It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salva Kiir Mayardit..and Africas newest Nation..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e260e128e272.jpg[/atsimg]

i was just curious as i watched a report on this guy earlier talking about how he admires texas men, but cant really describe particularly the qualities he admires...but from MSM's point of view he doesnt seem so bad?

The former rebel commander has guided his homeland of Southern Sudan through multiple challenges since a 2005 peace deal ended two decades of war with the north.Since becoming the south's leader later that year, much of his focus has been on ensuring the south's referendum on full independence - the climax of that peace agreement - does take place.As such, he has had to tread an often difficult line in negotiations with former enemies in the north.Mr Kiir is also vice-president of all Sudan, but he has long supported full independence for the south. In 2009, he made his feelings clear, saying: "The upcoming referendum is a choice between being a second-class in your own country, or a free person in your independent state."

www.bbc.co.uk...

Any group or individual can declare their own nation, but without recognition from other states, this can be a futile gesture. Even with international assent, there can be problems. Says Louise Arimatsu, an international law expert at London's Chatham House, South Sudan is unlikely to meet resistance since its so-called parent state -- Sudan -- has agreed to the secession. This was not the case when Serbia refused to accept Kosovo's declared independence in 2008, resulting in delays bringing Kosovo into the United Nations fold. South Sudanese officials say they are on track for recognition by the U.N., the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and other key bodies.

www.cnn.com...

Seems to work out for the west right? What about the people of Africa?

Countries need borders, and it is here that South Sudan is going where no new nation has gone before, testing a principle of international law known as uti possidetis. Under this rule all new states have been drawn along pre-existing boundaries. East Timor, for instance, reclaimed pre-colonial boundaries when it emerged from Indonesian occupation at the end of the last century. South Sudan, however, will carve a new frontier with its northern neighbor along lines still fiercely disputed due to access to oil resources.

Is Africa following the West of its own accord or are they being pushed by foreign influences in order to get a piece of the resource action? is the African Union actually for Africa or is it just a front for Nato and the IMF? id love some opinions! the tone of this next article rings a little different..

www.southsudannewsagency.com...

ill say its amazing that theyve managed to reach some sort of peace but on the other hand does this benefit the sudanese in the long run? it just doesnt seem the people in Africa are declaring Independence of their own accord, but then again im not faced with the same danger that most of the population faces along the disputed borders daily, again would love some opinions!

edit on 9-7-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: Spelling

edit on 9-7-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm glad this has been brought up again.
I posted a thread on this a while ago. Thread

Your thread is a lot more informative than mine was. S&F

I wonder why this is in the news again six months later?
Or who will be the first to exploit the new nation for it's oil?
edit on 9-7-2011 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks this information is very informative. This is why I come to
ATS first.

edit on 10-7-2011 by Teeky because: is

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

it kills me that this isnt brought up more ANYWHERE, the most unnoticed continental humanitarian crisis in history!

new topics

top topics

join