It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Reagan unveiled outside US Embassy in London

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Statue of Reagan unveiled outside US Embassy in London

www.boston.com

LONDON - Passersby at the American Embassy, in the heart of London’s upscale Mayfair district, were greeted yesterday morning by the disembodied voice of Ronald Reagan drifting through the air from large speakers - a prelude to the unveiling of a $1 million bronze statue of the former president here to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth.

In defiance of the usual Fourth of July sentiments, American and British flags were intertwined and placed into perfectly trimmed hedges in leafy..
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-7-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I didn't like the guy to be honest, i think he's a really bad person. I mean look what he did the the Iran-Contra Scandal and such. Plus he trippled the national debt higher after he left office. What do you guys think about this?

Despite this, the only good thing i still remember when Reagan bombed Libyan leader Gaddafi back in 1986 as a retaliation for the Berlin discotheque bombing that killed two US soldier and a Turkish woman a week earlier.

What do you think about it?

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-7-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

Ghaddafi was not bombed, but his kid was. Pretty weird to have a Reagan statue in London. One of the worst presidents (as far as world peace goes), I'm not sure we should be celebrating him.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Meh

The only thing that statue is missing is Mickey Mouse holding his left hand

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
another rothschild puppet being celebrated.

Ronald Reagan was a closet commie in hollywood ,was known as Red Ronnie, before he became a neo-conservative in 80's

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
disgusting tbh

thats tantamount to USA putting up a statue of maggie thatcher outside the British Embassy

(which i would also strongly oppose)

Give it a week before somebody does a simpsons on it

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Ronald Reagan the actor or Ronald Reagan the president?

edit on 5-7-2011 by matito because:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Ya know I have been watching him on the Satellite TMC channel in Oz and he sure was a great guy.

He reminded many of a smiling horse...with shiny teeth and all.

Go the kipper.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Doing this is a bity strange isn't it? Revealing a statue of an american actor in london on the 4th of july?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Personally speaking, I'd have preferred a statue of Bonzo the chimp. I think he would be more deserving of such an accolade.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Or maybe even the cookie monster...
Something other than Reagan that would help improve tourism, not hurt it...

Greeted with a disembodied voice saying... "Me want cookie!", "Me eat cookie!", "Om nom nom nom"

edit on 5-7-2011 by matito because:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Chop it down, Bart Simpson style.

IMMEDIATELY.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I am a fan of Ronald Reagan. I really liked the guy. I think it's a great thing, considering the great relationship he engendered with Britain at the time.

*cheers* To Ronnie!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Reagan had his ups and downs in his administration like many presidents did but I think for what he had to work with he did what he felt was best based on what Americans wanted during the cold war. I can love him or leave him. Not a big fan.

$1,000,000 for a freaking statue though? Seriously? What is this world coming to? Does anyone know how many people could have benefited by that money being used towards improving employment etc.? It wreaks of Rome stench.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Goodness.. a statue of Reagan.... next thing they'll be asking for his face to be put on a bill.... oh wait. I find it fitting that tax payer money be wasted on a statue of a president who nearly tripled this country's debt, somebody who only furthers the rich and poor divide.

Ah well.... there's another statue of Thatcher somewhere in london I am to believe as well..... history can be sprinkled with sugar.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I am a fan of Ronald Reagan. I really liked the guy.

Why exactly do you like Reagan, aside from him letting you wear that uniform of yours? For a fiscally conservative tea partier, I'd really like to know.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Real quick?

~ Used Reaganomics which consisted of large tax cuts to increase private investments

~ Passed a 25% cut in federal income tax with Reaganomics

~ Fueled economic growth

~Strategic defense nicknamed "Star Wars" to protect America from enemy missiles.

~ Toured the country as a television host becoming a spokesperson for conservation.

~ Created the Reagan Doctrine which made allies out of many "captive nations" in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.

~ Ended the Cold War

wiki.answers.com...

I joined the service in 1981. He did many intangible things as well.

Though I think the greatest thing he did, was NOT PASS LEGISLATION on so many aspects of our lives. He believed in personal responsibility. He didn't believe in government intrusion.
If you want to measure the laws or rules "passed" by a president as a meassure, then RR is tops in my book.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Real quick?

~ Used Reaganomics which consisted of large tax cuts to increase private investments

~ Passed a 25% cut in federal income tax with Reaganomics

~ Fueled economic growth

~Strategic defense nicknamed "Star Wars" to protect America from enemy missiles.

~ Toured the country as a television host becoming a spokesperson for conservation.

~ Created the Reagan Doctrine which made allies out of many "captive nations" in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.

~ Ended the Cold War

wiki.answers.com...

I joined the service in 1981. He did many intangible things as well.

Though I think the greatest thing he did, was NOT PASS LEGISLATION on so many aspects of our lives. He believed in personal responsibility. He didn't believe in government intrusion.
If you want to measure the laws or rules "passed" by a president as a meassure, then RR is tops in my book.

one thing is clear .you are a neo-con not a libertarian . RR was a closet trotskyite,trotskyites are a revolutionary . He was known as red ronnie for a reason. Reagan has a major part in creation of a welfare-warfare state , which was a wet dream of trotsky.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

No neo-con. A registered Indy and a conservative.

But thanks for trying to define me.

cheers

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It should have been JFK. I have no idea why he doesnt get the respect he deserves.

Regardless of that, it might simply be payback for forcing Americans to watch your stupid wedding

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join