It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subtle Forms of Patriotism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Happy Canada Day

While there was another thread on Canada Day, it's not so much the day I wanted to post about, instead, what some of the people have done on the day.

The Canada Day committee kicked the day off in true patriotic style by distributing more than 1,700 miniature Canadian flags to the lawns of more than 1,700 residences. 32 volunteers placed the flags so Morinville would wake up to the colours of the day.

So I was watching a news program about a town that had volunteers planting miniature Canadian Flags on the residents lawn this year before they woke up... Not sure if it was the one that is in the above article.

They interview this little girl and ask her "What do you think of the flags?" She replied, "It makes me feel like little bunnies are inside my stomach". (Or something to that effect)

Soo....

In the town they were talking about on the news, I guess the flag planting tradition started a few years ago by an anonymous party, no one discovered who originally did it, but the townspeople continued it....

Just a subtle form of patriotism that made a bunch of kids feel excited in the way Santa or the Easter Bunny does, and it's not even some made up gift giver that did it....

Sometimes the littlest act, can have a lasting impact.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/172677582755.jpg[/atsimg]

And don't forget the others that went just a little further, to celebrate our great nations birthday:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec5295dc3ace.jpg[/atsimg]

This year, more than 3,000 took part in the living flag, said Ken Kelly, general manager of the Downtown Victoria Business Association.

"There's a scurrilous rumour out there that [Winnipeg] is at 3,500 but I want to count the noses," Kelly said. He said it's encouraging that cities across Canada are picking up a made-in-Victoria event. He said Fredericton might get in on the challenge next year.

"I'm thinking next year we'll go for 5,000. Let's stop goofing around and make this something the world wants to participate in," he said, adding that people from Australia, Lebanon, South Korea and Hong Kong took part. Read more: www.timescolonist.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Happy Canada Day from a neighbor to the south. This is a really nice story, and thanks for sharing it.

We used to have a real estate agent that would do the same thing here, but he died a few years ago, and nobody picked it up.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Happy Canada Day from a neighbor to the south. This is a really nice story, and thanks for sharing it.

We used to have a real estate agent that would do the same thing here, but he died a few years ago, and nobody picked it up.

It seems like something so small, but in fact, it is probably one of the most patriotic things you can do for your country. Celebrate it.

Hope your holiday is a good one on the 4th.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Happy Canada day from an evil Sepp.

As the world lurches uncomfortably toward globalism, it is more important than ever for each nation to celebrate itself and to retain a sense of national identity in the face of the borderless cattleyard vision of the world being forced down humanity's throat. Canada is a beautiful nation with much to be proud of. All the best for a bright future.

edit on 7/1/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Used to be called 'Dominion Day' back in my day... < snark> Yes, let's celebrate what our countries have become. < /snark>
edit on 2-7-2011 by survivalstation because: damned html

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation
Used to be called 'Dominion Day' back in my day... < snark> Yes, let's celebrate what our countries have become. < /snark>
edit on 2-7-2011 by survivalstation because: damned html

Should we rather be ashamed of everything that has happened in our country since 1867? Or perhaps we can look back on all the great things instead....

There may be issues with Canada and the United States, but those issues do not take away from all that has been accomplished in North America in the past few centuries.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Happy Canada from a neighbor from the South. I am glad to see Canada live with pragmatic patriotism and still displaying a long attachment to the roots which built your glorious nation and inspired your people to form one of the most peaceful, stable, prosperous, and developed nations the world has ever seen.

new topics

top topics

join