boring.

CJ

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Theyre both boring,hockey just has a bit less predictability.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Where were you when that game happened? It was anything but under reported.

I'm a sports junkie, and that world cup was all over ESPN for the entire length of the tournament. Hours upon hours of soccer, most days, for a month. And all over Sports Center you had soccer highlights. Got tired of it, went to FoxSports and they had a lot of coverage too, giving free advertising to their biggest rival as ESPN/ABC had the rights to all the games. You can't say it was under reported.

But here is the problem us Americans have with enjoying soccer: It's not as exciting as people like you want us to believe. Yes, it has it's moments, but like hockey, like baseball, it is long periods of nothing. This is why we as a country watch football more than anything. It is, for the most part, fast paced. You can get up and grab a beer real quick between plays, and the story lines just flow better.

I'm sorry but soccer is not the red headed step child it used to be. ESPN has been pushing it big for the last few years, right now there are 2 soccer games on. One on FoxSports one on the spanish language station. We can even buy a soccer only channel. I really don't see where you are coming from with this one.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewguy1987

Hi! Thanks for the response...couldn't get the last Argentina game here for the Copa Sudamerica...weird, eh? Yes, ESPN, as they see the future, played the one month out of four years that is the world cup. I would say this is interesting in that the only posters have demeaned the sport, when the thread was regardign a great American sports moment. The NFL, which I will be happy to match information regading the last 40 years of, has become completely boring to watch. Most of the time it is beer commericals or some goofs rehashing the same play thirty two times...it has lost its pace and is at the whim of television. Still love it, but tv has ruined it.

CJ

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Of course you won't get many foreign games here in America...although they do have special channels you can buy for that.We don't show cricket because it's mostly a foreign game and we have no interest. But I do know that ESPN runs Premier League games on Saturday, maybe Sunday mornings when they are in season. Yes they start around 7 or 8 in the AM, but it's live and I'd rather have that than a tape delay where I will see the final score during Sports Center right before hand.

I'm not sure why you expect many foreign matches to be shown here, we have very little interest in them. MLS on the other hand, ESPN has one night a week at least where they show a MLS match. Tonight was that night. Was working out and saw it on one of the TVs.

As for Football, I cannot agree with you. Football is in it's television golden age. All you have to do is look at the ratings to see that. The NFL will be demanding more money for networks to license their games next year because they know how much the networks make off of advertising. Networks are able to demand more money from advertisers because we, as a nation, choose to tune into around 10 hours of football every from Sunday September through early February. If we chose to tune into every baseball game with the same force, baseball wouldn't be mostly on cable and local stations. But we have spoken with our remotes.

Soccer is getting there, although I don't think it will ever meet football's popularity. The NBA's is more likely. Just give ESPN and FOXSports time. They want that revenue and they will make us love soccer. It's not a bad game, but most Americans experiences with the game is either as a young kid when all they do is run around like chickens with their head cut off, or once every four years for the Cup. The first is changing, as soccer is growing into more and more high schools and colleges, and the second, as I said, ESPN and FOXSports are working on.

In a perfect world, all sports would get equal air time and people would be exposed to all sorts of different sports and the customs that come with them. Luckily, we are edging closer and closer to that with digital TV. I can tune to NBC Universal right now and maybe catch a rugby match, an Aussie rules football game, beach volleyball, or whatever that network is choosing to show right now. Most of the time it's a good watch for a sports fan like myself. Aside from that, in due time we will have multiple subscription channels for whatever sport you prefer. Hopefully, we will have even more digital channels with the same thing.
edit on 13-7-2011 by thenewguy1987 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by thenewguy1987 because: to fix multiple spelling/grammar errors

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewguy1987

Thought I'd throw up another video pertaining to the subject directly - there are many Americans who do want it, but the sport is in such an infantile state when it comes to its pro league...I mean, the MLS? And yet still Seattle is selling out its games - and their team is terrible! Regardless, imho all proud USA sports fans should get excited by this - I mean, I'll even cheer on the US ping pong team if they give me a reason to! Go USA!

CJ

top topics

join