It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm ashamed to be an American

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I play Ps3 sometimes so I get a chance to talk to people from other countries via headset. Whenever someone from a different country asks where I'm from, I'm always ashamed to tell them the U.S.A. Why? Let's take a look at things that are going on.(I'm going to line break the sections but have no paragraph structure to make it an easier read)

1.) The President currently in office.
Just to clear this up off rip, I am concerned with the mans policies. His skin tone has no bearing on the reasons I dislike him. I am sick and tired of being labeled a racist by the blind Obama followers whos only arguement is I must be racist because I think he's doing a terrible job. If you ask which policies I have to laugh because it's pretty much any/all of them. His healthcare bill is unconstitutional, a few court rulings will back me up on this, yet it's continued to be pushed through. His view on illegal immigration is one of pure ignorance. I think his handling of the Arizona controversy will shine light of where I'm coming from. You're a President from Chicago, so you must know more than the states that border Mexico. We have people being murdered in Texas. Let's not turn a blind eye to that. The "Operation Fast and Furious" debacle is just another minor screwup for this administration I guess. If you haven't heard of it I suggest you google it. I'm also sick of his tactics to sneak around congress. It's there for a reason. The whole "tax the rich" situation that his supporters can't seem to understand. We are still in a recession no matter what Obama would like you to believe. The last thing you want to do during a time like this is increase taxes. Not only will the economy slow to a crawl, there is the chance that our entire system might crash(which is what I think he wants). Without getting to off topic think about this: Is it easier to pay off all our debt through massive cuts and putting a stop to spending, or is it much easier to crash the system, deal with the consequences and start from scratch? Also very recently an illegal immigrant was executed. I agree with this all the way, since he kidnapped, raped and beat a woman to death with a piece of asphalt. What kills me is Obama trying to get Texas to stop the execution. No matter what treaty, or pressure from Mexico or any other reason should Obama even get involved. He is a complete moron for thinking Texans weren't going to kill this bastard. This is just a few of the reasons he's a horrible president, I didn't even scratch the surface.

2.) Government in general.
I don't think government is a bad idea and no I'm not an anarchist(yet). It's just the programs that are killing us. Our government is just to damn big. What does the Department of Education do? We still have failing schools. There are some schools where teachers are actually afraid for their lives to come and teach. This is something that not only can be reduced, but can be cut from government and I don't think anyone would miss it. The welfare system is another one that should be reduced. Now I'm not coldhearted and I understand there are legitimate cases where people need help... but when I see someone getting food stamps, being on section 8 and receiving welfare checks driving a big ass SUV with a huge plasma tv in their free apartment talking on a brand new iPhone it makes me sick. This is not where I want my hard earned money going. I am a mailman in a poor neighborhood and I do see this going on, so all people who say this doesn't happen is just blind. I don't like it at all that this person who doesn't work one bit has better # than me. I hope they pass the law in every state that makes it mandatory to get drug tested before receiving welfare. There are people of every color on welfare so the ignorant S.O.B.s calling this law racist can get bent. People who get unemployment checks is another big issue. It used to be you got them for a few months then you get cut off. You have to work. Now there are people getting unemployment for YEARS. It's just crazy to me. People who are disabled, honestly disabled, should get help. I've had someone at my work just decide they couldn't do it anymore. They quit their job and filed for disability and started collecting checks. That is just insane to me. You don't need to get hurt or even have doctors advice. You can just decide on your own and quit. I'm not saying these programs are bad. I think we SHOULD help the people who actually need our help. It's our duty as humans to help one another. It's the corrupt # that flies around with no one stopping it that gets to me.

3.) Ignorant Americans
There was a poll out, I can't remember from where, that asked people if they knew who Joe Biden was. Turns out, more people knew who Pauly D from Jersey Shore was than Biden. This sickens me, as these are the same people who are allowed to vote in our society. Walk down the street in any country and randomly ask a person who the president of the United States is. More often than not they will tell you without hesitation that it's Obama. Do this same test in America. Ask any random person who the leader of any random country is and watch the blank stare you get. It's just pure ignorance. The most ignorant of all however is the blind Obama supporters. If you follow politics and you feel comfortable voting for him then more power to you... but if you have no idea what his policies are or what his character is like, you just know he can talk like he knows talking about so you're going to vote for him, you're an idiot. Also the people who voted for him for the simple fact that he's black. Just retarded... and yes, before you start calling me a racist for that statement, there are people who voted for him solely based on color. I have talked firsthand on more than one occasion with people who admit this.

