It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran police officer fired after 'hurling military-style tear gas grenade at amputees during Texa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Veteran police officer fired after 'hurling military-style tear gas grenade at amputees during Texas cook-off'

www.dailymail.co.uk

A police officer has been fired after allegedly losing his temper at a cook-off and throwing a tear gas grenade at a rival team - many of whom were military amputees.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7/5/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What was going through this guys head that made him think there would be no repercussions for this? What a jerk. Just another case of police overstepping boundaries and not living by the laws they are sworn to protect.
At least he was fired for this. I'm tired of police going way out of line and then nothing coming from it.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Seems like a perfectly rational and measured response relatively speaking.
One would expect an angry cop to have started shooting people.

I wonder what would have happened to some kid who did a similar thing as a prank.
Charged with assault? Vandalism? Act of terrorism?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hahhaha thank you for that

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Wow,,thats a prime example of a police officer not being able to handle his emotions...

And this is NOT the type of person you want out on the street enforcing law, because he has serious temper issues, and its cops like this who lose it on the job, and take whatever actions they see fit at the time.

It had to take him doing this to other veterans though for some action to finally take place....how sad...he obviously had anger issues before this incident,and I wonder what damage he caused to the general public without ever being called out on it.

edit on 5-7-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Roid Rage. LEO's need regular testing for steroid use.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I actually don't have a problem with this in the context given. If someone was hurt, he deserves to be punished...

You can't tell me that a former soldier who was exposed to gas multiple times in the course of an enlistment would find this to be anything more than a hilarious prank.

I've had my fun with tasers, CS gas and paintball guns in the military, among other things. I've had fun with these types of pranks CONUS and OCONUS.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that because they are amputees, that only makes the joke more fun because of the cluster of wheelchairs trying to exit the area, that was most likely grassy. Either way, don't put on your 'outrage face' just yet, even amputees are pranked on. Don't worry either, I'm not trying to be PC on this one.
edit on 2011/7/5 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
good screw em idiot cops. now he can get a job patrolling walmart

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Now, I know that it must be one hell of a thing to police a neighborhood for thirty years, and that that much pressure to stay focused and straight laced must be a real drain... But if you are going to go postal, then why the hell do it in the most utterly inappropriate place, at the least oppertune moment, and toward the least offensive target you could possibly imagine?
What motivates a person to loose thier brain, not at drug dealers, or gun runners (all of whom would be great targets for a clear out weapon) but military amputees, at a cooking contest? I can understand a man cracking under the weight of duty, but not if he isnt actualy ON duty at the time, the blithering weakling.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
I actually don't have a problem with this in the context given. If someone was hurt, he deserves to be punished...

You can't tell me that a former soldier who was exposed to gas multiple times in the course of an enlistment would find this to be anything more than a hilarious prank.

I've had my fun with tasers, CS gas and paintball guns in the military, among other things. I've had fun with these types of pranks CONUS and OCONUS.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that because they are amputees, that only makes the joke more fun because of the cluster of wheelchairs trying to exit the area, that was most likely grassy. Either way, don't put on your 'outrage face' just yet, even amputees are pranked on. Don't worry either, I'm not trying to be PC on this one.
edit on 2011/7/5 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

Maybe you are correct in stating that military vets have a different way of seeing things as pranks, etc. If he meant no harm, and it was just a prank, I feel bad it went beyond his intentions. Does seem sort of serious though for a prank...you'd think these dudes have had enough of inhaling gas.

Also I think the post about cops being on steroids could have some truth to it as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The real story here is not tear gas grenade thrown at amputees but the fact that the officer was actually fired, probably only because he was off-duty. If he was on duty and did this, they would probably say it was "pending investigation" and the criminal would still be free to roam the streets.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
the police officer sounds like a little kid who just lost playing his favorite board game and starts throwing pieces every where.Is that really the mentality of cops now a days? i hope not

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Wow man, you are so tough and edgy.

It is amazing how many really tough badasses log onto the internet whenever school ends for the summer. They are so badass I want to move to America and be like them.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Are you insane. serious question. This was not a prank.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why would an off-duty policeman at a private gathering bring a tear gas grenade?

I mean, i would have expected those things to be 'controlled' insofar as 'issuing' them' to policemen for their own protection during work.

If it was all in jest and this is being overblown, fine, I get it.

But if I threw a tear gas grenade at a party (for whatever reason) I am fairly sure I would have been charged with a crime....

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
this guy definitely has some issues with paranoia, lack of self-confidence and possibly reduced-phallus syndrome.
I mean, why in the Hell would he be off duty, at a charity event, and CARRYING A FRIGGING TG GRENADE???

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Likely many of these veterans amputations were from IEDs and the blast wave from these can and does cause other injuries like TBIs and LUNG damage that could make tear gas a lethal.

The local grand jury should trow the book at this officer including attempted murder charges

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
ha. Max beat me to it!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
this guy definitely has some issues with paranoia, lack of self-confidence and possibly reduced-phallus syndrome.
I mean, why in the Hell would he be off duty, at a charity event, and CARRYING A FRIGGING TG GRENADE???

Omg thank you I laughed out loud hard

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Roid Rage. LEO's need regular testing for steroid use.

Actually, I am normally on the side that supports cops in these bashing threads, but I do believe regular testing for drugs, including "performance-enhancing" drugs should be mandatory and often for cops. I would say at least every 6 months, and if there were a budget for it, I would say every month, with a psych eval every 6 months.

It can't do any harm to test them, and since the public is paying to issue deadly weapons to these folks, I think we can demand they are held to a very high standard in regards to drugs and overall behavior, even off-duty. We hold our athletes to these high standards on and off the field, even in the off-season, and even before they sign their contracts, surely no one could argue that any harm could come from treating cops the same way?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join