It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Word Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think this can work here so long as you obey the rules...

So here's the deal - I'm going to put a rather quirky or otherwise commonly unfamiliar word at the bottom of this post and what you have to do is involve that word into either a description of all things that come to your mind, a poem, a story or whatever works best for you...and you have to do this within two minutes after your fingers hit that keyboard. (EDIT: As requested by one of the contributers, if you wish to look up the word, feel free to do so. - my thoughts on this are further down in the posts, but you have the right to choose)

Now I'm not asking you to get your stop-watch out, but be honest...not only is this an exercise meant to be fun and challenging, but it works great for pumping you up and getting ready to write. This is not to be used for a cheap shot at points by posting two lines...unless those two lines are real artistic.

Last two rules....after you post, go down a few spaces and post "New Word - 'blah'" - Finding the new word does not fall into the time limit - Then you have to look up the original word and provide its definition in your next post - if you post on an old word, don't worry....just be honest with the time limit....and don't go searching the posts for the word you want - this is meant to be spontanious

Ready?!

New Word - "spanghew"

[edit on 8/10/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

[edit on 8/10/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

[edit on 8/11/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
When autumn winds befall us
And turn our cheeks a-reddish
I'll grab thy lovely lower limbs
And spanghew thee o'er the Thames.

FRIGORIFIC

[edit on 2005/7/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The Frigorific wind poured through my open window.
Not followed by light,
but a voice from below.
A voice I can't reach at this heady altitude.
A voice I cannot reach with this destroyed attitude.
Magnetic is the cold, and velvet is the night
I am unaware of all,
yet I have clear sight.

"PARIAH"

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
frigorific: adj : causing cold; cooling or chilling

Pariah saw his father sitting on the edge of the bed and approached him. "Why did you name me Pirah, dad? All the kids at school tease me!"

John fiddeled with his thumbs and hid the mountain of tissues he had accumulated in the last two hours, soaked with tears and waded balls of starchy snot. under the sheets. "It was the best I could come up."

It rained heavier that night than Pariah could ever remember...

(EDIT: spelling)

...crapulous...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Pariah: Someone who is rejected by society or home

Laura paced the floor, her face red, tears streaming.

"How could you do this to me?"

"What?" Steven whined.

"You know what!"

"Look, I was just having a good time."

"Steve! I baked that pie for the party. I spent days preparing for this and you sit down and devour the whole thing in thirty minutes?"

"I was hungry and I wasn't thinking. I'm so sorry!"

"Shut up, you crapulous moron! You're making no sense. You're deranged. I've had it with you! Get out!"

Steve got up, walked to the door, farted loudly and left.

MACARONIC

[edit on 04/8/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Spanghew: To throw or jerk violently into the air. Origin of Word
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sitting on the window seal - it grows,
The flesh of the plant reeks.
The fuzzy auora only amplified by the rising sun.
No one sees you and my job is almost done.
Macronic is not yacronic.
- I was prouncing the word to get a feel for the it and it just sounded too close to "my chronic."

EDIT: You read into things what you want....I'm just now realizing that it the word is "Macaronic" - Sorry....lol

Frisbeetarianism

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
("Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you
die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.)

Frisbeetarianism pours fear into my soul,
When i die and rise to go,
Im scared incase my soul gets stuck,
Torn and twisted on the way,
Hopefully your love will guide the way.

Mannequin

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Infinite, remember that you define the word last used not the one you use - you would have wanted to define the word "macaronic" instead of "Frisbeetarianism"

In fact, not knowing what your word means is one of the coolest parts of the game....like with the word "pariah" that I wrote on - I honestly didn't really know its full meaning, but I knew I had heard it somewhere, so I went off of what the word sounded like to me and I pretty much got it right.....of course in my last post I clearly got a little side-tracked - lol - In any case, things are going great...lots of neat ideas - I cracked up laughing when I saw how you used the word "crapulous" GP

Also, mannequin may be a little too mainstream of a word, but no worries....If you need help finding an odd word, try these places
dictionary.reference.com...
www.worldwidewords.org...
www.logophilia.com...

EDIT: At the request of one of the contributers, and sort of going against the grain of what I've said above, if you'd like to look up the meaning of the word before you post, go ahead.

My thought on this was that you could be more creative with the word if you didn't know what it meant, then when you came back to read the other posts you'd find out the meaning and commit it to memory a little better - I dunno,,,your choice

I'll reflect this option in my original post so that newcomers will know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see mannequin and I think what is this world? Why do we have plastic women with fake plastic hard nipples showing off clothes that most women won't wear b/c it's too cliche in modern times to wear the same thing that the mannequin in the Burdines or Sears is wearing.

I think of an old show on Nickelodean I used to watch - a mannequin would come to life and that's really all I can remember...lol

I think sterile thoughts of some silly pose with eye sockets but no eyes...

pastiche

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
mannequin: woman who wears clothes to display fashions; "she was too fat to be a mannequin"

They say it's the rage of the nouveau-riche
To pass the time with risque pastiches.

They sit and sip their mint juleps while listening to medlies of ribald ballads.

Whoops! I forgot the new word.

Panegyrize

[edit on 04/8/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I took your advice and looked up the word - got my juices flowing a little faster

"Hey 'hun, stop here...we need to pick up some flowers."