These are just a very few of the reasons I'm ashamed to be an American. There is so much more but it's getting late and I'm tired. Done venting for now. Feel free to reply or debate. I'm not new to the website but I don't usually post so if I don't get back to you it's nothing personal.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Americans dont seem to be the smartest bunch, two words Jersey Shore

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Im ashamed of bieng a human!It isnt only america its every country,every village every tribe.Everyone depends on some form of currency,and that always brings greed and evil...I guess until everything in the world becomes free our race is screwed..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
You're not the first.

You would be surprised at the number of tourists visiting Australia from North America that claim to be from Canada, yet speak with a southern accent.

As to Obama and his influence. I think the opposite.

I think a lot more people(from Australia and Europe anyway) think more of the US since Bush was ousted and Obama got elected in.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'm an American as well, but I am NOT ashamed to be an American. What I am ashamed of is our government and the ignorant people that seem to live here. When I unluckily catch a glimpse of that show American Idol, I can't help but look at the people in the crowd and think "We would be so much better off if those mindless, celebrity obsessed drones didn't exist".

I know people who can name every single person to ever make it to the top 5 in American Idol, but they can't even name the Vice President.

I know people who support Obama and think he is doing a good job as President, but they can't even tell me WHY they think that.

I know people that can sing along to countless Billboard Top 10 songs without missing a word, but can't even get 1/4 the way through the Pledge of Allegiance or the national anthem.

I know people that think the Civil War was fought to free the slaves.

I'm not ashamed to be an American, I am proud of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Dude your country is pretty frigging good. As a Canadian with like 40 fighter jets and a sail boat we know you have our back. I can't see the USA being less than top 3 in humanitarian aid. Sure some people are really dumb but hell ignorance is bliss. I wish I could care more about Pauly D then Harper. I'm pretty sure the countries that don't like the states would be pretty quick to ask for help when the s&@# hits the fan. Just stop stealing our hockey players and Canada will be cool.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well, if your ashamed of being American then you can always feel free to leave. No one is making you stay in the best country in the whole world. Instead of dozing off playing COD on ps3 or whatever game you play be part of the solution. Don't like what's happening in politics? Change it! The American people have a voice, hell we took down the largest empire with pitch forks and rusty muskets. The only thing that has changed is the time, we are living in extraordinary times right now. We the people can change how we are perceived to the rest of the world, get our jobs back, get the crooks out of office and give the Government back to it's people. They serve us and our interests, not the banks, not the war profiteers, us. Learn everything you can about the constitution before they try and ratify it to suit their needs. We can make a change, Are you willing?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
Well, if your ashamed of being American then you can always feel free to leave. No one is making you stay in the best country in the whole world.

That's a good solution. Take the people that see what's wrong with our country today, and send them packing.

Also, that comment about being "the best country in the world" is one of the reasons America is so disliked.

"WE'RE THE BEST IN THE WORLD, # YOU GUYS!!! BEST EVER WOOOO!!!!"

Shut. The. Hell. Up.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta

Well, if your ashamed of being American then you can always feel free to leave. No one is making you stay in the best country in the whole world.

That's a good solution. Take the people that see what's wrong with our country today, and send them packing.

Also, that comment about being "the best country in the world" is one of the reasons America is so disliked.

"WE'RE THE BEST IN THE WORLD, # YOU GUYS!!! BEST EVER WOOOO!!!!"

Shut. The. Hell. Up.

shut the hell up. I see we have quite the tough guy here. Try posting something worth while. I find it funny out of what I wrote you chose that to comment on. Try living in a different country for a while and realize how great America is and just how many things we take for granted. I have, have you?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
In my senior year in high school my civics teacher told us we were the future of America. As I looked around the classroom all I could think was we are in deep guano. That was 1965.

Of course people voted for Obama just because he was black. Don't be stupid. they also voted for him because he wasn't McCain.

How many people do you suppose voted for GWB because they thought it would be neat to have a father and son thing like old John and John Quincy? A fair number I'll wager. And remember how Clintons ratings soared just because he played the saxophone on Leno, or letterman or whoever?

For crying out loud, they voted for Reagan because he had been a pretty boy actor and a shill for laundry soap and the National Association of Manufacturers held him up to us to sell us their corporate agenda. You know as well as I do this list of morons electing morons goes back a lot farther than either you or I can pin point from our own experiences.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Try posting something worth while.

Please take a look at my star-to-post ratio, and karma level. Nearly everything I post on this website is apparently worthwhile.

Try living in a different country for a while and realize how great America is and just how many things we take for granted. I have, have you?

