It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now even dead animals can be cloned!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
If you have lost a loved pet recently, it might just be possible, in the not to distant future, to have it come back to life, via this new process of freezing and thawing.

A research team at Jeju National University led by Professor Park Se-pill and Mirae Biotech announced over the weekend that they succeeded in developing a new freeze-and-thaw technology that allows mass cloning of animals even after their death

The cloned cow was born in October last year. The researchers said that DNA testing showed that the newly born cow has the same genetic blueprint as the original dead cow. "Producing cloned embryos is hard, and what we had needed in order to enable the commercialization of cloned embryos production at times whenever we want was the establishment of the freezing- and-thawing technology. This time, we solved what had been the biggest obstacle,"said Park Se-pill.

Source

The thing is though, some people still question the morality of cloning. Is it a moral issue, or just an advance in technology and science?

And if it is even a moral issue, what would be the basis for this.?

vvv

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

bring back extinct animals would be my guess. I'm just happy i cannot be cloned apparently only positive blood types can be cloned! My blood type is the rarest only 1 percent of the population has it AB-.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Pet Dinosaur anyone?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'd love to hear a single valid reason why cloning a human being is right..

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ObvTruth

Yes Steven Spielberg I'm ok on the whole pet anything thats been cloned i find it odd that a goat was the first thing cloned or was it a sheep? I forget
edit on 6-7-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Me to mate, and this is part of the reason for this thread, to invoke the question about the morality of cloning, be it on animals or humans.

vvv

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Ok so man kind gets this virus right and until there's a vaccine people are cloned.
i think i have seen that in a movie

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

bring back extinct animals would be my guess. I'm just happy i cannot be cloned apparently only positive blood types can be cloned! My blood type is the rarest only 1 percent of the population has it AB-.

Interesting.. I Never knew that.. Got me thinking though.. Why not? There must be a scientific explanation for that..

I know it's a little of topic but numerous abduction reports I've read have stated the abductee was of a rare blood type.. Looks like you screwed mate if aliens actually do exsist and these things happen

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Me to mate, and this is part of the reason for this thread, to invoke the question about the morality of cloning, be it on animals or humans.

vvv

I was on the same line of thinking as you two until very recently.
I have only just lost my beloved german shephard dog of 11 years to a very aggressive cancer, and I would replace him in a heartbeat.
I know that morally it is wrong. He had lived his life, albeit shorter than what it should have been. But selfishly, I want him back.
I am sure others in a similar situation who have lost a loved one, not just a pet, feel the same way.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
not new at all been around for 15 years atleast

wonder if they would do this for space exploration?
edit on 6-7-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jamesthegreat

Sorry to hear about your lost mate.

I know that morally it is wrong. He had lived his life, albeit shorter than what it should have been. But selfishly, I want him back.

The thing here is though, is he going to live his past life again, or will it be a new life?
The question of morality i would venture is one of perspectives.

vvv

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

There are many, but first understand one isn't cloning the life's experiences of a person, one is creating a new unique life from the signature of a person like a mother has a child, ready for their own life's experiences to develop. Cloning organs can save the life of the donor with an inoperable failed organ. One doesn't have to clone the entire human, and that's where issues of cloning get exaggerated into moral issues. Even if one clones an entire person I don't understand where a moral issue comes into the discussion. Think of cloning the skin of a burn victim instead of grafting skin from other parts of the person's epidermis, fresh new skin from the donor.

The researchers transplanted somatic nuclei from a dead cow into eggs to create embryos through in vitro fertilization. Then, they froze the embryos at minus 196 degrees Celsius, and had kept them for three years before thawing and implanting them into the womb of a surrogate mother last January for the delivery of a baby cow through natural birth.

So this is nothing more than a test tube baby, with the DNA blueprint of a donor, developing into a unique life like all other babies, in a living egg in a living surrogate mother. It's not 'Bob-2' with any past life experiences embedded into its memory.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Genetically he will be the same, and still have the same genetic diseases. But being prepared for them would have been better than what my wife and I are going through.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Never had an alien encounter yet but i have known people i trust who have. Also i wasn't always ab- when i was younger it was O+. I still have the card my mother got from the hospital when i was like 7 when i joined the military my blood type was posted ab- i had it tested again ab-. I did have an out of body experience when i was 15. Sorry for derailing this thread with my self OP. No there is no moral reason to it even with organs. What happens when someone cant pay for the operation + organ? Would you replace a brain? Its not our place

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I never for one moment thought that a cloned human will live the persons life and experiences.. I'm pretty aware that it would be a new life.. But what gives anyone the right to manufacture human beings? Like we are some sort of product? What are the implications to the human who has been cloned? Above all, What gives us the right to play god?