Janice pulled the old dust covered jeep off to the side of the road and let Jimmy out. They were going to be late to the funeral, but they couldn't show up without at least some small token of proof that they weren't cold and heartless. Who were they trying to kid?

"Hurry up Jimmy!" Janice yelled out the window as Jimmy approached the door. She sat in the seat reflecting on her busy day to come. "If I have to sit there and hear that pastor panegyrize for more than an hour we're leaving."

camarilla

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
camarilla: a clique (often secret) that seeks power usually through intrigue a.k.a. cabal, faction, junto

Five years of his life, 60 months of his heartbeats, all came down to this. He never thought he would be so nervous as he logged on for the first time. He signed up, confirmed his email address and began to type. What he would expose would be the salvation of mankind.
The undercover operation he had taken against the most powerful camarilla in the world would not be wasted. He typed the words that exposed the plan they had for the world, into what would soon be posted on ATS. As as he pressed submit, he suddenly realized, there was a knocking on his window. Not that sound that a branch would make, but something more sinister.

Oh well, no more time for more character development :-)

The next word is:

pervicacious

edit: added a comma

[edit on 8/16/2004 by lockheed]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think the word definitions process got confused because the previous writer defined his own word. That leaves my last word which was Panegyrize, which means a eulogy.

There's one thing nice about New Orleans. The bars never have to close and many of them do stay open 24/7. That's a great comfort to those of us who have sleep interrupt insomnia and can just throw on some clothes, walk a few blocks, down a couple of scotches, engage in some barroom banter and head home to get a little more sleep before the alarm clock goes off.

The only problem is my wife who just can't seem to understand why I need to get out when I can't sleep. I think she's selfish. She thinks I'm getting old and calls me pervicacious. Me, I just think I'm set in my ways.

GALLIGASKINS

[edit on 04/8/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
pervicacious: Obstinate; willful; refractory.
Ta Jacobins enjoy ah wearing
ter galligaskins whilst ah
eatin upon ter sowins.

- That's the best I could come up with - had to use a rhyming dictionary...might have gone over the time limit a little looking up some words...

billingsgate

[edit on 8/26/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

[edit on 8/26/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
GALLIGASKINS. Wide, very loose breeches

On my merry way to school
Past the playground and the pool.
I take a dollar from my pants
And give it to the homeless man.

He takes the dollar in his hand
And throws it in the sand
And calls me a gotdang cheapskate
As he launches his livid billingsgate.

CACHINNATORY

[edit on 04/8/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Billingsgate [n] foul-mouthed or obscene abuse.

Marco extended the small twig as far as he could, hoping to hook the small sinking beads. Leaning further than he should, his boots found the slick river�s edge and lost the sound footing that kept him dry. With his arms flailing in futility, he landed in cold water like a tree fallen from the bank.

Almost as quickly as fell, Marco rose from the shallows, grinning behind a veil of brown water dripping from his face. He raised a muddy fist, clenching the wooden rosary he sought to save.

The cachinnatory nuns danced with approval, like schoolgirls on a carefree summer day.

BUSHWA

EDIT: To comply with the rules�(LOL, my reading comprehension must really suck. Thing is, I�m still not sure I got this right.)

[edit on 6-9-2004 by loam]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Please remember to read the rules:

1. You begin your post by defining the word used by the last poster - not the word you use in your post.
  2. The word you use is to be defined by the poster following you, who then uses the new word you left off with.

Hope that clears things up....you define the last word used...you use the new word given by the last poster....you give a word for the next poster and they define the word you used....and then you spin three times in a circle

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
'Cachinnatory' is a rare word that expresses the distaste many people feel for unrestrained or immoderate laughter.

I always wonder when I watch the wretched old TV
Why shows that always air on the Network WB
Have folks that trash each other in every single story
While everyone collapses in fits cachinnatory.
And even though the actors all make a load of money
The shows are always bushwa and never ever funny.

GABERLUNZIE

[edit on 04/9/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ya - you got the idea now loam

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bushwa: absurdity, nonsense

Ever get stopped by a bum? I don't mean some paltry play for your money. They physically hold you back and wish to rant away their life to you.

"I don't have the time you grubby Gaberlunzie!"

Those were my last words; well, apart from a few distant screams. Moral? I don't know! You figure one for yourself, 'ya dolt!

verisimilitude

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
GABERLUNZIE: A beggar.

Tolomaios found the burning city below oddly beautiful, marveling at the lines of red and yellow burning at the base of large black plumes reaching for the sky.

The attack came during the light of day, marauders riding into the city on dark warhorses and wielding wooden clubs covered in burning pitch.

Most in the city were dead or dying. The few remaining fled.

But Tolomaios was not thinking of any of that. Only the strangely beautiful fires remained the focus of his mind. He did not contemplate how he failed to protect his people; or that his reign was effectively ended. Soon the enemy would set through the doors, finding him on his terrace, alone, overlooking his burning city; the verisimilitude of his protection exposed.

VACCARY

Odd

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
VACCARY: A cow pasture.

The verdant fields spread before them, welcoming the presence of a thousand minds with nothing but benevolence.

Destiny had brought them here, but it had been more heavy-handed than was its usual wont. Each of them had waken from a strange dream of an ancient land, a place of great beauty and black horror. It was the enchantment of the glinting blade, the sinuous beauty of the serpent poised to strike.

They hated that lovely land, and would one day see it burn.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join