It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An advanced warning for winter 2011/2012 for the UK. Be prepared!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
For many years I've kept my legs warm in winter by wearing ladies' tights beneath my trousers. I've never found it embarrassing, as they make perfectly good - and economical - leg warmers.

As a Trucker saving money and staying warm are my priorities. In summer I switch to wearing cooler and more hygienic stockings and suspenders.

edit on 11/7/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

do you wear fully fashioned? or those cheap wall marts? what style of suspenders?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
All these weathermen/women should get performance related pay, if they mess up and get it wrong then no pay. Im sure they would make every effort to get it right then. With all the new technology at there disposal they still constantly mess it up, my grandparents said that they predicted it better in the 50's and 60's than they do now. With the recent hike in gas and electric prices im hoping for a warmer winter than the last few having a large house to heat prooves costly, i am actually thinking of knocking my fireplace back in and having an open fire as finding scrap wood is easier than finding 60 pounds a week to heat my house.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I wear jogging suit bottoms under my winter pants (trousers) the double layer is quite warm, and five layers over my torso, sweat shirt, shirt, (both cotton) wool pullover, cotton jacket, padded jacket, the thin layers mean I can still move, and all the layers help keep the warmth in, the first two cotton layers absorb any excess sweat. I change my socks often, wet socks (sweat) do not have any thermal insulation at all.
head wear, clean dry wool, lets out excess heat, if its snowing/raining, change hat when home, dry out wet hat as soon as possible, last of all, make sure to keep your 'sweaty' parts clean and dry when ever possible, you do not have to shower every day, that just makes you body loose natural oils, which means skin cracks in cold weather, just keep washing the bits that need it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
reply to post by yellowbeard

Is there a picture for us to s'n-word' at of the romper suit? That better better to look daft and be warm and toasty, than look cool and be frozen solid and wishing you hadn't gone out!

Here you go, if this works that is.
One romper suit ( minus yellowbeard
) for your chuckling pleasure
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3bee4754b42.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

And what are you basing your knowledge on? Last winter was definitely a winter worthy of taking extreme measures. I live in the Midlands and it was far less harsher than up North.

Don't pay attention if you don't want to but is it not better to be prepared just incase based on the early evidence we have? You will soon be complaining if you can't get out of your street and the supermarkets run out of food I'm sure.

see your bordering on fearmongering here.. being trapped.. no food etc.. and what are you basing your prediction on? last winter? and a thread on another forum?
its july.. noone can accurately predict this coming winter..

and it wasnt that bad last winter.. yeah, it was cold and snowed for a "brief" period of a few weeks... but the rest of the winter was quite mild.. and it wasnt bad enough where people were trapped and had no food..

you make it sound like were gonna have conditions similar to that of siberia.. snow tyres and dried food.. come on man!!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm not expecting this coming winter to be as harsh as last winter.

On the other hand, nor am I expecting it to end so soon. Not seen any snow fall here since 22nd December - never before have we gone through Jan and Feb without a single flake of snow falling. And Feb was my warmest and least frosty on record (back to 2003). Easy to forget that half of last winter was exceptionally mild!

However, common sense is common sense and it never hurts to be prepared, especially if you live in remote areas.
edit on 11-7-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

And I don't think it will ever be cold enough to take extreme measures.. Except in the far north and Scotland..

Bloody typical, who cares about us Northerners and our Jock bretheren?

Was it last winter or the one before when Kent seemed to get it worse than anywhere else?
Major headlines.
Emergency funding.
Constant whining.

But when it's The North and Scotland who get it who really cares?

Personally, I don't really mind the cold, I just bloody hate it when the snow starts to melt and it all goes to slush.
And it can be a bugger walking home from the pub at daft o'clock in the morning!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Amazing.

An Outlaw in a blue romper suit.

You must have got some stick!
edit on 11/7/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

I think people in the UK especially have too much expectation when it comes to the weather. We assume we live in a Mediterranean climate when infact the UK is more at a same latitude as Siberia, Kamchatka, Nova Scotia & Alaska.

we may be near the same latitude.. but you cannot compare the weather extremes between us and those places mentioned...

because of this..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f26721f64c9.jpg[/atsimg]

lowest recorded temperature in the uk.. --27.2 in the scottish highlands..
alaska -80..
siberia. -71.2

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Amazing.

