It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facing wildfire, Los Alamos officials scramble to protect hazardous material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Facing wildfire, Los Alamos officials scramble to protect hazardous material

www.msnbc.msn.com

Officials in Los Alamos National Laboratory were scrambling Monday to make sure that radioactive and hazardous material were protected from a wind-driven fire that had forced the installation to close.
The number one priority at the moment is to make sure all the radioactive and hazardous material is protected, Janet Bettinger, deputy manager of finance, told NBC News. She said she couldn't confirm that it is protected at this point.
The fire has burned around 44,000 acres and was threatening buildings, power lines and natural gas lines, Bettinger said. Officials were not planning to turni
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Not being familiar with all the workings of this lab, I wonder how much potential damage could there be should the fire overwhelm their efforts?

"Lab emergency crews have been dispatched across the lab ... to protect key facilities and materials," Berger said. "Protected areas include all hazardous and radioactive facilities and our proton accelerator and supercomputing centers."

The Governor has summoned the New Mexico National Guard to help support the efforts to protect the facility.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I can see the smoke cloud from my little adobe here in the Rio Grande Valley as we speak.

www.youtube.com...

I am currently housing pets of friends here at my place that have evacuated from Los Alamos and Jemez Springs.

Around the labs there are firebreaks, and other safety measures to keep the "nasty ****" contained. We learned our lesson in the big fire 11 years ago..........I hope!
edit on 27-6-2011 by whaaa because: whaaa?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
now the mods don't even bother with search function.

funny.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Not being familiar with all the workings of this lab, I wonder how much potential damage could there be should the fire overwhelm their efforts?

There's plenty of HEU/plutonium there I imagine-as they design nuke bombs there.
Bet they want all that out of the way of the fire.

Los Alamos is where they secretly did the Manhattan project back in the day-maybe they have even murkier secret projects there today that we can't even imagine.

Not the sort of place you want going up in flames thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I looked... but obviously missed your thread

No worries.. please join the existing thread which can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you,

Closed.

top topics

join