It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beach consumed by sink hole in Australia (Inskip Point)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanomcakes

Ok you first.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ground water levels are high across the east coast due to all the flooding,maybe something to look at.
As long as we have beer all is good.
However if the beer had fallen into the sinkhole,we would have seen a different reaction,
raging despair and a quick response to try and save it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Someone needs to suit up and dive down there to check it out, same with the japan one in the lake, at least find out how deep they go!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
Ground water levels are high across the east coast due to all the flooding,maybe something to look at.
As long as we have beer all is good.
However if the beer had fallen into the sinkhole,we would have seen a different reaction,
raging despair and a quick response to try and save it.

I would have to agree there may be a few less Campsites this Chrissy but overall the area here has always been naturally fierce like the Tiger Sharks that populate Frazer.
We have seen a lot of Erosion since the Brissy Floods at the start of the year. I think a lot of QLDers just have the opinion of well its nature nothin to do but wait for it to finish its thing with a cool bevi and sort it out when shes finished.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89
in regards to all you australians gloating over drinking beer by a sinkhole? as americans ( especially texans ) we drink beer around alot funnier things

OMG now I had a very good laugh over that! Good Grief we sure do Loves our guns!
If you frick this up I'm gonna kill you I swear! LMAO. Friends don't let drunk friends shoot guns.
By the way I live on the edge of sink hole . . . if trees start falling in, I am outta here.
edit on 26-6-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
With the sink holes in Quebec, the giant cracks in Peru, and this? The earth is obviously sinking in on it's self. What could be the cause?

.. reminds me of what my friend asked during that massive BP oil spill "so millions of oil is gushing out into the ocean... whats filling up the pockets where the oil use to be?"

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Um... If it is not a good idea to drive on the beaches, since it can cause sinkholes, then why is it allowed?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It seems like more of a case of beach erosion than a sink hole.

The ocean is just eroding away the sand very quickly

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
If it was a sinkhole wouldn't the water be going down the sinkhole and not still floating? Just curious. Could it be another kind of explanation? Japan has this huge sinkhole in the middle of this lake and the water is flowing down not floating.

That is not some random sink-hole.

If you pop the top off your toilet's tank, you will see a pipe sticking up that lets the overflow water go down into the bowl. This is to stop your tank from overflowing if the valve doesn't stop the water once it's done re-filling your tank.

Some dams and reservoirs have this same type of system, a water inlet at a certain height that will drain excess water off before overflowing. Here are a few examples:

www.usefilm.com...

The water level is low so you can see the pipe, if the water level rose over the pipe, it would just look like a hole in the water, just like in the vid you posted.

www.flickr.com...

4.bp.blogspot.com...

1.bp.blogspot.com...

It's quite obvious that's what is being shown in that video. It might be a damn, there is obstructions a little farther up the water on the left side, which would make sense to stop boats from going to the end of the dam or drainage funnel. A sinkhole isn't just a never ending hole in the earth, it's basically a depression in the land. Water won't just flow into it forever. Another reason that isn't a sinkhole, is because the water is flowing into something at the surface. If there was a sinkhole it would be at the bottom of the lake/river and you wouldn't see a perfect little funnel of water going all the way up to the surface.

Anyway, as for the OP,

That's pretty freaky. It seems, like some others have said, that this is more of just some quick erosion and not really a sink hole, but still pretty crazy looking. All the floating sand/dirt/whatever it was reminded me of a video where volcanic ash had covered a lake with such a thick layer of ash you could walk out on it, but it still dipped up and down as the water under it moved, really creepy looking.
edit on 26-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

coast has been washing away along the beaches on the SE coast for years places like the gold coast get sand trucked in and pumped up to rebuild beaches

www.panoramio.com...
edit on 26-6-2011 by chooselove because: more info

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
reply to post by davesmart

How is that a load of crap ?

You've obviously never met an Australian, so long as we have a beer in our hand we'd stand around & watch anything. Its not as if the beach was being sucked into a massive hole suddenly, you could easily watch the progress of the erosion.

so so true. a while back a petrol station a block away from my house caught on fire in the middle of the night (arson). There was nowhere to run to & I had family who refused to leave the house who would be killed if the fuel tanks exploded & I wouldn't leave them. I had already been drinking when it all happened so I thought bugger it, grabbed a couple more beers & joined the neighbours, cops & fire department on the street to watch it burn...

Peace,
-Bob

P.S) I used to live in tin can bay too (sth from inskip) nice place but total redneck country.
edit on 26/6/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

What's the worse that would happen? Someone fall into the water for a swim? The water is calm - person would just swim over to the steady part of the beach and walk out. No big deal. Camera might get ruined, but such is life.

I can't wait to see how big that sink hole gets.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just to clarify not all Australians are drunken yobbos, and sink back booze all day sorry if my fellow Australians send that kind of message.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Looks more like a really high tide than a sink hole.

I regularly camp on Fraser and double island point and this sort of thing happens nearly every king tide.

Nothing to see here.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

You my friend are a disgrace to your nation, hang your head and go back to your merlot or chardonnay or whatever gay cider it is that you and your pen pushing mates sip. How dare you apologize on behalf of anyone, let me guess your a mid management civil servant who plays soccer on the weekend, just be sorry for yourself!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
Just to clarify not all Australians are drunken yobbos, and sink back booze all day sorry if my fellow Australians send that kind of message.

Let me apologise for this guy. We don't have too many outsiders who try to claim moral supremacy, by speaking as insiders about their perceived problems. He's clearly one of th9ose who likes to worry about other people's behaviours too make himself feel good.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
HA! How did a thread about a washout on a beach near Brisbane turn into an all out Aussie bashing session? Talk about sidetracking from the subject! Hell i love Australia! Now if only they would grant my my citizenship! Ive lots of Aussie Mates. More so than my yank friends.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

LOL.

BTW I'm not quite sure where you got the idea that I was having a go at you from - I was just simply replying to your post with a fact is all.

Awaiting this so-called 'evidence' that Australia is a nation of the products of incest...........lmao.........

Im just getting the camera to go take photos of the locals here where I live. That should be proof enough . But that is a minority of the populous who bred like this and you can tell with the low intelligence .

As for the sink hole , Im reading here that some are saying its normal for that part of the sunshine coast . Why is Kingscliff beach dissappearing just over the boarder ? Anyone

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Rightio mate, no harm done - cheers for the apology

Have a beer for me will ya - I forgot to go to the bottleshop before they shut tonight hehe.

You guys are kidding here , surely with your aussie slang talk and all . I feel like Im in a retrograde land . Strickly ballroom ...or THE Castle

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

I always talk like that mate, feel free to peruse through my several years worth of posts and confirm that. Davesmart is from the UK if I'm not mistaken, so I cannot vouch for the way he spoke at all. Nice taking the thread off-topic again btw

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join