It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Gone Wild: 10 Signs That Our World May Be Destined To Resemble A Really Bad Science Fiction Movi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

GMO Gone Wild: 10 Signs That Our World May Be Destined To Resemble A Really Bad Science Fiction Movie

endoftheamericandream.com

This is a point that I made in an article I authored for another blog called The Future.... At this point there are very few restrictions remaining on fields such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, synthetic biology, cloning and genetic modification. All over the world, scientists are feverishly combining different kinds of animals together, adding plant genes to certain animals, and even putting human DNA into plants and animals. Life as we know it is literally changing, and it is very hard
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
endoftheamericandream.com... ction-movie

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

to tell what the future is going to look like if all of this continues. Well, read the following examples of genetic modification below and decide for yourself whether or not things have gotten out of control.

#1 In China, scientists have inserted human genes into the DNA of dairy cow embryos. At this point, approximately 200 hybrid cows have been successfully produced. These cows can produce milk that is virtually identical to human breast milk. The scientists hope to have huge herds of these cows producing an alternative to human breast milk soon, and they hope to have this "milk" sold in global supermarkets within 3 years.
#2 In Canada, scientists at the University of Guelph in the province of Ontario have produced what they are calling "enviropigs". These "enviropigs" have had genes from mice spliced into them, and according to the scientists they produce less phosphorous in their poop so they are being touted as environmentally friendly. Authorities in both the U.S. and Canada are evaluating whether or not to allow these "enviropigs" into the food supply.
#3 Scientists in Japan have created a genetically modified mouse that tweets like a bird.
#4 One U.S. corporation can now produce a very muscular "monster salmon" which can grow up to three times as fast as normal salmon do.
#5 Science can now produce cats that glow in the dark. A genetically modified cat created by scientists named Mr. Green Genes was the very first fluorescent cat in the United States. But Mr. Green Genes was not the first "glow in the dark cat" in the world. That honor went to a cat created by a team of scientists in South Korea.
#6 In Japan, scientists have discovered that they can grow rat organs inside of mice. The researchers hope to use the same technology to grow human organs inside of pigs.
#7 But Japan is not the only one doing this kind of research. In Missouri, entities that are part pig and part human are being grown with the goal of providing organs for human transplants.
#8 Scientists at Rockefeller University have injected human genes into mice. These "humanized mice" are being used to study the spread of the hepatitis C virus.
#9 U.S. scientists have discovered that they can actually "grow" new human organs from scratch. The following is a quote from a recent Newsweek article....
It might sound like science fiction, but growing new organs from scratch has already become reality. In addition to bladders, scientists have engineered new skin, bone, cartilage, corneas, windpipes, arteries, and urethras.
#10 Believe it or not, a company in Canada known as Nexia has actually taken goats and has genetically modified them to be part spider. The genetic modification process causes these "spider goats" to produce spider silk protein in their milk. This spider silk protein is collected, purified and spun into incredibly strong fibers. These fibers are apparently more durable than Kevlar, more flexible than nylon, and much stronger than steel.

Don't take the committing terrorism part seriously, just all talk. Huge part has bee deleted for being irrelevant to topic.

I guess it is kind of late to even try to avoid GMO corn or soybean. Today, approximately 93 percent of all soybeans and approximately 80 percent of all corn in the United States have been genetically modified considering the fact that corn is literally in thousands upon thousands of our food products, there is a really good chance that you consumed some genetically modified food today.

I forgot to mention the human embryo they inserted with rabbit DNA and now there are rabbits with human germ line. WTF!

Seriously, what does it take to get peoples attention on this issue, I'm prepared to burn myself if that is what gets peoples attention.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Scientists who think that they can play God, have been messing with the nature of things for quite some time, and I think its getting worse. I used to have nightmares about "mad scientist" types...who's quest for knowledge and control , coupled with a disregard for anything sacred , was taking humanity into a very dark abyss.

There has to be a line somewhere in the sand, about what is going to extremes, in the name of science.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

This makes me so angry I want to commit terrorism on GMO corporations. I am prepared to join Al Qaeda if they commit terrorism against GMO corporations.

Not sure who the original author of this quote is, but I can assure you, this is not a healthy thought to be having....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
nice thread, shame about the sensationalist title but i suppose i can still give you a star and flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thanks, I corrected it. I should also mention that committing terrorism is just all talk, I can't walk the walk. Decided to delete it since it was irrelevant to the subject.

link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
Scientists who think that they can play God, have been messing with the nature of things for quite some time, and I think its getting worse. I used to have nightmares about "mad scientist" types...who's quest for knowledge and control , coupled with a disregard for anything sacred , was taking humanity into a very dark abyss.

There has to be a line somewhere in the sand, about what is going to extremes, in the name of science.

