It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I am not qualified', CIA choice told 9/11 film maker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have to wounder why a person would take such a demanding job if they where, in there own words, �not qualified�
I suppose Mr. Goss does not plan on staying to long, maybe he�s about to become a fall guy? ( just thinking out loud) and why would he tell Moores people?

'I am not qualified', CIA choice told 9/11 film maker

THE US congressman Porter Goss, President George Bush�s nominee for CIA director, could be his own worst enemy when it comes to making the case that he should lead the US intelligence agency.

"I couldn�t get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified," the Florida Republican told the production company of the filmmaker Michael Moore during the filming of the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 Moore released an excerpt from a 3 March interview, more

Analysis: CIA dismay at Porter Goss' nomination as DCIA
By Richard Sale

During an announcement made in the White House Rose Garden, Bush described Goss, 65, a Florida Republican as "the right man with strong experience in intelligence and in fighting against terrorism."

This was immediately disputed by two former senior agents.

"When was he in the CIA?" asked former top CIA Iraq analyst Judith Yaphe of Goss's agency career.

When told that Goss had been a case officer from the mid-1960s until 1971, dealing with Latin America, Yaphe said: "But that is so long ago. It's not as if the cultures at the agency now were anywhere near what they were back then. I would worry about his genuine depth of knowledge."

Former CIA Counter-terrorism Chief Vince Cannistraro agreed: "Goss has never been very distinguished, but he's protected. He's a Bush loyalist and has been in the forefront of those who have tried to place the major blame for the 9/11 attacks on the agency."
more

[edit on 12-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I can confirm this. I just saw this on CNN. Once again it's CNN (a world wide media source) so it's not coming from an internet source.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread was exactly under yours.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
"This is Stansfield Turner. Let me lay out my basic thoughts on the nomination of Porter Goss to be Director of Central Intelligence:

1. This is an irresponsible act on the part of the President because it is motivated by partisan political, electoral purposes

2. Porter Goss has many qualifications for being DCI. He has one overriding disqualification. That is that he is a very partisan, political person.

3. This administration has already jeopardized the public's view of the credibility of our intelligence by its misuse of intelligence on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq."

Admiral Stansfield Turner, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Someone show me where he said this to someone other than
Michael Moore or his company. Sorry, but ANYTHING the
buffoon says, I won't believe. It's too bad because this
could be true, and Michael Moore has pumped out so much
that isn't true, he can't be trusted as a source.

If he really did say it, and he said it fairly recently, then his
nomination needs to be withdrawn immediately.

I disagree with those who say the position shouldn't be
filled right now. It needs to be filled ... election or not.
Continue with life and get things done ...

[edit on 8/12/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

FlyersFan:

I doubt very much he said it to anyone else as it was an interview by Mr. Moores people
But that said you might find below interesting, if Bush says jump will Goss say how high?

The Globe and Mail

Quoted out of context:

Porter Goss and the CIA

Congressman Porter J. Goss, chairman of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee and now President George W. Bush's nominee to head the Central Intelligence Agency, is a spy's spy. And he has been frankly critical of the agency's egregious recent failings. Taken together, that should make him an ideal candidate for the job.
It doesn't. The reason is politics and the particular nature of the crisis facing U.S. intelligence.
Therein lies the trouble with Mr. Goss. Unlike his immediate predecessor and every other past CIA director save one -- George Bush Sr. -- Mr. Goss is a politician, an openly partisan, stalwart member of the Florida GOP. In early June, he participated in a conference call between Mr. Bush and Vice-President Dick Cheney and the media to criticize Mr. Kerry's opening national-security speech. He has made no secret of his backing of the Bush administration's foreign policy. Indeed, he has claimed successes for Mr. Bush's North Korea policy that do not exist. During Mr. Bush's time in office, North Korea is believed to have become a nuclear power.
more

From the BBC

Quoted out of context

Profile: Porter Goss

His CIA background and experience on the intelligence committee made him a favourite to succeed George Tenet as CIA director, although some Democrats had indicated they would not support a partisan nominee.
They are urging Senate minority leader Tom Daschle to prepare for extensive confirmation hearings.
However, some analysts say this will allow the Republicans to highlight CIA shortcomings over Iraq, shifting the focus from the president as the election nears.
Reformer
Critics of Mr Goss, 65, say he is under the spell of Vice-President Dick Cheney and that his presence on the joint 9/11 inquiry gave the administration a deal of protection.
They fear his closeness to the White House will mean the CIA directorship will become fully politicised.
Mr Bush said in his speech that Mr Goss was a reformer and would bring that approach to the CIA.
more

Porter Goss home page

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I think a big part of it, is that he really didnt know who they would be looking for at the time. His personal resume vs. what he thought they would be looking for in a CIA director are two different things. Obvioulsly, if he felt that he couldnt hack it he would hopefully have the balls to reject the offer.

Moore has a tendency to skew anything anyone says and misrepresnt the statement. This seems to be one of those cases.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Directing the CIA, and being a field officer today, are two TOTALLY different jobs.

Here's an example. I'm qualified to manage the guys under me, I'm an administrator. However, I couldn't do the technical work they can. Nor could they do my job.

From the sound of it, Goss is stating that he wouldn't qualify today to be a field officer, and that's likely so, but it doesn't make him less fit for Director.

His qualifications appear to be there, but I'm no fan of spooks who then turn to politics...i.e. Bush Sr.

I'd rather have seen a current, and recently experienced case officer get promoted though, than see an old hat come back.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
From the quote, it sounds like he is saying that he doesn�t posses the skills to become a case officer in the CIA today. He may not have the required education and language abilities required for employment. The requirements for a case officer were probably much different when he was working there.

That doesn�t immediately discredit his ability to lead the agency.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I don't know if you've seen it or heard it yet, but the video is HERE on MM's site.

On Tuesday, August 10th, 2004, George W. Bush nominated Florida Rep. Porter Goss to head the Central Intelligence Agency.

Rep. Porter Goss, appeared briefly in Michael Moore's 'Fahrenheit 9/11.' But part of his March 3, 2004 interview for the movie, which did not make it into the film, has suddenly taken on major significance. The following is an excerpt from the interview:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - Florida Rep. Porter Goss had some explaining to do. No, he acknowledged, it was hardly his finest moment when he said he needed a "a blue dress and some DNA" - a reference to former President Clinton's sex scandal - before he would investigate the outing of a CIA agent by someone in the Bush administration.

And as the U.S. senators listened intently, Goss, R-Sanibel, insisted he was only kidding when he called the Senate investigation into prison abuses in Iraq "a circus."

And he no longer supports his own proposal to allow the CIA to arrest U.S. citizens on American soil.

On the opening day of hearings on Goss' nomination as head of the Central Intelligence Agency, Senate Democrats used his past statements and proposals to question his political independence and his commitment to reforming the intelligence system.

St. Petersburg Times

I'm beginning to think maybe this guy isn't the best guy for the job.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'm beginning to think maybe this guy isn't the best guy for the job.

(When Goss demurred on the question of whether the Bush administration abused intelligence to make the case for war with Iraq, Sen. Richard J. Durbin, D-Ill., said, "The fact that you reserve judgment when this conversation gets close to criticism of this administration continues to trouble me.")link

this man puzzles me, I guess I�ll just sit back and watch, IMO I think he is a Bu# lacky, but time will tell

new topics

top topics

join