It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aleister Crowley died in my town and CURSED IT. (According to legend)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca997219009e.jpg[/atsimg]

Wikipedia Aleister Crowley ( /ˈkroʊli/; 12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947), born Edward Alexander Crowley, and also known as both Frater Perdurabo and The Great Beast, was an influential English occultist, astrologer, mystic and ceremonial magician, responsible for founding the religious philosophy of Thelema. He was also successful in various other fields, including mountaineering, chess and poetry. In his role as the founder of the Thelemite philosophy, he came to see himself as the prophet who was entrusted with informing humanity that it was entering the new Aeon of Horus in the early twentieth century.

Aleister Crowley.. Renown occultist, philosopher and author died in my town.
I live in Hastings - East sussex. A very strange seaside town with a strange atmosphere.
There is an extreme amount of mentally ill and deranged people in this town.
Alongside a mass of hard drug addicts and alcoholics. This results in a lot of violence.

There is a well known legend in this town which claims that Aleister Crowley cursed Hastings.
Apparently this curse means that anyone who has ever lived here will always live here.
Funnily enough there does seem to be a real problem when it comes to people completely shaking this town out of their system. The town itself is an economic hell hole and the people that live here are even worse. I know everyone complains about their town but people who live in Hastings are often very distressed and depressed about it. Most people who decide to move away move back pretty soon and I honestly can't think of more than one or two cases I know of where someone has moved away permanently.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/071345d54387.jpg[/atsimg]

(The hat is pretty creepy huh?)

Anyway, here is an except from an article in our local newspaper the 'Hastings observer' 2005.

Source They said that the Crowley curse was that if you lived in Hastings you could never leave; if you tried you'd always come back. Crowley wasn't the only heroin addict to wind up there. To this day, Reu believes the place has a higher than average murder rate. Remember Billie-Jo Jenkins, murdered in Lower Park Road in 1997? Or the teenager who killed a retired vicar in 2001 and left his dismembered body behind the Summerfield Leisure Centre? In the Eighties, when the British stopped taking their holidays at home, the guesthouses filled with the unemployed and the mentally ill.

What really intrigued me was that this guy Reu who actually has managed so far not to move back to Hastings believes there to be a higher than average murder rate in the town. I researched the crime statistics of our town here and the results are quite shocking to say the least. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09b07459c8cb.jpg[/atsimg]

Source The number of violent crimes per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average. The number of sexual offences per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average. The number of robberies per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average. The number of burglaries per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average. The number of thefts of motor vehicles per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average. The number of thefts from motor vehicles per 1000 population in this postcode district is greater than both the county and national average.

This is a very strange town with some very strange and volatile people. The vibe is menacing for those who live here and the amount of social disruption, arguments, fighting and crime is at quite a disturbing level. For those who have read/seen and understood the book/film 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas' there are some very bad vibrations in this town. But has Aleister Crowley cursed this town? My guess is probably not.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/410eb8f582bc.jpg[/atsimg]

But I think he may well have left some sort of imprint if you dig that kind of thing.

TechUnique

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yeah Hastings, and Lewes

Lewes is full of witches apparently

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just sell your home, pack your things, and move. Why is that so hard?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I don't know?
But when you live here it evidently is.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

If you understood the most basic tenets of Thelema you would understand that this thread is moot. AC has and continues to be wrongfully vilified based on the old prevailing beliefs about him. He espoused a philosophy that as long as you follow your own true will and not interfere with the will of others, a harmonious coexistence would follow.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedSnapper

If you understood the most basic tenets of Thelema you would understand that this thread is moot. AC has and continues to be wrongfully vilified based on the old prevailing beliefs about him. He espoused a philosophy that as long as you follow your own true will and not interfere with the will of others, a harmonious coexistence would follow.

I don't make any bold claims in this thread.
I merely present you with a legend, which I made clear was a legend.
Then provided some statistics.
The only conclusions I've drawn are that this is a weird town with weird people.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
crowley was a kook, imo

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Since Crowley seems to have gone there (Hastings) to die as a drug addict himself one might be led to believe that The Curse of Hastings predated Crowley's death there.

Did you know that his alleged last words were; "I am perplexed"?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ranked 333 out of 337 districts. Thats weird.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
He was cremated in Brighton doh !

