It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive device stolen from employee car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

A portable moisture density gauge that uses radioactive materials has been reported stolen from a truck in a suburb north of New York City. Stony Point police tell the Journal News in Saturday editions that they are searching for the over $4,000 device, which is regulated by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The gauge is licensed to a company that inspects construction material. The gauge was reported stolen June 27 from a truck parked outside the home of an employee who works for the testing company. The device's radioactive sources are categorized by the NRC as "very unlikely to cause permanent injury to individuals." State Department of Health spokesman Tom Alloco tells the newspaper that the radioactive sources are "doubly encapsulated and secured." Exposure would occur if the device broke.

Source: RSOE

Who in their right mind would steal something that if broken could cause radiation exposure? ...
I don't understand what could result from this but maybe its going to be used as a fear tactic?
edit on 7/3/2011 by Conspiracy Now because: Fixing one liner

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I certainly hope no one has taken it
in order to make something else
even more dangerous than it
already is.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Who in their right mind would steal something that if broken could cause radiation exposure? .

Somebody who doesn't know what they have stolen.

BTW, I'm not getting the article.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Now

because they're expensive and hard to get ahold of? that is THE reason most people steal the items they do. i'd imagine it is pretty safe and i doubt you could do anything nefarious with the small amount of radioactive material inside.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Yeah I'd assume maybe someone just stole it to sell it or something I guess.

By the way jam, you have to click "Event Description." Don't know why it didn't go straight to it, that was the link.

Another thing that puzzles me is if you look at the global map for this it lists it in New York City while in the article states this has taken place in Stony Point, NY which is further north into New York state. ...
RSOE is usually very accurate in placing its disaster icons.
edit on 7/3/2011 by Conspiracy Now because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I work with a nuclear gauge at work and no one is going to be able to do anything with it other than test compaction of soils or subgrade material for road building. I have to wear a badge when I run it so they can monitor the amount of radiation I receive, however, you get more radiation from the smoke detector in your house. Seems like a simple theft to me.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Now

The actual article is here: www.seattlepi.com...

RSOE may have misplaced the location because we're talking about NY as in the state. When most people hear "New York" they automatically think of the city, and that's probably what happened here.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by storm74

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of one of these things before this so I didn't know whether the organization reporting on this was downplaying its danger level or if it really was an issue. Good to hear from someone with knowledge on something like this.

top topics

join