It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age of the Sphinx, A glaring issue about it's age!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Because the temple and the head are not carved from that ground limestone. So either the temple rock and head are stronger materials quarried from a more resiliant material or they were added much later.

I personally believe the head has been added later as the proportions to the body do not match. I have heard several theories that the head was originally Anubis.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Anon as always we seem to find ourselves on a similar stance.
remember though. I can argue the traditional Academic stance/view just as vigorously

But still, this does seem like a good mystery

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick
reply to post by SLAYER69

Because the temple and the head are not carved from that ground limestone. So either the temple rock and head are stronger materials quarried from a more resiliant material or they were added much later.

Ok do you mean "re-carved" later? Because it could not have been added later to the body because it's one solid continuously sculptured piece.

I personally believe the head has been added later as the proportions to the body do not match. I have heard several theories that the head was originally Anubis.

The head being "Re-carved" is a possibility but again "Added"???

I like the Anubis touch

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Originally posted by iamhobo
It honestly looks like the head shows a lot less erosion. My educated guess would be the sphynx's head used to be something else and was re-carved to emulate a leader. I'll be the first to say that I don't know a whole lot about ancient Egypt, but the fact that the head is so small comparatively to the body suggests that it could have been re-carved.

This is a really interesting theory, and one which I had never heard or considered before.

If someone were to take an existing carving and reshape it to resemble something else, it would make sense that the resulting piece would be smaller than the original. It might also appear to be newer and in better shape than the original after stripping away the outer layers of eroded material.

And to the OP, great thread. I am enjoying reading the responses.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by larnhr
The Sphinx IS older than the buildings around it. It was actually built around 10,000BC. Also, its head was that of a female, NOT a male, when it was constructed.

I've heard and read this theory as well. It does seem to have more of a feminine appearance rather than a masculine one. Which could shoot the whole "Khafra" scenario out of the water unless, he created it in the image of a wife

edit on 11-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Slayer. The body shows much more wear than the head does. I know there has been repair work done on the head. However size wise the head looks to me,to have been recarved,from a larger head. jmo.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well let's take a vote of members opinions. From here on out let's have an impromptu survey. Before you reply please answer with A. or B. and why you feel that is the case. We can have some FUN here you know....

A. Do you feel the head shows sign of being re-carved?

Or

B. It has always been disproportionally smaller?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
DP

NM

Moving along

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
A

Yes probably recarved sorry. I just heard that the body has been restored/pathched and replaced several times across the ages. Including the romans.

Not sure if the information on this site can be trusted as I just picked the first one I found for quick info. But it's quite interesting how many people could of made little changes to the sphinx.

www.touregypt.net...
edit on 11-7-2011 by LadyTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Backslider
Because the Sphinx was built from the limestone bedrock, which of course is layered. Some layers are more compressed/stronger than others, which accounts for the uneven and strange looking erosion patters you see on the Sphinx.

Also another thing to consider, is that the head like the body and the enclosure is also layered in both softer and stronger "Strata" layers. It isn't a "solid single piece" of any one particular layer type. Yet, if it were re-carved in a much more recent time period than the body or enclosure it wouldn't show as much wear. Which seems to be the case we are confronted with.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2d93802bf6e.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Interesting thread. Immediately sparked my interest. I agree with another poster about the possibility of it once being underwater, but haven't actually ever seen it documented anywhere like they had. My immediate thought was that the Sphinx worked along with the Pyramids somehow as a energy source or a conduit of some kind.

After a Google search of "sphinx energy" I encountered this interesting blurb, take from it what you want:

I was triggered by a man in Romania who emailed me in August 2008 about the Sphinx in Egypt being connected to a form he feels is a Sphinx in a mountain in Romania. I had my Sphinx also, a rock shaped like one at Awaawakino my favorite vortex and inter-dimensional doorway just along the coast from where I live in East Cape, New Zealand. I have done a lot of work there with it over the years and on the New Moon in Virgo 31st August 2008 I was there again. I was told on the inner. “Beloved the Sphinx is connected to your friend’s one in Romania and at Giza, Istanbul and Cairo. In South America there is one in the Amazon Jungle and one in Australia at Watarrka, Kings Canyon”. I have since become aware the one at Castle Hill, Sun Temple, Southern Alps, New Zealand and there will be others as well that if and when we are meant to be aware of them then we will. “The Sphinxes were all built at the same time as the one at Giza, and part of the star map that aligns the energies as the Celestial Sun made a new turn of the Solar Clock and things changed in their frequency and energy. This is happening now as you know and so the Sphinxes are all connecting and hold keys for the transition period we are now entering. On this New Moon in Virgo the Sphinxes are being connected through an ancient grid network that the Cat people left on Earth. This is not the Solar or Light Grids but a sacred geometric matrix of Light that sustains life and allows the abundance of the Light to illuminate all life, in abundance of life giving energy.

