It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famed Buddhist tells West: 'Look to Jesus'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Famed Buddhist tells West: 'Look to Jesus'

The world's second most famous Buddhist is heading to Vancouver this summer with a message that may resonate among West Coast residents, who are on the front line of blending Western and Asian spiritualities.

Vietnamese Zen monk Thich Nhat Hanh, a peace and environmental activist second only to the Dalai Lama in global renown, doesn't want all North Americans to become Buddhists.

Thich Nhat Hanh, author of scores of books, is happy if Christians remain Christians, Sikhs stay with Sikhism and atheists hold onto secular humanism.

However, the 84-year-old monk urges all people to engage in inter-spiritual dialogue. He believes it will strengthen their commitment to their own founders' authentic teachings.

While Buddhists make up one of the fastest-growing religions in B.C., self-described Christians remain the largest cohort - comprising about 54 per cent of the provincial population, according to the last census.

I thought this might be of interest to those practicing Buddhist, that were not born into it, Thich Nhat Hanh, once commented that if you are born into Christian religion that is the path you should follow this life time, and discourages changing religions.
communities.canada.com...

edit on 103030p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You have to hand it to the Buddhists, they (generically speaking) see the big picture of religion/spiritualism that a lot of narrow minded people can't/refuse to see. If you get caught up on which religion is RIGHT, you have overlooked what was TAUGHT. And if you've already done that, good luck ever practicing and striving to achieve what was taught.

And perhaps that's the underlying reasoning of the monk. If you join Buddhism because you think it's "right" or you just feel like it'll liberate you from a "wrong" Christian culture, you're approaching spirituality under the wrong preconditions.

But, what do I know, just 1 idiots opinion

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Always got LOVE for the Buddist brotheren....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'd like you to point out where in the article, other than the headline, it says "look to Jesus" I ask this because the article is about his book which defines similarities between Jesus and Buddha, which is quite different from telling people to look towards Jesus, he is actually telling people to see the similarities between Jesus and Buddha (something main stream Christians may get offended by).

A lot of spiritual people (Yogananda for example), use the phrase "Christ Consciousness" to mean the consciousness of Christ, this monk uses the phrase "Living Christ" in much the same way.

I don't think he wants people to look towards Jesus, he wants people to look at the similarities between Jesus and Buddha.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
In my opinion Zen is as a non sense religon, or philosophy which ever you prefer, as christianity. Threvada Buddhism is the truth in my opinion. Not sure if its 100% true, but it makes so much sense.

very interesting: S&F
edit on 30-6-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I totally agree. I am a Buddhist, and I do very much admrie that man. What the article stated is very true. People shouldn't just jump on to a religion people are telling them to, they should stick to their roots.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Religion doesn't hve to be true. It is what it is. If you are a Buddhist, you shouldn't be taking those standpoints on religion.

link   
He wasn't a Buddhist but didn't Gandhi say something to the effect...

"I like your Jesus but not your Christians"

Seems that during his lifetime he witnessed some Christians not acting very "Christian like"

Interesting find

S & F

edit on 30-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   
People change spiritual paths/religions like changing socks these days. Pick something, respect it, give the energy and time and learn. Spiritual 'happiness' lies in a consistent and ever-learning practice.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

What standpoints? If something is true or not? Buddhism is all about the truth. Maybe you took me wrong though. I do respect their religion.

And if your going to identify yourself with a relgion, it should be true.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

So you aren't a Buddhist. Buddhism is not all about truth, thats a large mistake that you shouldn't follow. Explain to me, what truth is.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal

I totally agree. I am a Buddhist, and I do very much admrie that man. What the article stated is very true. People shouldn't just jump on to a religion people are telling them to, they should stick to their roots.

Plants stick to their roots. Animals follow instinct. Man follows reason.

Understanding your roots... integrating your instincts... and reasoning your path is the gift we have been given. Not everyone should stick to their roots, just as not everyone should break from them. Each must explore and experiment to discover their personal path in life and beyond.

Namaste.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I think he just says that because Westerners tend to butcher or contaminate Eastern philosophy with their pre-existing beliefs and ideologies. So they end up not getting much out of either tradition.

And, technically, what JESUS says, (not Paul) is fundamentally very similar, at least in how it should express as behavior towards other beings, so it you looked to JESUS, (not Paul) you wouldnt be missing a whole lot. The problem of course is that most Christians are actually following Pauls corruption of Jesus' teaching, which shifts the focus from works to faith, and promises you salvation because of what Jesus did, rather than based on YOUR actions, which is what Jesus said.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Buddhism is all about discovering the truth, or at least Threvada. And what is truth? It's self evident.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Truth isn't self-evidient. I think you have some learning to do my friend.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think you do. I just think we're gonna have to disagree.

"Truth is by nature self-evident, as soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear"
-Gahndi

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion
Plants stick to their roots. Animals follow instinct. Man follows reason.

Understanding your roots... integrating your instincts... and reasoning your path is the gift we have been given. Not everyone should stick to their roots, just as not everyone should break from them. Each must explore and experiment to discover their personal path in life and beyond.

Namaste.

Well said. Second sentence, same as the first.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Watching Buddhist argue about what is truth and what makes the "right kind of Buddhist" somehow has a surreal edge that I can't quit wrap my head around.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Buddhism has much more in common with the Abrahamic Religions than is commonly known. In fact, the 5 World Religions have much, much more in common with each other than Atheism does with any one Religion. The world we are heading towards will probably not come down to more conflict between Religions but conflicts between Religion as such and non-Religion. Thats the basic conflict of the Future.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Maybe i'm mis understanding you. Because religions have been killing each other since they were founded, and thats not about to change. For example, Isreal and Palistine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join