It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor power plant shut down Sunday in New Jersey due to reactor coolant pump problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

The Salem 2 nuclear power plant in southern New Jersey is shut down because of a problem with a reactor coolant pump. Spokesman Jo Delmar tells Today's Sunbeam of Salem that the Salem 2 reactor went offline automatically at 6 p.m. Sunday. Delmar says an auxiliary pump automatically kicked in when the main pump shut down. He says the cause is under investigation. Salem 2 is one of three reactors operated at the Artificial Island generating site in Lower Alloways Creek Township on the Delaware River. The Salem 1 and Hope Creek reactors continue to operate at full power. The three plants provide enough electricity to power 3 million homes.

Just found this on the RSOE EDIS site. Hopefully this is solved quickly, our Nuclear dance card is full...
hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

The nuclear plants are old. Built with 40 year life spans that end now.

It's only a matter of time

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Thanks OP for the useful site. I haven't heard or seen it at all before this thread. Lets hope this doesn't become worse or this will spell doomsday for the northern east coast. I only live within 150 miles from this.
Hopefully this gets under control soon.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The last thing we need is another potential nuclear disaster. I'm not too worried yet. We should wait until we have more information to speculate.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Nuclear power plants aren't going to get a moments rest from us tin foil hat wearers from now on.

After the reactor melt downs in Japan any slight problem at a nuclear power plant is going to get blown into doomsday.

Not at all saying this thread is doing that, just making a point about nuclear power plants being discussed on ATS in general.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
for those interested, here is a link to a relative compilation of some of the more fatal nuclear accidents under US jurisdiction occurring around the country for the last 50 or so yrs. Not all are listed mind you, but it's a nice encyclopedic listing of the major ones. Thanks allen. www.lutins.org...

The reference nor compilation is not meant to derail nuclear power ambitions, but one sure has to credit Einstein for noting that nuclear power sure is one heck of a way to boil water.

To those who may not have been exposed to some of the horrible mistakes we've made along the way, this is the time to speculate, this is the time to reflect, and it is certainly the time to prepare ... before the damage is done, before more potential is developed, before the carnage becomes another historical fact.

The reality that really scares me is that even some of my friends whom are over 35yrs, don't even seem to know "what" a superfund site is - that really scares me because there are sooooo many ... as for Florida, look elsewhere for residence, nearly 2/3 of this state is declared superfund in one form or another.
** beryllium, phosphates, iodine, arsenic, radioactive waste, allllll different kinds all over **

for a 'quick look' at the current fl "National Priority" superfund sites, see here: www.dep.state.fl.us...

Please review our nuclear "best" (?) over the years and look inside yourself through the eyes of your children and then decide if, how and why we should continue to feed such an addiction.

Even the craziness proposed in Tampa concerning the Crystal River plant is anything but positive ... why they would attempt to reactivate such a losing proposal (since 2009), i just do not understand.
Prayers to all who have succumbed to the the poisoning brought on by the superfund sites ... luck to those who survive beyond Gainesville and may we learn from our failures rather repeat them.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
for those interested, here is a link to a relative compilation of some of the more fatal nuclear accidents under US jurisdiction occurring around the country for the last 50 or so yrs. Not all are listed mind you, but it's a nice encyclopedic listing of the major ones. Thanks allen. www.lutins.org...

The reference nor compilation is not meant to derail nuclear power ambitions, but one sure has to credit Einstein for noting that nuclear power sure is one heck of a way to boil water.

To those who may not have been exposed to some of the horrible mistakes we've made along the way, this is the time to speculate, this is the time to reflect, and it is certainly the time to prepare ... before the damage is done, before more potential is developed, before the carnage becomes another historical fact.

The reality that really scares me is that even some of my friends whom are over 35yrs, don't even seem to know "what" a superfund site is - that really scares me because there are sooooo many ... as for Florida, look elsewhere for residence, nearly 2/3 of this state is declared superfund in one form or another.
** beryllium, phosphates, iodine, arsenic, radioactive waste, allllll different kinds all over **

for a 'quick look' at the current fl "National Priority" superfund sites, see here: www.dep.state.fl.us...

Please review our nuclear "best" (?) over the years and look inside yourself through the eyes of your children and then decide if, how and why we should continue to feed such an addiction.

Even the craziness proposed in Tampa concerning the Crystal River plant is anything but positive ... why they would attempt to reactivate such a losing proposal (since 2009), i just do not understand.
Prayers to all who have succumbed to the the poisoning brought on by the superfund sites ... luck to those who survive beyond Gainesville and may we learn from our failures rather repeat them.

And people wonder why we have such a high rate of cancer everywhere these days!!! Thanks for the sites OP, truly terrifying, and informational. Nice to know we've got unexploded nuclear devices laying around on the floor of the oceans everywhere, and in places like boggy, wet farmland now off-limits (here in the U.S). That doesn't even scratch the surface. I know people generally say "You won't believe the number of nuclear accidents we've had in the past 60+ years, (and even the report here doesn't list them all, just highlights some), but it hits home when you start reading the reports. I know the report states it's not Anti-nuclear, just compiling reports, but how can you be pro-nuclear with all the truths slapping you in the face!!! No wonder people are so sick, everywhere. And you can't tell me, after reading reports like this, that the only reason our government and officials support Nuclear Reactor energy, is to benefit the Military Industrial Complex which as poisoned us all, and the lies that Nuclear reactors benefit the common citizens are just that, lies, to product the military endeavors!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

join