It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tries to stop execution in Texas of Mexican killer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
A Mexican in San Antonio raped and murdered a young American girl, was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death. But Barack Obama wants to have Congress pass a law to prevent the murderer from being executed. He contends that it would cause "irreparable harm" to US interests abroad.

Obama tries to stop execution in Texas of Mexican killer

US president warns Texan authorities that execution would put America in breach of international legal obligations

President Barack Obama has asked the Texan authorities not to execute the convicted rapist and murderer Humberto Leal Garcia.

President Barack Obama is attempting to block the execution in Texas on Thursday of a Mexican man because it would breach an international convention and do "irreparable harm" to US interests, citing international law:.

The White House has asked the US supreme court to put the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia on hold while Congress passes a law that would prevent the convicted rapist and murderer from being put to death along with dozens of other foreign nationals who were denied proper access to diplomatic representation before trials for capital crimes.

The administration moved after the governor of Texas, Rick Perry, brushed aside appeals from diplomats, top judges, senior military officers, the United Nations and former president George W Bush to stay Leal's execution because it could jeopardise American citizens arrested abroad as well as US diplomatic interests.

Leal, 38, was convicted in 1994 of the rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl in San Antonio. Few question that he was responsible for the killing but the Texas authorities failed to tell Leal, who was born in Mexico and has lived in the US since the age of two, that under the Vienna convention he was entitled to contact the Mexican consulate when he was arrested.

Obama

International law? Now we have to cede our control of our state laws to the UN?

This guy has go to go.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Already posted.

Quite a good debate on it actually.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.. Obama tries to stop the execution of a fellow human being, and he's the bad guy for it? Wow, this guy simply can't win can he.

My view of this is simple and It's as follows: Punish the criminal, but don't stoop to his level which was murder in the first place. Two wrongs don't, and never will, make a right.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Thanks. I missed it with search. Which forum?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It has foreign policy implications way beyond the scope of this case.

This is why the President is involved as that's his responsiblity.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

So let me get this straight.. Obama tries to stop the execution of a fellow human being, and he's the bad guy for it? Wow, this guy simply can't win can he.

Oh, hell yeah. The rapist should be kiled twice, if possible.

My view of this is simple and It's as follows: Punish the criminal, but don't stoop to his level which was murder in the first place. Two wrongs don't, and never will, make a right.

You've never been involved in a murder case. Your view is your right, but it is wrong. Scum should be eliminated.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

It has foreign policy implications way beyond the scope of this case.

This is why the President is involved as that's his responsiblity.

Yes, but that does not mean we should give up our sovereignty to the UN.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The administration moved after the governor of Texas, Rick Perry, brushed aside appeals from diplomats, top judges, senior military officers, the United Nations and former president George W Bush to stay Leal's execution because it could jeopardise American citizens arrested abroad as well as US diplomatic interests.

obama is protecting americans who live overseas from being denied the same rights this man was denied.

I wonder how this story would play out here if it was an american who did this to a mexican and was denied his rights ?

c'mon people, don't read a headline and jump off the cliff

think

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Hey again Mishigas,

Thanks for at least respecting my opinion here, and It's one I still strongly hold onto as I post this here and now. Reason being, I fully understand the individual in question here did something wrong and absolutely despicable and no one can, or ever will be able to defend his actions.. but what I can't understand is how someone can be so utterly disgusted at the fact he murdered an individual, but be so in support for essentially his own murder as well.

It seems slightly hypocritical from where I'm at is all. After all, does it really make sense to you to be disgusted at a human being for doing to someone else the very thing we're so in support of doing to him, which is murder? It doesn't make much sense to me, admittedly.

Please don't get me wrong though. I believe he should be punished severely, but I also believe we're at a stage in our evolution which is a little bit more advanced than the "Oh, let's just kill him" attitude. I thought we were better than this. Much better..

Now, I know you're going to disagree here and quite frankly I don't mind. We're all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions and I'm appreciative of the fact we can share them like adults here but no, sorry, I just can't ever support the murder of any human being, criminal or not. IMO, Obama's in the right here.

I hope the "Mexican killer" spends a great deal of time reflecting over what he's done too, this will be a much worse punishment than ending his life altogether.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Can say the same about OBL

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind indeed.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Its a local issue, so im not sure what Obama thinks he can do. Secondly, since Congress cant pass any defacto laws, I dont see how congressional legislation would work in this case either.

As far as the death penalty - thats a debate in and of itself for sure. But the thought that it will act as a deterent to people who come from countries whose due process is a lot less dainty than ours says a lot.

I for one would liek to see the FEderal Government actually charged as an accessory to the firls rape and murder for failing to enforce immigration laws, or hold states / cities responsible for acting as sanctuaries (hint hint San Francisco).

By failing to enforce the laws that let these people in the country in the first place should be taken into account when illegals commit crimes on American soil.

Can the death penalty act as a deternt? It doesnt seem to when people decide to commit murder, knowing full well they end result could be a needle in their arm.

Then again if the ACLU has not turned our prison / jail system into a state / federal day camp with all expenses paid we might not be where we are now. Those who are convicted are to serve their debt to society, not run up the debt on society.

Lack of enforcement, selected prosecution, the ACLU representing any intrest that runs counter to the US.. Doesnt exactly deter does it...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join