It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T's ‘You Will’ ad campaign (1993-1994) accurately predicted the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So I came across this compilation of AT&T ads which aired in the early to mid 90's that were known as the "You Will" ads. They basically showcased all of these, which at the time were, commercially non-existant technologies that AT&T proclaimed we will soon see thanks to them. Not sure how many of these technologies AT&T were actually directly (or indirectly) responsible for, but for the exception of just a few of them we have just about every one now. They just about nailed it with this one...

The crazy thing is I remember these commercials like it was yesterday, as I'm sure many of you will too.

Enjoy

edit on 8-7-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
So I came across this compilation of AT&T ads which aired in the early to mid 90's that were known as the "You Will" ads. They basically showcased all of these, which at the time were, non-existant technologies that AT&T proclaimed we will soon see thanks to them. Not sure how many of these technologies AT&T were actually directly (or indirectly) responsible for, but for the exception of just a few of them we have just about every one now. They just about nailed it with this one...

The crazy thing is I remember these commercials like it was yesterday, as I'm sure many of you will too.

Enjoy

edit on 8-7-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

I remember these commercials too and was like wow.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Makes you curious how long a lot of these product have been in the works..I know that with government projects yo normally have like a 20 year cloak of silence on stuff before its released to the public.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I remember those commercials too and how I though those ideas were so far fetched and that none of that stuff was ever going to happen.

Its amazing how far technology has taken us in such a short period of time. 90% of the stuff in those commercial is common tech today. Some of their predictions even look low-tech by modern standards.

I'm sure they were able to make such accurate predictions because they had a hand in the development of all those technologies, otherwise they wouldn't have been making the claim that they would be providing all that to us in the future.

Still, I want to know when those lazy scientists are gonna get around to giving my the flying cars they have been promising us since the Jetson's went on the air.
edit on 7/8/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I don't remeber those commercials, but, yep, kinda scary.

They know what technology was out there and are just weaning it to us.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Still, I want to know when those lazy scientists are gonna get around to giving my the flying cars they have been promising us since the Jetson's went on the air.
edit on 7/8/11 by FortAnthem because:

You mean like this flying car?

www.wired.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/538b93e8ecfd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ANSPHAR

yeah, I'd like to see AT&T put out a new "You Will" ad campaign highlighting the kinds of stuff we'll be seeing in the next 15 to 20 years...

a teleporter would be nice

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Have you ever completely lost your privacy by logging into your computer?
Have you ever been forced through a nude scanning radiation machine or have to face a humiliating pat down?
Have you ever lost your job by posting a comment on your friend's "wall"?
You Will...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I got a little laugh out of the "Have you ever gotten a phone call... from your wrist?" while the guy answers a phone call on his wrist watch...

Instead, we put the wrist watch on the phone.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Oh, I remember. I assumed at the time, the tech already existed, just not released. I believe I may have been right.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

That is so creepy and cool at the same time. I wonder what the same sort of commercial would be like today?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I don't see how this can be so surprising.
Much of that technology may be commonplace today but no doubt took years to develop. It didn't just spring up over night. Often times the ideas exist for many years before the technology develops enough to make that idea reality, in fact it sometimes is the ideas themselves that spur on the development of the technology.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Welcome to the New World Order.

Won't be long now.

Remember when you didn't need a verichip to prove who you are ?

Remember how you didn't need cash to purchase a product ?

remember when you didn't need a TSA hand pat to fly ?

You will... and TPTB will bring it to you.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Wow. I remember those commercials, too.

Did you catch the one clip with the kids programming in a movie ON A Flat Screen tv?

I wonder how long it will be until our kids classrooms will become virtual classrooms and all the schools are obsolete.

The personal medical records on a chip seems like our next step in the scheme of things. It reminds me of asomething I read about how in the future doctors appt. will be a thing of the past. Somethings to do with toilets that analyze your "business" and alert you to any medical concerns and the results go directly to your virtual doctor for further treatment plans.

Both wondrous and scary at the same time.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The funny thing about this wondrous technology is that I'm so used to having it, that it seems as though I've always had it. So those commercials now seem super weird because I realize just how little technology I used back then.

Really the only technology we used as a household while those commercials aired was a tube based TV, a stereo system with cd player and dual tape deck and a computer with Windows 3.1, it's insane. Now I find myself getting angry when Netflix is down because I can't watch exactly what I want at that moment.

We are in for a rude awakening if solar flares really do end up messing with our technology.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It would be nice to see what they're planning. However, the AT&T then and today is an entirely different company (AT&T then was AT&T; today AT&T is SBC but they chose to keep the name AT&T because it was more widely recognized). In case you did not know.

top topics

join