Crowley is cremated in Brighton. Among the persons present were Gilbert Bayley, who knew Mudd and frater Achad,Sorores Tzaba and Ilyarun, Gerald Yorke, Kenneth Grant and his old friend Louis Wilkinson who read 'Hymn To Pan', the 'Collects and Anthems' from

The Brighton Council afterwards delivered a protest in regards to the contents of the Last Ritual: "We shall take all necessary steps to prevent such an incident occuring again".

Hope this means he didn't curse us too.

Might explain why I feel I can never leave lol.

I remember there used to be an Alistair Crowley cafe on London Road, strange place, never ventured in.

edit on 8-7-2011 by solargeddon because: Got my facts n a twist lol

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Ranked 333

The number of Choronzon!

Isn't Hastings in East Anglia?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Oops, why did he die in Hastings, to be cremated in Brighton then ?

Is that a little unusual ?

I

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Yes, Died in a boarding house in Hastings and was cremated in Brighton.

I don't think it is unusual and if we got in to it we would probably find that it had to do with expenses.

An alternative report of Crowley's last words is that he actually said; "Sometimes I hate myself".

I am telling you it is Hastings and not Crowley. They already had a boarding house ready to go for him.

Does anyone know if Hastings is considered part of East Anglia?

edit on 8-7-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Ranked 333

The number of Choronzon!

Isn't Hastings in East Anglia?

Hastings is in East sussex as far as I am aware..
I should probably know seeing as I live here.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RedSnapper

Actually you are wrong. Crowley never stated that "one must never interfere with the will of others", this was stated by his followers after his death. I challenge you to find me any writing of his published when he was alive that says these words exactly.

I believe that Crowley was a truly "gray mage". He was not truly evil, but he did not believe in true evil either. Neither do I as a practitioner of the "Great Art".

Crowley began to preach and follow the "Path of Icarus" that is why the Golden Dawn was destroyed. He taught people who would knowingly do harm to others how to practice the power of will and become greater than God (the belief in becoming greater than God is a result of the dominating ego). He also attempted to create a dogma around himself, this was wrong and his ego betrayed him in the end. In the last years of his life I think he knew he failed, because he had perverted the greatest forms of enlightened philosophy which had been passed down for centuries, Love, Peace, and Compassion.

If you have found peace and God (I use the word God loosely) through his words I encourage you to continue. He was a very enlightened man, however enlightenment does not necessarily mean you will become a Jesus like being. You could also end up like Lucifer who became obsessed with his ego because of the knowledge he possessed.

Knowledge is inherently gray.

To the OP

Well your town is cursed. In a way.

Because of Crowley's death there, an influx of people who follow his practice of Thelema or others who practice a form of the "Great Art" moving there would not be surprising. Drug addicts and drunks would be among them. Crowley was both. The power of will is very mysterious and not always good.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

OK. I ask because, although I know nothing about Sussex, East Anglia is so weird we know about it all the way out here in California.

It sounds a little like you live in Lovecraft's Innsmouth.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

There is a well known legend in this town which claims that Aleister Crowley cursed Hastings.
Apparently this curse means that anyone who has ever lived here will always live here.

Well in the late 80's I lived and worked at Hastings youth hostel on Rye Rd., I had no trouble leaving, in fact I could not get out of there fast enough lol. I jumped at the chance to go run the Telscombe hostel. I have never been back to Hastings.

The only good thing about that place was visiting Macca's windmill.

edit on 7/8/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

East Anglia is weird ?

Lol first I've heard of it, I used to go there a lot as a kid to Pontins, don't remember any weirdness, perhaps you could enlighten me, I didn't even think it was that well known in this country, let alone California lol

On cremation, I found this...

Aleister Crowley was cremated in Brighton cemetery after Hastings Borough Council refused his burial on The Ridge. His ashes were later shipped to the USA and were buried next to a tree in Hampton, New Jersey on the property of Karl Germer (Crowley's successor to OHO).

Mystery solved

edit on 8-7-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
aah mr. crowley doom , doom. doom,

i felt it to be appropriate seeing the mans name.
enjoy

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

I vill not bore you with too many details; but the Witch trials of Essex took place in East Anglia. East Anglia is the likely origin for the 'Folkways' (witchcraft) imported to America in the 16th and 17th century. Trust me, I know, you live in a place and you never realize what is going on there, or what others think is going on there.

But Google something like 'East Anglia and Witchcraft' and see what happens. East Anglia is where the 'cunning folk' come from.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join