It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Andreas Quake Lull Possibly Caused by Flood Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This article is very interesting, especially if the science/theory behind it is correct. I still believe we are very close to 'The Big One' regardless, but what does this say about the midwest and New Madrid fault. If this flood theory is correct we could see a major quake in that area very soon as well:

news.yahoo.com...

San Andreas Quake Lull Possibly Caused by Flood Control
By Charles Q. Choi, OurAmazingPlanet Contributor
LiveScience.com | LiveScience.com – 16 mins ago

The San Andreas Fault is overdue for "the big one," and the efforts by humans to control flooding in the area could be the reason for the recent lull in temblors, a new study suggests.

Ancient floods once helped unleash earthquakes on the San Andreas, a group of researchers has found. The southern portion of the fault has not experienced a large earthquake for about 300 years, though, which makes one long overdue — the previous five major earthquakes in the region occurred at approximately 180-year intervals.

Over the past century, humans have put in place measures to control floods in the region to protect property and infrastructure, which the researchers say might explain the quake lull.

Flooding possibly fueled faults

To investigate both the cause of these earthquakes and the current lull in them, scientists probed the locale where the southern San Andreas Fault ends, the Salton Sea, currently the largest lake in California...............

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

S & F

I am really starting to take a deeper interest in the activity of the San Andreas fault zone.

As I stated in another thread regarding the nonchalant Californians, residents in Joplin and Alabama were used to tornados, Japanese citizens were used to quakes, and Indonesians were used to tsunami warnings.....

Keep the info flowing!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Seems like that should also mean the next "Big One" will be bigger than usual, since extra pressure would have built up, as a result.

DS: Are you also in California?

edit on 28-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I put this in another thread somewhere, but seems appropriate here too. Pretty neat shake down simulation of the San Andreas going off.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
Seems like that should also mean the next "Big One" will be bigger than usual, since extra pressure would have built up, as a result.

DS: Are you also in California?

edit on 28-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

The Big One is going to be very big (at least mag 8.0)- and we seem many artcles circulating the last few years (including the one I posted yesterday) that confirms this.

Yes I am, Orange County. I have been studying this stuff and monitoring the San Andreas for years, in fact ever since the 2010 Easter Quake in Baja I have on even higher alert considering how close that event was to the San Andreas.

Also I've seen this shake map simulation you posted before and if it's accurate we are in for a world of hurt. What most people don't realize about 'the big one' is that since the greater LA and San Diego metro areas lie within a basin, the shockwaves produced from the San Andreas will reverberate back and forth between all the surrounding mountain ranges (think of a bowl of jello) and basically increase in intensity during the process. This is scientific fact by the way, I'm not making this up. Basically you can expect Riverside and San Bernadino counties to be completely destroyed since they will be hit the hardest. And considering how densely populated those areas are due to the influx of hispanics the death toll in that area alone will be in the 1000's, maybe even 5 digits.

Also liquefaction will be a major issue as well rendering the whole area from Ventura County to the Mexican Border a death trap considering there are only a few major freeways out of southern california (the 10 & 15) and both will rendered useless from either being destroyed in the EQ itself or innudation from people trying to leave.

This is no joke people and I'm really not trying to fearmonger. I'm just here to warn fellow human beings and southern california residents to prepare and be ready if you want your family to survive because nobody else is giong to help you including the government and local law enforcement - also speaking of them, what do you think is going to happen when they are overwhelmed during the aftermath? You are going to see chaos on an unprecented level with mobs of criminals rioting, looting and attacking innocent civilians.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I used to live somewhat near Rosemead, which is pictured on that shakedown and has all the red going through it, indicating some serious shaking is going on. Now, I'm glad to be a few hours north of LA. I'm sure we'll still get some good shaking but won't be in the thick of it now.

However, if Edgar Cayce is right, we may still get flooded ... can't win in California!

new topics

top topics

join