It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why bi-partisanship is so important to the survival of our country.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
reply to post by beezzer

I'm totally with you on this one. When you have polarization, you have different views and you expand on your options. Very simply, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
So many Americans have vastly different incomes, views on social matters etc.... that there's just no way that everyone's voice could be heard if ther'e wasn't different political backdrops.

The problem is that this is a representative republic, and once our leaders are in place they do whatever suits their own agenda. It's really quite sad. I for one would love for most issues to be handed to the people to vote on. I think as a nation we can think on our own. True majority rule.

You may have a valid point. Opinions need to ne heard, regardless of their outcome.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Provided that Jesus stays out of the equation, government will always do better by listening to the people. After all, the businessman has a very different idea of what this country needs as opposed to the union man.

I believe that there always is a happy medium though on most issues. It requires a marriage like give and take. It also requires a level of respect for the other side's way and view of life. When religion is put into the equation, it becomes black and white and there's no room for creativity or rational thought.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
When religion is put into the equation, it becomes black and white and there's no room for creativity or rational thought.

I don't believe that at all. I think a religious person can make just as creative and rational decisions as anyone else. Being religious does not make everything black or white either....there are middle grounds in everything. Having a strong belief systems that guides you and sets your morals is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Obviously there are exceptions...but I don't think keeping religion completely out of the picture is any smarter than basing everything solely on religion.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
My view is Republicans in office today are just interested in taking Obama down, and are not looking for out for what's right or good for most of the citizens of this country.

My big problem is why not just let Obama do what he originally campaigned on and see what the results are? If they're bad, then let's look for another solution. The Republicans MO has been to stonewall everything and then blame Obama and the Democrats for nothing getting done. How is that a good thing? Obama is part of the problem because he's simply not standing up enough for what he campaigned on, IMO, and another problem is Democrats not standing up either. "Obamacare" is a mess because in the end it's just another compromise that won't be as effective as it otherwise could be.

The two party system is a scam at this point and Obama's presidency so far has just reinforced that belief in my view. I mean, what is really getting done for the majority of the people in this country? And it sure wouldn't be any better if a Republican was in office (worse, IMO). America is truly run by corporations, lobbyists and corporate politicians and how anyone can disagree with that is really baffling, IMO.

At least the Republicans aren't shy about it, although people keep voting for them for some reason!

We really need a new political system. It's been said a thousand times, and needs to be said again and again and again...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Unfortunately, we have the appearance of bi-partisanship, without its benefits. Our present governing body IMHO, is something akin to an oligarchy with actors that rival Hollywoods best. The only genuine debate among them is not if, but how, they are going to screw the American people next.

And why should they be any different. No one is going to hold them accountable.

edit on 7/8/2011 by Apokalypsis because: subtraction - clarity

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I don't mean to bash religion. I'm a person of faith myself actually. I just don;t see where it does any good for legislature. When you start to bring in religion things do become entirely too personal and emotional. Look at Bachmann's husband. Instead of being a man of faith and having a personal relationship with God, he has to tell people that gays are barbarians. Michelle herself says she hears God speaking to her literally! I'm sorry, but I do not want my Commander in Chief receiving messages about how to Govern from God. It's quite scary if you really think about it. I feel religion should remain a personal issue and that laws should never reflect ones religion. We are all mature enough to know right from wrong and what all religions teach at their core. Jesus need not be brought up. That and it creates conflicts within a nation of hundreds of religions. Why would any president's religion matter more than the Pagan in Idaho? This country never was, isn't and never should be a Christian nation. A nation with Christians in it does not make it a Christian nation.
edit on 9-7-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You misunderstand opr mayeb I didn t expalin what I was trying to say. And this is something i heard at a tea part meeeting of "how do we beat them" this language compeletly turns me off. It is this war like language against your own countrymen though just because they have a different idea.

More so if we had multiple parties I see it as not as us vs them type of thing i see it as our American system was mad efor checks and balances. with the two party system there are no checks and balances. they aren;t. People are use fear mongering or toher tactics to ge t people straigtjackected into voting for one party. I see it if we had multiple parties we could keep politicians working hard instead of playing the game.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join