It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya resumes college funding for students in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

DETROIT – About 2,000 Libyan students who attend U.S. colleges are getting a one-year reprieve in financial support after Libya resumed funding that was halted when the U.N. froze about $30 billion of that country's assets, the organization that administers the funds said.

The Canadian Bureau for International Education announced Wednesday that Libya transferred the money through its central bank to continue the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program. The funding covers tuition and monthly living allowances through May 2012 for the students and their dependents.

I never knew Libya was paying for their students to go to school over here. This is a good thing, right? Even though they are being bombed, they still pay for their students education.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Libya (was) a very developed and "Liberal" nation by ME standards .. Quadafi and Europe were best mates up until .. well .. until they started bombing Libya. In fact we had just taken them off the Terrorist watch list, Scotland gave them their most notorious mass murderer back ... whatever the excuse we have for bombing Libya it isn't "to protect civilians."

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Gadaffi had long ceased being the demonic despot 'The West' had previously portrayed him as and had quite close links to him.
His regime was remarkably 'liberal' compared to other North African / Arab / ME countries and the country and it's people were relatively affluent.

Given the significant 'Western' interests within Libya I think it's reasonable to assume that 'The West' believes it had no alternative other than to protect those interests.
Once involved it has felt beholden to be seen to support the rebels and civilian etc.
Yet it has no deep rooted desire to depose Gadaffi and is cautious of the regime that might replace him.
This has led to the half-arsed, ill thought out and ineffective policies currently employed.

That Gadaffi is willing to resume this college funding under the current curcumstances speaks volumes about his desire to see past the current crisis and try in some part to put his countries long term interests first.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Well put. NATO could always admit their mistakes and step out and let the government reform ..

But hey.. it's just peoples lives we're playing with..

new topics

top topics

join