It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CarrotMob. How Else Can We ACTUALLY Make A Change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I recently heard of an organization called the Carrotmob. Here is a bit about them.

Carrotmob is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, CA.[1] It uses buycotts (a form of consumer activism where a community buys a lot of goods from one company in a small time period) to reward a business's commitment to making socially responsible changes to the business. Carrotmob also refers to a global movement[2] of community organizers who use the Carrotmob tactic of consumer activism as a way to help change businesses in their communities.[3] In a Carrotmob buycott, businesses compete to be the most socially responsible business, and then a network of consumers spends money to support the winner.

en.wikipedia.org...

I think that this something that can be huge, and used for different causes. This is something that many of us can do in our neighborhoods, to support farms, mom and pop shops, etc,. With an idea like this and just a few people getting together, we can all make a difference.

BTW, when I first saw this, the founder of Carrotmob visited local business that could be more environmentally conscience, and asked them, if they were to provide customers from Carrotmob, How much of the revenue would they be willing to use to actually purchase more environmentally safe products, or equipment for their business.

He visited more then one location and whichever one, actually offered to use the most of the money to help the store, and the neighborhood and environment, would win the bid. Then all of those that are part of the "Mob" would make purchases and tell friends and neighbors that this particular store or business was interested in helping the planet and the neighborhood, and everyone would come out and back the store that made the highest bid.

This in turn makes other business want to do the same thing. I would love to hear any other ideas like this, as I would love to start something like this where I live to try to keep the smaller business and farmers markets open.

Peace, NRE.
edit on 11-7-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: spell check

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I also wanted to add that sometimes.. ok, most of the time we are actually knowing of the corrupt system that we are involved in, and not always because we want to, but because we still need food, and water, and yes, sometimes coffee, but with an idea like this WE make the rules.

I always hate hearing about how a major chain is shutting down yet another business, and then I have to walk into the Walmart, and I dread it. This is for me, and this is why I shared it, is to help those we want to, and make a difference. I could be for whatever you want.

Environment, Monopolizing companies, or just to help your local area, maybe even just buying at a place that you know is not affiliated with sweat shops, or child labor. There is no end to what we can all do together.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Now that's a wonderful thing to do. Brilliant idea, if there is no one to buy their junk, their companies will have to change policies or go bust. I shall do my best to spread-it around, at least it is some real action, unlike signing electronic petitions fom our comfy armchairs. Can't wait for the reaction
Thanx, S&F.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
MONEY is their language its all they understand. We are all fully aware that we cannot stay away from EVERYTHING, but we can start learning to stand up and be counted where corporations feel it the most... in their pockets.

Protests, videos, picket signs, they all get ignored, or no media attention. This way we get at things done, by bringing it to the source.

Peace, NRE.

top topics

join