Thank you for yet again demonstrating why Americans are so disliked. You say this as if every country outside America is some kind of third world wasteland. I have not lived in a country outside the U.S., but at least I realize that the majority of the countries on Earth are actually quite civilized.

You say you lived outside the U.S. Where, might I ask? Oh, and living outside the U.S. on a military base doesn't count.
edit on 7/9/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I just want to point out that you said the reason people hate Americans is because we run around bragging about how great our country is, and then, your very next post was, you, bragging about how great you are...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

When I pointed out my star to post ratio and karma level, I was replying to Irish614 that I post things worthwhile on a regular basis.

I wasn't making wild claims that belittle the entire damn planet.
edit on 7/9/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

That's the point I was trying to make. A lot of people don't vote on politics. They vote on how "cool" said person is. How was I being stupid? You proved the point I was making with your reply. It's pure ignorance.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Athin

3.) Ignorant Americans
There was a poll out, I can't remember from where, that asked people if they knew who Joe Biden was. Turns out, more people knew who Pauly D from Jersey Shore was than Biden. This sickens me, as these are the same people who are allowed to vote in our society.

And what's really scary is registered voters are where jury selection comes from. These are the same people who are selected for jury duty.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Athin

I have this blind spot for folk who rail against Obama. My bad. It's not in defense of Obama, but rather a defense against singling him out as a culprit without without the clearer understanding that he is just a spoke in the wheel of this death wagon. For some stupid reason it is important to me that people understand this.

I am not stupid, but I hold to some stupid thoughts. Likewise I do not think you stupid. More I was labeling stupid the the thought processes which bring some to hold Obama solely responsible for our delimia and I threw in that comment hopefully as a warning against doing so.

Thank you for bringing that comment back to me and letting me clarify. Had you come back agressivly the hair on my back might have raised up and tossed me into feuding mode. This is much better. Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Well, let me tell you something. I'm not American. I'm from Europe, small country in Balkan. (It's gettin smaller every day). I'm coming from country where every men could be a politician, because they know solution for every problem in the world. They know every poltician and where they are making mistakes. Here, everybody istalking about politics.
I mean, is this important in life. I would like to have possibility moving to USA and to forget about any men in goverment. Life is about to live it and enjoy it as much as you can.
Is it not enough that some people are managing our life like go to work, go home, sleep, go to work...etc. And when sallary comes, no satisfaction at all. And I am working for a good company. But, our salary is same for almost 7 years. With some 1,5% raise for a year. How much in percents are prices of food, oil, electricity raised yearly?
This is how sounds every day life in rest of the world. And, worst thing is, there is no feel of better tomorrow or feel of power that we can change something. They are to powerfull for us, ordinary people.

So, don't be ashamed "Living in America" (Godfather J. Brown), be proud that your people get to this level of consciousnes that they are not interested in politics and people there.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You're doing better than me man
I'm ashamed to be a human.

after reading responses - looks like I'm not the only one
edit on 9-7-2011 by Forevever because: high five!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I'm sorry but I just can't let it go, I really dislike rude people:

No, you were bragging about how many stars you have because you mistakenly believe that people only star useful posts. What you did was twist what Irish said, and them told him/her to shut the hell up.

Reminding the OP he has the freedom to move to another country is not the same thing "sending him/her packing". Your response might of made sense had Irish said "If you don't like it you can get the hell out" but...that's not what was said.

Then your next excuse for being a total jerk and telling someone to shut the hell up was because Irish believes his homeland is the best country in the world. SOO what? Is that the "wild claim" you were referring to? PLEASE! That's like criticizing someone for saying "I have the best kids in the world" I'm sure many people will agree that American citizens being patriotic, and loving their country has nothing to do with the way other countries view this country.

And further more, I decided to check out a few of your ever so meaningful posts and the first one was a senseless one liner, and here is part of another one:

Actually, I was just thinking. I feel bad for people like this. People that have to measure their self-worth by how much money they have in the bank, how many Facebook friends they have, how popular they are, etc.

I agree with that statement, except you forgot to add ATS stars to your list.
After reading that second post, I felt sorry for you and understand why your so rude. Don't worry buddy I'm sure somewhere under all your asholeyness your probably a pretty decent American...

edit on 9-7-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

I appreciate your post, which is by the way, very ideologically driven. But that's fine with me. However I can assure you, it is not the internal politics that bother foreign nations. The reason that the world hates America is because of the despicable, disgusting, demonic foreign policy. No one cares about your health care program. Stop bombing the world, stop killing innocent people, stop overthrowing democratic regimes, stop lying, behave! Be humane!
edit on 9-7-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join