I would say scientists are not really the problem. Scientists will always be scientists, they will always want to try things out, experiment, solve problems, prove theories.

The problem, in my opinion, is the monetary system, capitalism. Money encourages people to be selfish, to be greedy, to become corrupt. It encourages the quest for more profit year on year. Not only that, but consumers want to pay less and less. Our demand for cheaper food prices adds to this.

We are all to blame really, we wont like to hear it, but its true. But the main underlining cause is as simple as greed caused by money.

st.

link   

Originally posted by boncho

This makes me so angry I want to commit terrorism on GMO corporations. I am prepared to join Al Qaeda if they commit terrorism against GMO corporations.

Not sure who the original author of this quote is, but I can assure you, this is not a healthy thought to be having....

It simply reveals the frustrations people are having and lack of sanity in this world...not from those frustrated, but by those who perpetrate the clearly detrimental "technologies" (bio-weapons) and systems that our society runs/collapses upon. A controlled or uncontrolled decline of civilization is inevitable, but this this method is reckless and sadistic.

link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Unfortunately the likes of us little guys are unheard. We are disorganized and wandering all over the place with our concerns and conspiracies. There is no authority to step in and police this kind of research and development and as the op says, it seems to be moving ahead full tilt.

The only way to stop this stuff is with rigid law enforcement, not only in the US but around the world. And you know what? There is no governmental body to do this. The only hope to enforce restrictions of the kind that would be needed to halt this stuff would be through a, ready for this? New World Order. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sajaha 12:2

Custom is no more, but vice is considered noble. Men will run away with boys, women will not want to be women, but appear with impunity as men themselves, people will mix with impunity with animals and beget hybrids. And hybrids of hybrids will be numberless in the streets of the cities, without being destroyed.

First link in my signature.
I
I
I
I
v

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
They also made a glowing Mouse/Meece..

They are now sold as novelty items..

These mice are glowing because scientists inserted a gene found in certain bioluminescent jellyfish into their DNA. That gene is a recipe for a protein that glows green when hit by blue or ultraviolet light. The protein is present throughout their bodies. As a result, their skin, eyes and organs give off an eerie light. Only their fur does not glow.

Created by Tony Perry and Teru Wakayama at Advanced Cell Technology in Worcester, Mass., these mice draw attention to how powerful genetic engineering has become. They also underscore the importance of green fluorescent protein, or GFP. The glowing protein is now a widely used biological highlighter that helps scientists find and study genes more quickly. But few noticed when Osamu Shimomura, then a scientist at Princeton, discovered GFP 40 years ago.

::EDIT::

Forgot to add the novelty act..

www.neonmice.com...
edit on 7/9/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

it seems that if you can genetically cross species then any virus that would be specific to that specie would then be humanized creating new threats to humanity that otherwise had uncrossable boundaries created by nature. for instance a cow producing human breast milk may pass undetected mad cow disease in a humanised version. it may be theorised as impossible, but then again youve created a glowing cat!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The one about the pig/human hybrids makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer helps the pig man escape from the hospital, lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Can I have the gene that makes things glow in the dark inserted into me?

...I would be a hit at night clubs and parties....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus
The one about the pig/human hybrids makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer helps the pig man escape from the hospital, lol.

Poor little glowing mice being sold as novelty items

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
next thing you know they will be growing presidential candidates in test tubes....oh wait...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

comon its no so bad we having been messing with nature for thousands of years and naturalised many things. Pigs are not natural cretins, nor apples, cows etc. So what is wrong with gene splicing... In itself nothing these are tools and it is how these tools are used that is a problem....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

comon its no so bad we having been messing with nature for thousands of years and naturalised many things. Pigs are not natural cretins, nor apples, cows etc. So what is wrong with gene splicing... In itself nothing these are tools and it is how these tools are used that is a problem....

Couldn't have said it better myself. And, I probably wouldn't have made this post just to say that, but this is like the third post in a row of yours that I have agreed with.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Tinkering with genetic is not the same as natural breeding between creatures. We already know that genetically modified crops have been linked to organ disruption in at least 19 different studies. You think GMO creatures will benefit humans. I think not, GMO crop bad enough, getting human milk from cows will be just as bad.

We should look the consequence first before its to late to go back. Unfortunately some people decide to play god or more likely the devil in creating problems before they even know enough about the consequences to solve the problem they unleashed upon humanity, leaving the public holding the consequences.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
In all honesty, I thrill at the thought of this technology and such advancements in science, but the ethical part of me is horrified. I can absolutely see both sides of the coin on this stuff... but happen to chose the more ethical side of it.
Seems like the devil on the shoulder wins out with some scientists because this is amazing stuff... but lets hope the angel on the other one wins out in the end.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join