It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled Water VS. Tap Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
With Americans spending over $8 billion a year on bottled water, it makes you wonder... is it really better for you?

You spend $1 for 20 ounces of bottled water. That same dollar will buy almost 900 gallons of tap water. That makes bottled water 5,600 times more expensive!

We have to have chlorine in our drinking water to kill the microorganisms so we don't get sick. Who knows what some companies might put into their water to get rid of these microorganisms.

Some bottled water came labeled as if it was from a mountain stream and, in fact, was city tap water. There are a lot of misleading labels on bottled water, what else are they lying to you about?

If you look at Alaskan Falls' label, you'll see a bear and a waterfall. But farther down, in very small print, it says it is filtered municipal tap water.

Bottled water is so ubiquitous that people can hardly ask for water anywhere without being handed a bottle.

Another area of potential concern is the fact that no agency calls for testing of bottled water after it leaves its initial packaging plant, leaving some to wonder what happens during months of storage and transport. To begin to examine this question, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment tested 80 samples of bottled water from retail stores and manufacturers. All 80 of the samples had detectable levels of chlorine, fluoride and sodium. Seventy-eight of the 80 contained some nitrate (which can cause methemoglobinemia, or blue-baby syndrome, in higher doses), 12 had nitrite, 53 had chloroform, 33 contained bromodichloro-methane, 25 had arsenic and 15 tested positive for lead.

Plastic water bottles can take 1,000 years to biodegrade. Nine out of 10 water bottles end up as garbage or litter, and that means 30 million per day.

Bottled water isn't healthier or 'greener' than tap water.

Source

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I totally hate tap water in urban or rural areas. The solution is a home filtration system, we use a Britta. It's a bit of a pain but the water is good and we only have a filter to change every other month.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
There's another thread about water you may find of interest:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Since I have been in US I miss the sweet tasting water back home, no matter where I go in the states I cannot find water that tastes good. Bottle water taste like plastic to me. I just filter mine.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I also use filtered water. The taste of the water lately hasn't been very satisfying... though I do buy bottled "purified drinking water" because it does taste better than city water.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The water in Phoenix is notoriously bad tasting. Health officials say that it is safe, but I hate the taste. We have used reverse osmosis for years and find that it is a very good system to take care of the water situation. Sometimes, when we are energetic, we even fill up old bottled water bottles with the water from the reverse osmosis. I highly recommend it.
joey

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Water in Toronto sucks, it taste metalic and chlorinated. I drink......incert product punch here.....(( evian)).

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I like tap water, but where I live the water comes from a underground spring. Portugal is one of the countries with more water in Europe, from springs or from underground natural resources.

As for the bottled water, we have many brands, national and foreign, and all have to be analysed with a certain frequency, and the label must have all the major components, besides the water, that that particular kind if water has.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Our water smells like fish, so that why I just drink pop.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I wonder if the reason of the way the water taste so different for me here in US is because the water back home comes from mountain streams, at least in my side of the Island other areas the water comes from reservoirs, here in US the water is either underground or reservoir also.

However, when it comes to bottler water I have my doubts how can you tell if they are not selling you just tap water in a bottler?

top topics

join