It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A positive sign that Anonymous and LulzSec are actually preventing web censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Hate em or love em, it appears at least in this instance, that Anonymous and LulzSec are actually helping to prevent censorship of the internet.

Anonymous and LulzSec’s Existence Scares ISP into Halting Web Censorship

It is understood Telstra was last night still grappling with the decision as to whether to commit to the voluntary filter because of fears of reprisals from the internet vigilantes behind a spate of recent cyber attacks.

It is understood the unstructured collective of hackers that identifies itself as Lulz Security, which has an agenda to wreak havoc on corporate and government cyber assets, claiming this is to expose security flaws, is one of Telstra main concerns.

The other main concern is a group that identifies itself as Anonymous, another unstructured hacker collective that claims to be opposed to any form of internet censorship, and has carried out attacks on Australian government websites because of Canberra’s support for an internet filter

I know many people are concerned that the actions of these groups are going to actually result in MORE censorship of the net, but at least in this case it seems they have successfully prevented, or at least given second thoughts to an ISP's plan of censorship. This is a postive sign, i'm sure there are other cases as well that just haven't been made public of this same sort of second-guessing in fear of retaliation.

I see a lot of people always saying that these groups really don't accomplish anything but this is a nice little piece of evidence that they actually are making some headway, and i'm sure there's more to come.

P.S. This is the first thread i've created here, so hopefully i've linked and quoted everything properly. If not, my apologies.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Troublesome because: Spelling Error

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

There's always a point in resisting, changes will always be made. What I worry about is the general idiocy of the people involved in the anon and lulz projects. There's also the lack of organized leadership so that their "projects" could be suggested by people seeking to utilize the groups hive mind and skills.

At the end of the day they're mostly a bunch of stupid kids doing little more running dDos attacks, they're not uber hackers or major geniuses by any stretch.
edit on 4/7/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imhotepsol

At the end of the day they're mostly a bunch of stupid kids doing little more running dDos attacks, they're not uber hackers or major geniuses by any stretch.

And you're just an unoriginal, ill-informed and boring parrot. May I suggest next time you at least use the term 'script kiddies'. That way you'll be able to get some heart back-slapping from your fellow anti-anti-sec crowd.

/sigh

On a positive note - Well done again Anonymous -

Nice to see the so called authorities are running scared now. Keep it up.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
LulzSec is disbanded. They claimed a 50 day run on the lulz boat then disbanded.

Lulz was also attacked by another hacker and a group of other hackers claimed that would band together to expose them. Perhaps that is why they disbanded.... (shrugs) Hell, i figured they would all band together for the good of the world

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

Great news,

Telsta's system would break if someone sneezed on it, let alone brought it down so I can understand why they might be frightened.

edit on 4-7-2011 by deenuu because: coz

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
TPTB are running scared as they did not ever expect in their wildest dreams that a group like Anonymous would even be possible. They are losing while we the people continue to win. This is our Ace card in guarandamnteeing network neutrality for all.

They are the Digital Jedi's!
edit on 4-7-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I would use script kiddies but it's not the 1980's anymore in case you haven't heard. I think stupid kids will suffice.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Pretty sure an Australian member mentioned this a few weeks ago.

Either way, it's still good news they backed down in case of attack. LulzSec did indeed disband but wouldn't it be cool if anything that threatened internet censorship or spying could just be shown the Anon logo whether they still existed in future or not as a deterrent?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
They most certainly will continue to try to limit our internet activity and censor it.

This is good news and should serve as a warning to any others that might think it is still a good idea to try.

If Anonymous can get around a Government shutting down internet access to it's citizens (i.e. Egypt), they need to realize they will fail anywhere.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab549c68bae2.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 5-7-2011 by Hijaqd because: grammar fail

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I support Anon completely...but its the sudden heroic appearance which bothers me.....

I do wish they are truly professional people hell bent on defending our rights...

top topics

join