In a sense we already manafacture humans through child birth but it is a natural process which is essential for our species..

And you talk about organs.. Now growing organs and cloning humans are 2 completely different things.. Unless your talking about cloning humans and then taking their organs.. Again morally wrong..

I still see no valid reason why cloning is right..

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

Never had an alien encounter yet but i have known people i trust who have. Also i wasn't always ab- when i was younger it was O+. I still have the card my mother got from the hospital when i was like 7 when i joined the military my blood type was posted ab- i had it tested again ab-. I did have an out of body experience when i was 15. Sorry for derailing this thread with my self OP. No there is no moral reason to it even with organs. What happens when someone cant pay for the operation + organ? Would you replace a brain? Its not our place

Also sorry to derail.. But that's crazy I wasn't aware your blood type could change either..
Doesn't seem logical to me but I'm not a scientist or doctor... Have you ever actually done any research or looked into it?

I'm not questioning you personally, I only say that because if it can't, maybe there is something more going in with you.. Especially as you've already had an obe.. Although if it is possible we can just move on and I'll facepalm myself..

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There are dangers with cloning as with any unexplored science. It's not so much trying to play god as trying to further understand how things work and finding ways it can be used.

Someone already said before that cloning would have its greatest impact in orgran transplantation. The human body has some pretty random reactions to transplants and there's always chances of rejection. If you could grow a cloned organ, it wouldn't be a transplant so much as a replacement. It's your organ, but brand new, and with little to no chance that your body would reject it.

Cloning already exists in nature in the form of twins, so we're just trying to see if we can duplicate the process. There definitely should be strong restrictions place on its use for the future of course.

One reason why one may or may not be considered clone-able based on their blood type is due to the method that we currently incubate with. They would have to find a surrogate mother with a blood type that is compatable. So if you have an extremely rare blood type that is one that is only compatable with itself...well, while not 'impossible' it's highly impractical.

As far as your blood type changing...I'd think it probably more-likely that they made a mistake of some kind when you were younger. I can't say it's impossible personally, but it seems extremely unlikely for the body to be able to go from O+ to AB-. Especially since those types aren't compatable in the slightest. If true, however, you got something you should get heavily researched.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
They have had the ability to do this for over a decade. My alma mater has been cloning deceased pets for many years. Here is a article about a cloned cat that recently had it's 10th birthday:

HOUSTON -- Whatever happened to CC, the world's first cloned cat?

It seems like only yesterday CC's baby pictures were being flashed around the world as Texas A&M University researchers presented their scientific triumph to the media.

Almost 10 years later CC, aka Copy Cat, is still in the College Station area.

www.theeagle.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon
There are dangers with cloning as with any unexplored science. It's not so much trying to play god as trying to further understand how things work and finding ways it can be used.

Someone already said before that cloning would have its greatest impact in orgran transplantation. The human body has some pretty random reactions to transplants and there's always chances of rejection. If you could grow a cloned organ, it wouldn't be a transplant so much as a replacement. It's your organ, but brand new, and with little to no chance that your body would reject it.

Cloning already exists in nature in the form of twins, so we're just trying to see if we can duplicate the process. There definitely should be strong restrictions place on its use for the future of course.

One reason why one may or may not be considered clone-able based on their blood type is due to the method that we currently incubate with. They would have to find a surrogate mother with a blood type that is compatable. So if you have an extremely rare blood type that is one that is only compatable with itself...well, while not 'impossible' it's highly impractical.

As far as your blood type changing...I'd think it probably more-likely that they made a mistake of some kind when you were younger. I can't say it's impossible personally, but it seems extremely unlikely for the body to be able to go from O+ to AB-. Especially since those types aren't compatable in the slightest. If true, however, you got something you should get heavily researched.
Thinking the same thing. I hate needles though
and dont want to become some half asses science experiment if by some freaken chance it did change.

top topics

join