It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LOUD jet over Portland, OR Right now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here I am sitting at my computer, browsing ATS.

The time is 2:52 PM. I live in Portland, OR about 20 minutes from downtown.

SUDDENLY a HUGE roar from some type of aircraft. I am not that knowledgeable about aircraft, so I cannot come anywhere near close figuring out what this was based on the sound. But it was LOUD! I have some beer and shot glasses sitting on top of a counter, TWO of them rattled off the counter and broke on the floor. The sound lasted about 6-8 seconds, then suddenly stopped. I was on my way outside to look up, but it stopped before I got outside, and couldn't see anything at all.

This was by far the loudest sound I have never heard, I could feel it in my chest, and as I said it rattled two glasses off my counter.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? A jet hitting its afterburners or something? That's the only thing that came to mind, but I thought they weren't allowed to use their afterburners while over cities and what not?

Anyway, just thought I would share, this scared the chit out of me, lol. Any ideas would be welcome.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
are you sure you heard this? it says you had some beer and shot glasses. were you drinking?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

A jet fighter flying past will do it. Afterburners are not required.

We have three of them pass directly over my house every Australia Day and I swear it feels like the sound passes through every organ in my body. The first time I heard it I didn't know what was going on. The entire house shakes with the noise which sounds like its come from Steven Spielbergs effects department after someone feed an audio amplifier steroids

The sound seems to be worse the slower that they are moving.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
No stress man, prolly just some jet making a low pass above the city for # and giggle... Trust me jets ARE LOUD... I remember when I was in the cadets I spent a couple weeks on a air force base in Nova-Scotia for basic training and when the F16/F18 would land or take off they were so far they looked like they were 2-3 inches long from where our barracks were yet the sound was so loud we'd have to raise our voices in the barracks to understand each other... Prior to that I knew by common sense that a jet as to be loud...but you really have to see it in person for yourself to really understand how loud these beasts are!!!

Your lucky they didn't break the wall of sound cuz you would of # in ur pants... the pilots there did it sometimes during the training above our barracks cuz we they knew loved it and HOLY SH!T its loud... pilots in NS were friggen cool whenever we were around they'd make wheelies and sh!t with the Chinooks it was hilarious I'll never forget that...

edit on 24-6-2011 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Haha no, they were clean glasses, the drinking doesn't start for another 5-6 hours

Anyway,

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe it was just a normal jet. It's just odd, because I have lived here for years and I have heard plenty of jets going by, but NEVER one this loud. And it just suddenly started and stopped, instead of the normal pattern of being a little quiet, getting loud, and then getting quiet again.

Plus the glasses breaking (luckily just cheap cheater-pints) just made this a very odd experience. Like a sustained "WTF" moment hehe.

Sorry for starting a thread about this, if it indeed was just a normal jet, but it was a totally new experience for me, and since I was on ATS, I figured I'd post and see if anyone else local heard/saw anything.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Maybe it was a tremor of some sort? I've experianced noise that I thought came from a jet and later found out it was a small eartquake. And there I am looking up.
When I should have been looking down.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
hi noobie here
ive heard a sound like that before was scary at the time and the whole building shook
so i ran to the window and looked out and caught a glimpse of 2 red lights fading away in the distance
and this thing was huge and traveling slow the 2 lights were on each end of this craft and were static (not flashing like normal aircraft) it was around 11pm at night i lived in a block of flats in town i was wondering what it could be and looked down and noticed 2 people walking along the road below the strange thing about it these 2 people were oblivious to the sound and the size of this thing and were not even looking up

anyway hi

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Interesting.

I halfway suspect that some of the exotic stuff flying, or more correctly moving, around in our skies have very efficient sound-deadening technology that sometimes fails in flight and allows the true sounds of the propulsion units to be heard.

That mysterious sound on a twenty-minute video from Virginia several months ago could be suspected as an uncloaked sound. In a slight rehash of that video, the sound lasted at one volume, shaking the ground, for a solid twenty minutes. The women on the video said they were four miles from the airport. Toward the end of the video, there was a flash of light (it was not dark at the time) and some seconds later, the sound suddenly diminished and was gone. It did not suddenly stop.

I find with a bit of calculations of the time period between the flash of light and when the witness recordered the lowering of the sound matches very close to a speed-of-sound distance from the airport, about four miles.

I submit that sound was of some exotic aerial equipment in trouble at the airport and the flash of light indicated that it was leaving the area at speed and the sudden diminishing of the sounds proves that it was moving away.

I assume this was our hardware. If such craft are indeed that noisy, sound-deadening devices may be a virtual necessity. Given that some of the mysterious craft are quite huge, I assume also that they can accomodate such equipment as part of their capabilities.

A rechecking of activities at the airport that night may give some indications that something strange went on there.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

A jet fighter flying past will do it. Afterburners are not required.

We have three of them pass directly over my house every Australia Day and I swear it feels like the sound passes through every organ in my body. The first time I heard it I didn't know what was going on. The entire house shakes with the noise which sounds like its come from Steven Spielbergs effects department after someone feed an audio amplifier steroids

The sound seems to be worse the slower that they are moving.

i'm thinking bigger, they don't physically shake things in your house unless they're really low and even then, needs bass (lol). the sound is intense yeh but not enough for moving things, my mom lives on a base and when I visit they fly over in formation at 9 every morning, and theres like 5 jets, 1000 ft up, in my experience anyway, nothing moved. just a rude awakening for a couple mornings until you get used to it

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Oregon ANG in Portland has F-15s

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yeah I would say a large B-52 or B-2, could have also been a low and fast F-15 but that would just make a quick boom. I had a B-2 do a practice run up my river the other day going slow and that was loud as all hell when the exhaust was pointed in your direction. If it was facing you or sideways you could barely hear it. It was the first time I had ever had a stealth bomber fly over like that. He was so low it was really cool, especially seeing it bank with the river turns.

I think they did this to avoid being spotted by the normal commercial air traffic that flies overhead into Tampa as it seemed to come from McDill AFB. Or maybe the pilots just said oh well we can go low and take off now rather than wait for clearance from Joe blow at Tampa int.

top topics

join