It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New type of aircraft flies like a UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Austrian research firm IAT21 has unveiled a radically new type of aircraft that could render the helicopter obsolete.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8bbfcecd08ba.jpg[/atsimg]

D-Dalus can 'approach as gently and silently as a hot air balloon', say its developers, hover, rotate in any direction and fly as fast as a jet.

The propulsion system consists essentially of four sets of contra-rotating disks, each driven at 2,200 rpm by a conventional aero-engine. The disks are surrounded by blades whose angle of attack can be altered using servos, allowing thrust in any direction.

Apparently, it's easier to fly than a helicopter, with a simple joystick control, and can be repaired by your average car mechanic.

seems like a fascinating aircraft, with limitless possibilities.. i can see an aircraft like this being widley used in the future, if they continue to develop it..

But, they add, in trials it looks as if larger versions are actually more efficient and less complex, meaning there's no reason why it couldn't be used in passenger aircraft.

They also envisage it being used as a hovering platform to load and unload ships.

Right now, the biggest version can only lift a payload of 70kg, although IAT21 is now working with the UK's Cranfield University on a larger, more powerful version.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e107c96196c5.jpg[/atsimg]

its good to see there is continued research and development into alternative methods of propulsion.. although i think we have some way to go yet, we are at least moving in the right direction..

for full article please follow link..
link to article
edit on 23/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Can't seem to find info on what the fuel source would be? Any idea?

Thanks! Very interesting.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Can't seem to find info on what the fuel source would be? Any idea?

Thanks! Very interesting.

not sure what the fuel source is although im sure it will have some sort of connection to fossil fuels..

here is a more in depth article about it, with pictures..
link

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
any footage of it in flight, or is it still Top Secret?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
we will see how far this will go

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Kind of reminds of the Brilliant Pebbles video. Is it something like this below?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i think this one is better.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
That Brilliant Pebbles video is funny with the crazy excitement... however I wasn't impressed, that looked like something that can be built in my backyard. easy....

....I want that Japanese craft, throw in a lightsaber too.

edit on 24-6-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Gasoline engines.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sounds ground breaking if indeeds its true.
That photo looks dodgy but!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

That's just great!!
Now all they need to do is add a camera to it and we're all screwed!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Failsafe would be the keyword in something with multiple engines and multiple servos, perhaps especially with anything that hovers. It does seem like a good solution in transport though, except that it seems to make the same mistake that most builders of transport make, build a platform and then stick people or things on it, or in it. Keyword there is to build something around people or things, specific to their particular needs, and so far there are very few vehicles made this way.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It uses a gasoline engine, I believe the first version uses a dirtbike motor so around 40HP or so...I read this on Fox....

top topics

join