Warning--Incoming!

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hello everyone:

I found this on Surfing the Apocalypse just a few minutes ago. I do not know how to do the data if there's an NEO or NEA close. Does anyone else know how to do this? Do we have any astronomers here?

Here is the post below:

>>This was posted on GLP... I can't read the data posted on the link but it seems VERY REAL... I hope someone on this board can read it all and post back...

Warning

a telescope detected an incoming object at 02 UTC today. the ephermerides shows a significant increase in brightening and motion, further checks are being needed to rule its on an impact trajectory

the objects code is 689003
cfa-www.harvard.edu...




posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
GLP and "surfing" have a history of being hysterical over every single object in the sky (including the moon, imaginary planets, and so forth.) To date, they've predicted the destruction of the Earth by Demos and Phobos (that happened last summer), Planet X, and every single NEO asteroid in the sky.

If you're concerned about NEOs and want to hang with astronomers (amateur and pro) who would be the most likely bunch to tell you when there really IS a threat, then check out www.badastronomy.com...

The NEO page you cited cfa-www.harvard.edu... doesn't show anything of concern.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by Byrd]



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
hey Byrd,
Your slipping




If you're concerned about NEOs and want to hang with astronomers (amateur and pro) who would be the most likely bunch to tell you when there really IS a threat, then check out cfa-www.harvard.edu... The NEO page you cited cfa-www.harvard.edu... doesn't show anything of concern.

Are the same links as tiza gave



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

If you're concerned about NEOs and want to hang with astronomers (amateur and pro) who would be the most likely bunch to tell you when there really IS a threat, then check out cfa-www.harvard.edu...

The NEO page you cited cfa-www.harvard.edu... doesn't show anything of concern.


Hi, Byrd:

I was just curious, that is all. I don't know how to figure the data. I will ask someone else then.

Tiza



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
R U talking about the asteroid that is supposed by
pass us by 4 LD on Sept 29th? I forgot the name
of it. It starts with a T and rotates oddly, like
a potato



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
D'OH!!!

I meant, of course, to link to Bad Astronomy: www.badastronomy.com... -- but I don't think the computer and I are on speaking terms today. Thanks for the heads' up!



Originally posted by Kenshiro
hey Byrd,
Your slipping




If you're concerned about NEOs and want to hang with astronomers (amateur and pro) who would be the most likely bunch to tell you when there really IS a threat, then check out cfa-www.harvard.edu... The NEO page you cited cfa-www.harvard.edu... doesn't show anything of concern.

Are the same links as tiza gave


[edit on 10-8-2004 by Byrd]



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Toutatis
Sept. 29
4 LD
9


Side note...PERSEID METEORS: The 2004 Perseid meteor shower is underway. Every hour, 10+ meteors are streaking from the constellation Perseus, and that number will increase 3- to 6-fold when the shower peaks on August 11th and 12th. Look for Perseid Earthgrazers when the sun goes down on Wednesday, August 11th. Then, before dawn on Thursday, August 12th, go outside for the main event: as many as 60 meteors per hour.

www.spaceweather.com...

[edit on 10-8-2004 by SpittinCobra]



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
R U talking about the asteroid that is supposed by
pass us by 4 LD on Sept 29th? I forgot the name
of it. It starts with a T and rotates oddly, like
a potato


Hello, Flyers:

No, that's Toutatis. Not sure of the spelling. I don't know the name of the one that the message was talking about. It is probably just a hoax, I guess, but I like to check things out. I have a question in to some astronomers.

Tiza



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Thanks spittncobra, cool info!

Hey, just out of curiousity - why aren't people up in arms about the astroid MK4 that will be closer to us than the moon in 2032? It is strange that nobody seems to be interested because it may not directly affect them, but some of us have families. Shouldn't there be some mention of the MK4 regardless so that people are aware? I will be almost at retirement age and none of us may be around by then, but who knows. It is weird how we live in a day where if it doesn't directly effect "me" then the heck with it. Doesn't anyone care anymore about our families and their future?

Strange...
Am I overreacting on this one a little?



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Godsent
Thanks spittncobra, cool info!

Hey, just out of curiousity - why aren't people up in arms about the astroid MK4 that will be closer to us than the moon in 2032? It is strange that nobody seems to be interested because it may not directly affect them, but some of us have families. Shouldn't there be some mention of the MK4 regardless so that people are aware? I will be almost at retirement age and none of us may be around by then, but who knows. It is weird how we live in a day where if it doesn't directly effect "me" then the heck with it. Doesn't anyone care anymore about our families and their future?

Strange...
Am I overreacting on this one a little?


Hello, Godsent:

Guess I'm getting close to retirement age too. Well, hopefully by 2032, we can shoot the thing down. Probably could now if they see it soon enough.

Godsent, I sent you a message. Did you get it? I was wondering if you've seen Jumpspace. I have a couple of posts to him on the AB Analysis, but he's never answered me. Guess he's gone now.

Tiza



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah, I just replied to it. Sorry I didn't get to it yesterday. Haven't seen him.

I know that they are sending people out on "operation impact"; maybe this one astroid is the reason. Hopefully there are not more they are not sharing information about ya know?



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Godsent
Yeah, I just replied to it. Sorry I didn't get to it yesterday. Haven't seen him.

I know that they are sending people out on "operation impact"; maybe this one astroid is the reason. Hopefully there are not more they are not sharing information about ya know?



Thanks, Godsent. I'll check my messages. There are so many NEOs out there it's just unreal and they're always discovering more every day. Let's hope one is not close right now.

Tiza



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
if a porous ateroid is going to hit earth,there is nothing we can do to stop it because it absorbes the energy from an explosion and doesnt change trajectory...i hope MK4 is dense not porous



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Apparently that object is a close approach.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...


Tiza



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think you will find that there are a lot more than the Mk4 in 2032 take a look at these other near earth objects.


neo.jpl.nasa.gov...



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
I think you will find that there are a lot more than the Mk4 in 2032 take a look at these other near earth objects.


neo.jpl.nasa.gov...


There are quite a few NEO's but the MK4 is a PHA. The difference is one is a Near Earth Object, which are generally small or not big enough to cause a lot of damage. PHA's are potentially hazardous astroids which are usually big and can cause extreme damage.


Edit - oh, also it depends on the mass density of the object as well. Some burn up in our atmosphere easier than others do.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by Godsent]



posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Those figures that I posted shows that object is not close enough to cause damage, thankfully! I hope the figures are correct.

Tiza





new topics
 
0

log in

join