Wordy and a little "out there," but certainly on track somewhere in there, especially the bit about all the other sphinxes being built around the same time period and them all having something to do with one another. I had no idea about any other sphinx. If you didn't either:
Sphinx (Romania)

Istanbul, Turkey Sphinx (although much smaller)

Castle Hill, South Island, New Zealand Sphinx

I was unable to find the one in the Amazon (although there is a pyramid there, so I wouldn't be surprised), the one at East Cape, New Zealand, or the one in King's Canyon, Australia, so I don't know where the author gathered this information. I'm sure there are more. Interesting how spread out they are.

Good thread, thank you. Speculation is fun.

edit on 11-7-2011 by celerygeneral because: corrected mispelling

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyTrick

Ahhh, thank you for the link.

I'll check it out. I'm always on the look out for another perceptive.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by celerygeneral

I appreciate the links. I'll get into them in a bit. I'm off to get some work done around here. I keep saying that havent moved. Yet

Everybody has posted great info.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
History is starting to show that we had a previous epoch pre-history. We were advanced but not like today. Today our technology is based on petroleum and electricity. It seems that in the past we embraced a more 'natural' technology not understood by modern minds.

10-30000 years is nothing for humans. What is so perplexing is figuring out what almost extinction level event occurred in our not too distant past to have us forget why, how and when we built the temples, pyramids, cities, monuments around the world not to mention the severed ties between the americas and the east.

The sphinx appears to have been carved out of a much older object.
edit on 11-7-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
History is starting to show that we had a previous epoch pre-history. We were advanced but not like today. Today our technology is based on petroleum and electricity. It seems that in the past we embraced a more 'natural' technology not understood by modern minds.

I agree it's an interesting possibility.

For those who haven't seen them yet, They are well worth 40+ minutes each of your time.

The Pyramid Code: High Level Technology

The Pyramid Code: The Band of Peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Dont know if its been mentioned , but the turks shot the nose off of the sphinx with their cannon for fun i think.
So some of the wear is war......
Nobody mentioned the library of knowledge that edgar cayce prophesied would be between its paws....
Also, there is a fair amount of caves under the giza plateau that Zahi Hawass was supposed to see explored.....but havent heard any more.....great thread slay.....s

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Great thread! S&F

I seem to recall a video with Robert Shoch where he points out a wall (which I believe was on the temple) that was composed of two sections. The inner section of the wall was older and showed weathering similar to that of the Sphinx. The outer section (an apparent rebuild/renovation) was newer and showed less weathering, and I believe was dated to around the traditional dating of the Sphinx and Pyramid.

A bit of an inconsistency here too!

I'll see if I can't find more details on that somewhere again.

Anyhow you make a bunch of great points. I think its safe to say the jury is still out on the age of the Sphinx. I suspect it is much older than folks think.

Also, Graham Hancock showed that the Spnix was lined up with the rising of the constellation Leo (the Lion) around 10,000 BC. As is obvious, the Sphinx is part (at least today) lion. (And there's that magical date of ~10,000 BC again!)

edit on 11-7-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
i am not sure but i assumed the sphinx was more weathered because it was exposed to the elements for a greater period of time, where as the rest had to be exgavated and have the sand moved to expose what was underneath.

so i just assumed the rest was buried (not exposed to the elements).
edit on 11-7-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
i am not sure but i assumed the sphinx was more weathered because it was exposed to the elements for a greater period of time, where as the rest had to be exgavated and have the sand moved to expose what was underneath.

so i just assumed the rest was buried (not exposed to the elements).

So let me ask you a question. If that's the case then why is the fact and head in such great condition compared to it's body?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Backslider
Because the Sphinx was built from the limestone bedrock, which of course is layered. Some layers are more compressed/stronger than others, which accounts for the uneven and strange looking erosion patters you see on the Sphinx.

Also another thing to consider, is that the head like the body and the enclosure is also layered in both softer and stronger "Strata" layers. It isn't a "solid single piece" of any one particular layer type. Yet, if it were re-carved in a much more recent time period than the body or enclosure it wouldn't show as much wear. Which seems to be the case we are confronted with.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2d93802bf6e.gif[/atsimg]

I don't have an answer that I'm sure of. One thing I would consider is that the head may have been re-carved, as others have indicated. Also it is known that the Sphinx was once painted, at least the head was.. Perhaps the paint served as a sealant for however many centuries it lasted before being washed away.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the head consists of a lot of steep, vertical angles. Water wouldn't settle on the head for as long as it would on the other, flatter surfaces.

There is definitely some mystery here, and I'm not claiming to have any absolute answers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join