An Outlaw in a blue romper suit.

You must have got some stick!
edit on 11/7/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

Loads of it
until we got to our destination and I was the only one not frozen into a position that made them walk round looking like hunchbacks for an hour

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Weirdly enough I've seen worse! If it keeps you warm then who am I to complain, ok, I may s'n-word' a bit, but like you I'd rather be warm.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Flasks of tea, chemical handwarmers, mylar type jackets ( get them off amazon for under £15 ), emergency blankets, attic insulation is being looked into, draft excluders...oh, and dress in layers. I was seriously ill last winter and was unconscious in bed with that flu for 36 hrs over xmas. Not a fun time. I'm not looking forward to the gas bills next winter. Thanks for the OP

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Another thing to not forget it being prepared when you are on your travels in the cold winters,
That's one lesson i learned this year in the UK is making sure that when you go out you have some things with you,

In a car its best to have a few extra covers and flask of hot soup and a few extra warm cloths in case you get wet, some wellies and spare socks!

that way if you break down at a road side you have a few bits to keep you snug until help arrives,

Also when walking i carry a few bits in my bag, Plasters and a bandage! the amount of time i fell over in the ice and witnessed others doing the same, those things became very handy,

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I've got 'Long John's', got them a couple of years back...thermal too!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
For many years I've kept my legs warm in winter by wearing ladies' tights beneath my trousers. I've never found it embarrassing, as they make perfectly good - and economical - leg warmers.

As a Trucker saving money and staying warm are my priorities. In summer I switch to wearing cooler and more hygienic stockings and suspenders.

edit on 11/7/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

It's never been cold enough in the UK for this
Don't bang your vagina on your truck door

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

We could all do with one of these!
cgi.ebay.co.uk...:MEWAX:IT#ht_632wt_1139&clk_rvr_id=247034952936&af1

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 11-7-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Most importantly - help your elderly relatives and neighbours. Be a good person and assist them with shopping, repairs, clearing their paths and keeping black ice at bay.

Slips and falls can kill or seriously injure old people.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Mr London. We don't all live in yuppie land.

Some of us live in the countryside or small towns (You know the REST of the UK).

So don't give the OP grief when he/she is only trying to help. If it doesn't snow, great - You can say 'I told you so', but if it does then the OP may have saved a few lives.

But then again, I expect nothing less from a Londoner.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Doh! Forgot the obvious...hot water bottles, get 3, one under your shoulders and neck, one for your stomach and one for your feet, saves on at least a few hours worth of gas per night. Get an extra quilt and put on top of the sheets and lay on it. And those thick fleece blankets with arms in ( the argos ones ) work nicely with the hot water bottles.
Yes you would be right in thinking that I don't like being cold...don't mind the snow, hate ice. Oh, and dark chocolate is a good fuel food and it boosts mood

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

And what are you basing your knowledge on? Last winter was definitely a winter worthy of taking extreme measures. I live in the Midlands and it was far less harsher than up North.

Don't pay attention if you don't want to but is it not better to be prepared just incase based on the early evidence we have? You will soon be complaining if you can't get out of your street and the supermarkets run out of food I'm sure.

see your bordering on fearmongering here.. being trapped.. no food etc.. and what are you basing your prediction on? last winter? and a thread on another forum?
its july.. noone can accurately predict this coming winter..

and it wasnt that bad last winter.. yeah, it was cold and snowed for a "brief" period of a few weeks... but the rest of the winter was quite mild.. and it wasnt bad enough where people were trapped and had no food..

you make it sound like were gonna have conditions similar to that of siberia.. snow tyres and dried food.. come on man!!

I wouldn't say this is fearmongering at all from my own experience. Last winter was one of the coldest on record and I PERSONALLY had an HGV smash into the back of my car after the car infront lost control... probably wouldn't have happened if that car had snow tyres. I also live at the bottom of a slight slope and was unable to get out of my street for 3 days. IF the weather is worse, people like myself could be left trapped in home for much longer and deliveries to supermarkets can be badly affected.

You are right about no one being able to accurately predict the winter forecast at this stage but my point is, if we are ready, then we will manage a lot better than last year.

<< 1    3 >>

join