It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social rejection can cause real 'pain'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The study involved 40 volunteers who went through a romantic break-up in the previous six months and said thinking about it made them feel rejected. MRI's were used to study their brains in four situations: When viewing a photo of the ex-partner and thinking about the break-up; when viewing a photo of a friend and thinking of a positive experience; when a device placed on their arm produced a comforting warmth, and when that device caused pain.

Ouch, that broken arm of yours can equate to a broken heart. So it seems to show. The part of the brain where you deal with physical pain overlaps with the same part that deals with social emotional pain. It seems almost obvious that social rejection can cause real pain (I have an overly emotional sister, saying something mean to her is like jabbing her heart.) however the study now shows this to be true.

One thing to point out though is that to equate social pain to people who grow up with that and end up killing people or any other number of problems isn't necessary the case since there was no study to show how people DEAL with the pain. Anyways a fun little study i hope you enjoy having a quick read on. Mods

LINK:www.pressherald.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

I've read that article before, or maybe a different one about the same thing. I don't find it hard to believe. Pain is pain.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

lolol, when I read your topic, I thought there was written Erection.
Erection can cause real "pain". Ouch.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Interesting, this doesn't surprise me too much.

As the tolerance threshold for physical pain differs between individuals so does the tolerance for emotional pain.

Some people feel intense emotions and intense pain. Some people just genuinely don't care deeply at all about anything.

The first company to create a drug that chemically de-sensitises the emotionally sensitive has made its fortune.

top topics

join